Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to wire up a 3 aspect Berko colour light signal., Without using any modules etc...
madon37s
post 4 Nov 2017, 09:35
Post #1

Regional Controller

Group: Members
From: Shrewsbury, Shropshire ( where the sun always shines!)
Member No.: 3,956

Hi all,

I have just purchased a 3 aspect Berko colour light signal for my 'OO' layout and need help with how to wire it up properly using a switch of some sort so I can change the signal lights myself manually (I want to be able to play trains and stop and start loco's using my good old finger and NOT a signalling module)

Should be a picture below of the signal I want to wire up.

The next picture shows the very limited instructions in my opinion at least for the signal! I am confused by the "the remaining wires (red, green, yellow and black) should be connected to the + terminal of the 12 V DC supply! Surely if I connect them all up together all the lights will be on at the same time?

Next picture of the wires etc. I know the white wires are for the - (negative) side of my 12 V DC supply. I also realise that the 2 yellow, green and red wires are just because there is TWO colour signals.

Any help in this minefield of a wiring problem will be very much appreciated.

--------------------
Kind regards

Paul

Best day of my life = Getting married to Sue my wife. Second best day! = Riding behind 37429 in Regional Railways livery thrashing away on the North Wales Coast line.

Go to the top of the page

+
John Webb
post 4 Nov 2017, 09:42
Post #2

Railways Czar

Member No.: 144

Paul - no pictures apparent in your post. Your reference to '...red, yellow, green and black...' and the '..white wires...' suggest you possibly have a 4 aspect signal? (Or do they include the same instructions regardless of which type of signal it is?)

If you can post the image of the instructions it would help.

Regards,
John Webb

+
madon37s
post 4 Nov 2017, 09:54
Post #3

Regional Controller

Hi John,

It is a 3 aspect signal. I am struggling on how to put pictures on here for some reason because I've put many on before but can't seem to get it to work!

I'm using photobucket but I don't know which link I'm supposed to use

--------------------
Kind regards

Paul

Best day of my life = Getting married to Sue my wife. Second best day! = Riding behind 37429 in Regional Railways livery thrashing away on the North Wales Coast line.

+
madon37s
post 4 Nov 2017, 10:20
Post #4

Regional Controller

This is just silly! I keep getting this message every time I try to copy and paste the image link.. "Sorry, dynamic pages in the [IMG] tags are not allowed"

--------------------
Kind regards

Paul

+
John Webb
post 4 Nov 2017, 10:25
Post #5

Railways Czar

QUOTE (madon37s @ 4 Nov 2017, 09:54) *
Hi John,

It is a 3 aspect signal. I am struggling on how to put pictures on here for some reason because I've put many on before but can't seem to get it to work!

I'm using photobucket but I don't know which link I'm supposed to use

Photobucket have made life very difficult in the past few months - you can no longer use the IMG (=URL....) link because that won't work unless you've paid Photobucket their outrageous price. (I've given up on them myself.) I think if you copy and paste the DIRECT link, we can use that to go to your pictures in your Photobucket Album.

Back to the signal. The three white (common) wires should be connected together and the series resistor supplied by Berko placed between them and the -ve of you power supply. I think it's a 1kohm Berko supply, but I'd be inclined to substitute a 4.7kohm resistor as in my experience the signal appears far too bright with the 1kohm.

You can then use a three-way rotary switch to link the three LEDs in turn to the +ve of your power suppy. A cheaper alternative is to use two 1-pole change-over (CO) switches. +ve to common of switch 1; one contact to the red LED, other to the common of switch 2, which can then switch between the yellow and green LEDs but only when the red LED is off.
Hope that makes some sort of sense!

Regards,
John

+
madon37s
post 4 Nov 2017, 10:43
Post #6

Regional Controller

Hi John,

The rotary switch seems the easier option for me I think thanks. Can I ask though as my signal is a T junction one (2 separate signal heads) is there a certain way to wire up the rotary switch for both signals or do I just use 2 separate rotary switches?

I tried copy and pasting the direct link but got this error message from the forum

"Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:
Sorry, you do not have permission to edit that message"

John, what free internet pictture hosting service do you use or can you recommend one?

--------------------
Kind regards

Paul

+
Suzie
post 4 Nov 2017, 11:43
Post #7

Foreman

Member No.: 5,367

If you can get a 6-way 2-pole rotary switch like Maplin FF74R and move the end stop to position 5 it will be quite easy to do. You can use the two poles of the switch with one for each head of the signal. Switch positions will have:-

1. Left green, right red.
2. Left yellow, right red.
3. Left red, right red.
4. Left red. right yellow.
5. Left red, right green.
(6. Left red, right green)

Position 6 wiring only required if there is no adjustable end stop.

Just leave the switch in position 3 until you set a route, then you can move the switch left to position 1 or 2 to clear a route to the left, or position 4 or 5 to clear a route to the right. Return the switch promptly to position 3 when the train has moved away.

If you can add a switch like a Peco PL15 to the point you can have a 3-way 4-pole switch and use a more complex wiring arrangement such that only the head for the selected route will be cleared.

--------------------
Suzie x

+
madon37s
post 4 Nov 2017, 12:14
Post #8

Regional Controller

Hi Suzie,

Thanks for your reply. I have just bought a 2-pole 6-way rotary switch so I will have a go at wiring that up it when it comes. I'm sorry but I really have no electronic's experience and the wiring is still a bit confusing for me until I get the switch and physically see the solder tabs and their position on the back of the switch

Not sure how you would move the end stop but I'll see when the switch comes i suppose.

--------------------
Kind regards

Paul

+
dwb
post 4 Nov 2017, 15:51
Post #9

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

A few notes on posting images.

* Photobucket no longer allows images posted on their site to be referenced from third party sites such as this forum without you paying them a fee. This has caused uproar across the internet as many other forums are affected.

* Other photo sharing sites such as Flikr still allow images uploaded to their site to be referenced.

* 'Dynamic' tags are not allowed because they can be used to inject malicious code into the server (forum) and browser (your PC) conversation.

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
madon37s
post 4 Nov 2017, 19:04
Post #10

Regional Controller

Many thanks David for the explanation. I shall have to join Flikr or another site to allow me to upload my images on here then thumbsup.gif

--------------------
Kind regards

Paul

+
dwb
post 4 Nov 2017, 19:51
Post #11

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

I look forward to seeing photos of how you are progressing. smile.gif

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
John Webb
post 4 Nov 2017, 20:38
Post #12

Railways Czar

QUOTE (madon37s @ 4 Nov 2017, 10:43) *
Hi John,

The rotary switch seems the easier option for me I think thanks. Can I ask though as my signal is a T junction one (2 separate signal heads) is there a certain way to wire up the rotary switch for both signals or do I just use 2 separate rotary switches?

Excellent suggestion from Suzie - I recommend it!

QUOTE (madon37s @ 4 Nov 2017, 10:43) *
John, what free internet picture hosting service do you use or can you recommend one?

I haven't yet made up my mind how to do this, but will let you know when I've sorted it out!

John

+
butler-henderson
post 4 Nov 2017, 20:46
Post #13

Station Master

Member No.: 3,211

Paul

The end stop is simply like a washer with downward tag on that fits around the threaded fixing the same as the fixing nut and washers. The tag fits in one of a number of numbered slots indicating how many ways you want the switch to operate. The one thing you can get wrong is changing the end stop with the rotary mechanism at the the wrong end so you think you have set it for the five ways but it is locked solid - in this case simply remove the end stop and rotate the switch away from that end.

There will be two tags at the centre of the underside (probably labelled A and C if not A and B ) and 12 tags around the outside of the underside numbered 1-12. Tag A make contact to 1-6 and the other lettered tag to 7-12, so for example the middle position of 5 ways will be the numbered terminals 3 and 9.

mike

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th July 2020 - 03:01