> European couplers, (the real ones)
Richard Johnson
post 6 Feb 2020, 10:53
Post #1

Just another modeller
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 703

*** The prototype has variances in couplers just as our models do, especially in Europe.

As the only one I know who has been intimately involved with the prototype, I guess this question is to John (Greyvoices) really

European couplers.... (the real ones). What is the current status of this?

I understand that there was a plan to standardise away from screw-link types... Initially using the UIC automatic coupler / C-akv type, with a transition that saw all wagons produced from mid 70's being made ready for conversion at a "to be determined date" by also having a mounting built in for the new coupler.

Clearly there is a huge advantage in (freight) coupler standardisation given the amount of cross-border traffic... plus the silk road and other things. It must save huge costs not having to change things at borders. I also heard that the need for wheel replacement on wagons significantly reduced by a more stable coupling arrangement.

Is there really any grand plan for a changeover? Is there any current timetable?

regards, Richard

--------------------

Direct honest advice from DCC, DC & Modelling experts

Please do visit us at Unit E, The Sidings, BD24 9RP.... right behind Settle Station.
Ph +44 (0) 1729 821 080 or email to
[email protected]
Further customer service available online at:
https://www.dccconceptsforum.com
Go to the top of the page

+
98 835
post 5 May 2020, 11:18
Post #2

Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,279

I don't think I'll live to see that.
Yes it is the C-AKv-coupler in the test but no appointment or agreement has been made yet.

Important arguments about the C-AKv-coupler

UIC Conformity
In contrast to the unchanged SA-3 coupling and the Janney coupling, the C-AKv coupling fulfils the UIC specifications which led to the development of the UIC centre buffer coupling;
it complies with the UIC 522-1 standard, including reliable coupling in the tight curve radii of Western and Central Europe.
In particular, the coupling is compatible with installation frames according to UIC 530-1, which have been installed on numerous railway vehicles since the 1980s.

TSI conformity
Within the European Union, the Technical Specification for Interoperability (TSI) from 2006 (2006/861/EC) is applicable.
This stipulates that wagons must be able to be coupled with the screw coupling system. This can also be made possible via an auxiliary coupling.
The C-Akv coupling meets the requirements in combination with side buffers. A revision of this TSI is necessary if the C-Akv is to become the standard coupler.

Longitudinal Jerking
Without additional buffers, there is play in the longitudinal direction between adjacent wagons, which leads to longitudinal jolts.
This is not desirable in passenger transport for reasons of comfort.
Technical additions such as fixed rubber buffers directly on the coupling are therefore being discussed. It shares this property with the SA-3 coupling.
On passenger coaches equipped with SA-3, side buffers are fitted to impose a permanent tension on the coupling as a compulsory feature.

--------------------
Yours sincerely Franz
============================
Visit my club on Facebook FdE Burscheid e.V. (sorry, only in German)
Go to the top of the page

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2020 - 19:30