Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The British Rail Class 37 diesel loco, The long lived and versatile classic Co-Co
kevsmith
post 27 Jul 2018, 19:37
Post #1

Passed Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,527

When English Electric and British railways introduced the 'Type 3' in 1960 I doubted they had any idea how long, and in how many guises, these 1750Hp Co-Cos would survive still in traffic. At the last reckoning 70 or so are still registered for main line traffic ranging from the original Class 37/0s, 13 ETH fitted Class 37/4s most of which are in passenger service, quite a few 37/5s and 37/6s, some heavyweight 37/7s fitted with the additional ballast weights and the odd smattering of 37/9s and the Network rail Class 97s which are 37s fitted with the ERTMS signalling system.

So plenty to go at if we had a Z gauge example to work on.

Good news! Ivan and Graham Jones have been working on a 3D orinted sample and some test prints have been done to see how if goes.

The example chosen is the split headcode box type typical of the early examples

D6800 (Later 37 100 ) is seen on a traclkifting train on the great Central at Duckmanton South in May 1964 in this picture taken by my father.

many many years later Direct Rail Services 37 087 heads a top and tailed Barrow to Sellafield working through Askam in Furness

So the model is printed in Acrylic. It used to be called FUD but Shapeways have changed all the names of the plastics and I havn't got used to them yet

I have not done any cleaning up yet, other than a dunk in the ultrasonic cleaning bath and the application of a light coat of Acrylic plastic primer as a reveal coat to see where it might need some layer lines sanding out so this gives an idea of the detail

It is sat on a Marklin BR103/151 chassis . This is my test chassis that has chewed up drive gears and a dead motor but is handy for checking if things fit. Because the 37 has a pronounced tumblehome at the bottom of the bodysides the little locating lugs that project out of the side of the chassis have to be removen and the ends shaped to fit the tapered nose

I'll keep updating you as I go on with it

Kev

Go to the top of the page

+
kevsmith
post 4 Aug 2018, 20:49
Post #2

Passed Fireman

Main area to clean up was under the grills where there seemed to be echo lines, the nose ends and the tumble home. Most of the layer lines were just adzed out with a really sharp scalpel blade and then buffed up with some homemade sanding sticks.

As this is a test print and has no buffers I drilled the buffer holes and the headlamp apertures in the headcode box

sec of reveal primer

seen with the donor loco fresh from ebay.de

I used Humbrol acrylic Railblue over the acrylic primer but didn't go mad. I wanted to get a tired Railblue hue because the first one I'm going to model is one of Tinsley TMD's infamous unofficial named 37s

37 013 'Vampire' had received the depot's hand painted 'nameplate' while still in railblue when many of the depots other 37s had already been rebranded into RFD subsector livery

should be fun even getting close to that sort of weathering!

Kev

+
kevsmith
post 5 Aug 2018, 18:23
Post #3

Passed Fireman

Chassis mods

Tapering the ends to fit the nose end

removing the edges

removing the locating lugs

You'll notice I'm doing this while the chassis is intact. Any dust gets removed when the chassis has a blat in the ultrasonic cleaning bath

The most important difference is made when the wheelcentres are painted very dark grey. They just look so wrong n the original red.

first coat of gloss lacquer going on tonight prior to the application of the decals

Kev

+
Allegheny1600
post 6 Aug 2018, 10:08
Post #4

What do I put here!?!
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 6,567

Hello Kev,
That is looking really good indeed.
I keep looking at Z scale as a way of modelling 'trains in the landscape' and it's very tempting.
Cheers,
John.

--------------------
Roll on, Southern Pacific, On your silver rails, Through the moonlight.
N. Young. 2011

My layout: Leberecht

Read This: Is this fair?

+
kevsmith
post 13 Aug 2018, 19:22
Post #5

Passed Fireman

Finished, well apart from the windscreen wipers that I'll fit when I'm psyched up to do it

Finished in Humbrol Acrylic railblue and given a couple of coats of Hycote Clear lacquer. left to harden off for a couple of days before the decals are applied

decals were 2mm ones from Precision decals so slightly big but it looks O.K to me. Precision are doing a lot of the Tinsley unofficial named locos as complete sets with the TOPS panels, arrows and loco numbers. OHL warning plates came from one of Tony Hill's Class 47 decal sets

Cab side windows were very thin polycarbonate sheet, the rest of the windows were glazed with Krystal Klear

probably the nicest one yet by Ivan, just the cleaning up of the layer lines took a bit of effort.

I'm at Carnforth exhibition this weekend so I''ll give it a good running-in turn on Republic Steel

next I'll get the single headcode version, suppose I'd better do one of ours next

cheers

Kev

+
kevsmith
post 14 Aug 2018, 18:00
Post #6

Passed Fireman

One outcome of doing the 37 was a rekindling of my interest in Tinsley TMD, I joined a couple of Flickr groups on yahoo dedicated to the depot and started to take a serious look at the hundreds of pictures I took there back in the day.

Far too many to upload as images to the web I decided to assemble the 37 pics, which include many of the 'namers' as a slide show on youtube

link

Tinsley TMD

Lots of ideas for more Class 37s!

Kev

+
kevsmith
post 3 Mar 2019, 21:01
Post #7

Passed Fireman

So
The second 37 I've finished is 37 008 'Hornet' in early railfreight livery and complete with Unofficial Tinsley 'Nameplates'

The prototype looked a sorry sight last time I saw it

Not the best picture I've taken on the layout but here is the Z one with a rake of Steel coil carriers in Cardiff Rod Mill livery. Behind it are the three six wheel steelworks 'Ingot mould cars' I've been working on. These are a conversion of the Marklin six wheel crane wagon

I'm at Keighley Model railway exhibition next weekend and they'll be running on the layout along with the full coil steel rake seen here behind 'Vampire'

cheers

Kev

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th July 2020 - 10:01