> Help With Catenary
SRman
post 25 May 2020, 23:24
Post #16

Station Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,453

QUOTE (dwb @ 15 May 2020, 03:50) *
Despite having a large number of electric locos I have no intention of installing catenary on my layout but I do have plans for some tunnels and some pantographs will spring up from time to time so I have given some thought about what precaution I might take at tunnel portals. One thought I had was to rig up some code 75 rail to act as a kind of Armco to dip the pantograph under the portal. No idea if it will work.

David

A friend of mine did this with his tunnels, actually running the rail (code 75 or code 100) for the entire length of shorter tunnels. It does work because we tested it, even though he does not, as yet, have his overhead wiring set up (the masts are in place, though), by springing the pantographs up and allowing the locos to run through the tunnels. He has rigged some lead-in "ramps" on the rail overhead, but those will be cut off later when he runs the wires.
Go to the top of the page

+
dwb
post 26 May 2020, 16:12
Post #17

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

Thanks for the info! Most helpful smile.gif

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.
Go to the top of the page

+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2020 - 18:22