dwb
post 7 Jan 2019, 18:42
Post #1

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

Hornby have listed their new products for 2019 on their website here

Jan 8th PM. I have removed moderation from replies. Not sure how that got set ...

David

This post has been edited by dwb: 8 Jan 2019, 19:33
Reason for edit: Enable un-moderated responses

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.
Go to the top of the page

+
34C
post 7 Jan 2019, 20:28
Post #2

In depth idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,818

It's an ambitious release list and there is a lot for a lot of people within it. Some better coverage of post steam than the recent past
I feel, and they have clearly been busy judging by some of the planned release dates. The first tranche of Terriers are pretty much
about to leave China.

If there was an omission that surprised me, it was the 'final form' streamlined version of the P2. The chassis block tooling shows this
version was planned, and I should have though that the original version is past peak in terms of sales. But hey, with any luck there
will be a next year for Hornby if this bumper selection sells well...

+
Richard Lee
post 8 Jan 2019, 06:34
Post #3

Engine Driver
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 12,381

They have saved me some money. I was very pleased to see a mainland SR Terrier in Maunsell Green, until I realised that I already had a Hornby Terrier with that number in that livery. On the other hand, some of their brake vans look interesting to me, unfortunately for my wallet.

+
kristopher1805
post 8 Jan 2019, 17:54
Post #4

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,315

Interesting selection but not much for my 1962 railway, so I am thinking about up grading my mark 1 coaches, a few locos but have a good selection now of recent models some more appropriate freight wagons but overall there is not much there, my money may be mostly safe so hope the strategy works as we need Hornby so they have to sell some stuff.

Excitement levels at 0 (zero)

+
Peter Armond
post 8 Jan 2019, 20:08
Post #5

Footplate Inspector

Member No.: 560

Maybe too many people trying to access their web site in so far that it is so slow I have given up.

However from the Hattons web site I can say there is only one item that interests me and that is the A1X Terrier. My first locomotive when I returned to model railways in 1999 was a Terrier which probably needs a new motor (not available) but I have just about given up on it.

Interesting to see the new Terrier is available DCC fitted. I may take the chance of ordering that version.

I share your level of excitement Kristopher, zero. Disappointing but maybe Bachman will be more exciting.

+
dwb
post 9 Jan 2019, 18:36
Post #6

Station cat
Group Icon

Maybe too many people trying to access their web site in so far that it is so slow I have given up.

That was certainly my experience using two different devices in two different locations. It took a lot of perseverance to get through all the pages and there was no explanation as to what was new tooling. The Hattons website summary was more useful for that.

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
rb277170
post 9 Jan 2019, 20:51
Post #7

Foreman

Member No.: 110

Looks a very good range of introductions. Catalogue already in shops

+
butler-henderson
post 10 Jan 2019, 17:52
Post #8

Station Master

Member No.: 3,211

The Terrier was a late addition to the announced range and as a result may not be covered in the model mags when they publish details of Hornbys 2019 range. Hornbys own The Collector magazine misses it whilst covering the remainder. For the record aside from the Terrier there is their fourth attempt at a Princess Royal, the last one dating from 2001 and significantly better than the 1950 and 1984 versions, a GW 5101/61xx 2-6-2T replacing the 1977 Airfix one in their range but seemingly in direct competition with Dapol who had already announced it, a Peckett B2 outside cylinder 0-6-0ST and a Ruston & Hornby 48DM 4wDM with detachable conflat to ensure electrical pick up. Notably Hornby UK seem to have finally realised a 6 pin DCC socket exists as they have announced a 6 pin decoder; looks to be a bit of bodge being a 6 pin cable to a pcb decoder rather than the normal integrated type (and I'm assuming it is a proper 6 pin and a not a Hornby cobble like their 4 pin).
The new coaches are SR 59ft Bulleid corridor composite and brake thirds to make up 3 coach sets, GW Collett 57ft bow-ended suburbans which presumably consign the 1977 Airfix B Set coaches to history or the Railroad range, the latest alteration of BR Mk3s with sliding doors and oddly BR Mk2Fs which Bachmann have just released (its not as if every variety of Mk2 has been produced).
The final termination of an old late 70s Airfix model is a new LMS 20T Brake Van along with a LSWR 20T 'New Van' Brake Van which is a different later brake van (twin ended) to the single ended one Kernow are doing.

+
dwb
post 10 Jan 2019, 19:19
Post #9

Station cat
Group Icon

The Terrier was a late addition to the announced range and as a result may not be covered in the model mags when they publish details of Hornbys 2019 range.

It's not in the Feb 2019 edition of Hornby Magazine which was on the doormat when I got home tonight.

Gaugemaster have created a list of all the new introductions here. When I tried it out at lunch time it was very responsive. Useful if you need to know everything.

I am tempted by the TTS P2 sound decoder.

David

--------------------

+
rb277170
post 10 Jan 2019, 20:38
Post #10

Foreman

Member No.: 110

Scotrail HST for me. A good range I think

+
dwb
post 11 Jan 2019, 20:24
Post #11

Station cat
Group Icon

The latest installment in Hornby's Engine Shed blog gives a quick run down on the models being produced with new tooling - link.

It took me several attempts to get to that page this evening so some persistence may be required.

David

--------------------

+
Allegheny1600
post 12 Jan 2019, 11:11
Post #12

What do I put here!?!
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,567

I must confess, the Peckett B2 is actually rather exciting to me!
If it runs as well as the earlier 0-4-0 version did and there's no reason to assume not, then it should be a truly fantastic little model.

Ideas of a little industrial backwater keep appearing in my mind.
Cheers,
John.

--------------------
Roll on, Southern Pacific, On your silver rails, Through the moonlight.
N. Young. 2011

My layout: Leberecht

Read This: Is this fair?

+
Adrian Swain
post 12 Jan 2019, 12:14
Post #13

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 23,994

Hi Folks Hornby's 2019 range is quite ambitious bearing in mind previous years products being pushed back but for me the LSWR brake van
is pleasing having known about it for a year or more. The big disappointment has been the Maunsell Kitchen diner with two more releases but
both are the same livery as before, especially having just bought the new companion open saloon which turned out to be in lined Maunsell
green. I had also hoped the Maunsell lined high window composite would complete the series but I was aware that is still for the future.
Similarly the Radial in prewar guise to go with the Lyme Regis set, which still remains stranded at Lyme station.

...Modellers of the current scene should be pretty happy with the coaching stock proposed although quite how many will be buying complete
rakes which work out at over 10' long is debatable. I suspect most will only buy 3 or 4 intermediate coaches which may leave a lot of stock
of the later suffixes unsold if they all go for the first items in the list.

...My Airfix LMS brakevan, good though it is, may not now get the upgrade which I have been putting off for, my goodness !, it is now almost
40 years. The Bulleid shorties are a good reuse of the chassis although the chassis of the Push Pull driving coach which appears to be under
these is not perfect. It does not involve much alteration and even that should not take more than a few minutes per coach.

…. The biggest surprise is the reintroduction of items originally released by Triang before 1964, yet again. In addition the tiny Ruston was a bit
of a shock, I know how small they are as I have a 7mm model I built years back but they are a very useful little loco and if you can cram a stay
alive DCC unit in somewhere the conflat can be dispensed with. The 4th generation or is it really the 5th Princess pacific was expected by many
and most will love the six coupled Peckett.

… Quite how the competing Terriers and GWR Prairies will compare does not so much depend on quality but who is first on sale although at the
moment the Rails/Dapol version seems to be inheriting the faults of the 7mm version and the Hornby model looks to be a CGI creation at this
stage. Both have one annoying error which is a carry over from the original 4mm model and the 7mm version due to the use of inaccurate
drawings and lack of research.

+
Grifter_Guru
post 13 Jan 2019, 02:20
Post #14

Station Master

Member No.: 5,003

QUOTE (dwb @ 10 Jan 2019, 19:19) *
I am tempted by the TTS P2 sound decoder.

David

I may be tempted to sell the TTS decoder from my P2....

--------------------
Instructions ? WHAT?!?!?! A man don't need instructions! Oh............wait a minute...........................What's this bit for?
Vita imitatur artem imitantur vitae
How to Post Images From Flickr
Memorylane: The Website
Memory Lane: Continuing My Fathers Work
Signalling Memory Lane - The Detailed discussion Topic Q&A + Going Loopy with points
ViTrains: Class 37 "How-To"
How to Install OSX Mojave on X220 & T420

+
Ray Sadler
post 19 Jan 2019, 19:17
Post #15

Guard

Member No.: 15,210

Already Is hear the Peckett B2 has moved back from Q1 2019 to June 2019

+

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th July 2020 - 11:14