> Hornby Castle, Quality Assurance???
Maz066
post 22 Feb 2021, 11:55
Post #1

Engine Driver
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 11,099

Some years ago I bought R2459 Wellington a Hornby castle. My favourite class of loco. However this one has never been a good runner. You can have sessions and she runs as sweet as a bird. Then you reverse it and it stalls and stutters in both directions. So consequently it doesn't get much running.
I decided to strip it down to basics. Motor out pickups off, wheel sets out, con rods off, pistons off. It then runs sweetly by pushing- no locking up or rough bits.
Then I began to re-assemble.
With all con rods it was still good
Added pistons and things went wrong
After 2 solid days I found the problem. Two different diameter crank pins. Hardly discernable. The trailing and forward drive wheel set had different wheels on each side. On each axle there was one wheel with a slightly larger hole and thread for the crank pin. The larger hole took a slightly bigger crank pin. It was this crank pin which fouled the piston crosshead when the side play was a particular way. This has since sprung the piston assembly

Question- a new wheel set is cheap but getting it to OZ is a small fortune in postage. Is it possible to remove a wheel from each axle, swap them round so both front driver have the smaller pin? I know they are forced on but is it the case that when you remove them you cant put them back as firmly as before?

--------------------
Peter S
Go to the top of the page

+
34C
post 22 Feb 2021, 12:22
Post #2

In depth idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,818

QUOTE (Maz066 @ 22 Feb 2021, 12:55) *
... The larger hole took a slightly bigger crank pin. It was this crank pin which fouled the piston crosshead when the side play was a particular way. This has since sprung the piston assembly...

Removing and reseating the wheels accurately quartered is crucial to sweet running, but there's no guarantee it will work well when you swap wheels between axles, because the position of the axle splines is not controlled relative to the quartering when the wheels were first pressed on, and the wheels will reseat at the established position that the splines have moulded into the wheelseat.

I would suggest first trying simpler and fully reversible fixes. Limit the sideplay of the leading coupled wheels so that the crankpins cannot foul the crossheads: cementing on plasticard strips to the keeper plate sides is one method, or slipping fibre washers with a slot in them onto the axle. Also check the alignment of the slide bars, I have lost count of the number of outside cylinder models I have seen where the slide bars taper inwards toward the wheels. If this isn't enough, thinning down and rounding off the crankpin heads to eliminate the tendency to catch can also be tried.

+
34C
post 23 Feb 2021, 16:12
Post #3

In depth idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,818

I have realised on reading something elsewhere, that this must be the Castle model originating with Dapol, that was subsequently brought into Hornby's range. So I don't know if all (or indeed any!) of my suggestions are relevant; the only Hornby Castles I have fiddled with are from the tooling introduced about 2009/10. Treat what I previously posted with caution...

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th March 2021 - 07:25