Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Keep getting "short circuit" after fitting new DCC chips
Raging_Gerbil
post 21 Jul 2009, 11:29
Post #1

Baggage Porter

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,085

Hey guys, this is my first ever post on here!

Not yet started my layout but i think ive got most of it planned out.

Theres two problems I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions for.

Recently I've been trying to fit Bachmann EZ 2 function decoders to some of the locos ive picked up off ebay.
One of which is a old hornby class 35 hymek (same motor as the HST i think). I hardwired in the chip as youre supposed to, but when i tried to test it my controller (bachmann dynamis) kept saying there was a short circuit. I cant seem to find any reason why it would, no links between the different pickups etc, so i tried another chip, and another motor, STILL short circuit sad.gif
THEN i tried my bachmann 46 and it was getting short circuit again!
But its not the track or controller because i have another 2 chip fitted locos that work...so im completely baffled.

Also i fitted one to a cheap hornby class 55 deltic. It works fine, but whenever its moving the motor buzzes like crazy. Ive heard of some "silent" decoders you can get, but is there an easier way to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions guys (sorry to have to make my first post so demanding lol)

Dave
Go to the top of the page

+
Brian Considine
post 21 Jul 2009, 12:46
Post #2

No Longer Active.
Group Icon

Member No.: 702

Hi Dave (not another one !),

Welcome to MRF.

Did you make sure that both motor brushes have been isolated from the chassis ? If this is OK then, if everything else is OK then it's probably a faulty decoder.

If the Hornby locomotive has the 3-pole ringfield type motor they are noisey, especially with low cost decoders. The Bachmann 3-function is much better (it's actually made by ESU).

It's essential that a locomotive runs well on analogue DC before it's chipped. A good locomotive will run better on DCC with a decent decoder, a bad locomotive will run worse.

Hope this helps.

+
Richard Johnson
post 21 Jul 2009, 13:27
Post #3

Just another modeller
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 703

***With the earlier motor bogies, one brush clip is held by a screw which goes through the plastic and contacts the metal frame... this could be the issue. If so you need to either shorten the screw or replace with a plastic screw.

If you'd like to post an image of the motor bogie/chassis, then perhaps we can tell you more about this one specifically.....

just to recap the way to do it....

check loco runs well on DC. Its worth stripping older SH buys and really cleaning the motor up first, especially if they've been over-oiled. Don't be afraid to strip and clean them in the sink with dishwashing liquid and hot water... just rinse thouroughtly and leave to dry well before U take the next step.

If all is OK running wise, then re-check each pickup is doing its job, and if not adjust before doing the install

Remove all capacitors chokes etc and place in rubbish bin.

remove any wires from motor brushes, test for proper isolation by placing the loco on the track and then while one meter probe is on a brush, touch both rails - there should be no reading from the meter. repeat with other brush holder.

then wire black and red to pickups, orange and gray to motor brushes.

all should be good

regards

Richard

--------------------

Direct honest advice from DCC, DC & Modelling experts

Please do visit us at Unit E, The Sidings, BD24 9RP.... right behind Settle Station.
Ph +44 (0) 1729 821 080 or email to
[email protected]
Further customer service available online at:
https://www.dccconceptsforum.com

+
Raging_Gerbil
post 21 Jul 2009, 16:42
Post #4

Baggage Porter

Member No.: 6,085

Thanks a lot of the tips guys, im determined to fix them its just a matter of time!

At the moment im going to focus more on clearing out the attic and building my layout up there.

I'll let you know how it goes!

+
hoonsou
post 22 Jul 2009, 22:53
Post #5

Chief cook & bottle washer
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 280

Clearing out the attic eh ! That's the same as us lot down here clearing out under the house........... good luck to you mate.
Oh, and welcome.

--------------------
Cheers, Peter.

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th August 2020 - 23:31