Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Allenshaw (An Inglenook Variation)
Luckymucklebacki...
post 18 Jan 2019, 14:45
Post #1

Baggage Porter

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,781

This is a layout that I am trying to build to exhibition standards as an alternative to my main loft layout "Gateside and Northbridge", it is being built as a modular project that can form part of the main loft layout or be removed and incorporated in another support frame as a 8ft x 1 ft portable layout

Got to the stage where the main shunting "plank" is 90% finished and I in progress of constructing the support frame that will make it a standalone layout with a small fiddle yard. Here are a few photographs of the story so far. The back story is that this is a truncated branchline serving a small foundry, the line once continued on past the bridge but that part is closed and lifted, the track over the bridge remains as a headshunt for the foundry sidings. This has prototypical provenance as there was a real "Allenshaw Foundry" on the old North British Railway line to Hamilton, and the stump of that had a headshunt on a girder bridge (albeit of a different design)

Couple of general views first:

The "muddied op" look for the sidings, sprinkled plaster onto the surface and lightly misted water over the top, this is bit ook a long time to dry. I mixed two shades of brown acrylic to avoid getting the surface colour too uniform. The milky looking patches are gloss varnish dropped onto a few hollows to try and simulate puddles.

One thing that I have never attempted on any of my previous layouts is a water feature, so I chiselled out a "culvert" at the side of the shunting neck, either the foundry manager is going to get a visit from the environmental people for allowing hydraulic water to escape into the culvert or more likely the last coat of varnish hasn't fully dried biggrin.gif

View from a drone flying over Allenshaw

And a couple of further general views

Currently under construction is the bridge parapets in wood and plasticard. The plasticard being used was suggested by another modeller, it is Slaters 7mm scale Cotswold Stone which looks not unlike 4mm scale Ashlar, once painted it should look good.

As the Inglenook board is not a plain rectangle I have formed some timber to fill the notch that is necessary to fit the board around the roof beams when it is part of the main layout.

The bridge is one of the laser cut kits currently available on-line, but I modified this to make it look a bit more like the bridge that took the Caledonian Railway "Switchback" freight line that ran round the East end of Glasgow over the North British line to Airdrie.

Hope this may be of some interest.

Jim
Go to the top of the page

+
dwb
post 18 Jan 2019, 19:34
Post #2

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

Very good. clap.gif

I particularly like the bridge section.

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.
Go to the top of the page

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th August 2020 - 09:32