Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arduino DCC++controller
Rod Merrall
post 6 Apr 2021, 17:15
Post #1

Baggage Porter

Group: Members
Member No.: 216,467

I am interested in building an arduino base station and have bought a uno and motor shield. The you tube videos suggest an arduino L298P shield which I have. The video I watched recommended a 15 volt power supply but the spec for the shield ( an arduino A000079) says 7 - 12 volts input. My question is can I use 15 volts safely?

Go to the top of the page

+
Alex Hempel
post 7 Apr 2021, 01:35
Post #2

Guard

Member No.: 197,345

Hi Rod,

I'd take a look at the DCC++ Ex page about power supplies (DCC++ Ex being the current, actively developed version of DCC++). In general that website has a lot of very useful information. I've been reading it a lot because I am planning to set up a separate programming track with a DCC++ box.

+
roadswitcher
post 9 Apr 2021, 20:53
Post #3

Baggage Porter

Member No.: 11,680

look at this youtube you must make a cut in the l298 shield see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z9Kwjp8RuQ...ex=2&t=575s

at time 12.28
regards Charly

+
roadswitcher
post 9 Apr 2021, 21:03
Post #4

Baggage Porter

Member No.: 11,680

you must look at 2.30 in this video the shield is for 12v but it looks it cann handle 15 v good vid for dcc

+
TimP
post 10 Apr 2021, 12:31
Post #5

Fireman

Member No.: 1,764

I usr arduinos in some of my work, and have designed HATs for them (despite being more of a software person than hardware).

The voltage regulator (assuming you aren't feeding through USB) is not the most sophisticated and will generate a lot of heat if you give it too high a voltage. I tend to set mine at around 7.5V this is enough to ensure voltage is taken from external power rather than USB but generates minimum heat.

My applications require very long term 24x7 operation so I am probably far more sensitive to this than most. (Mine are used for UPS power status / level reporting on remote comms towers)

--------------------

+
Rod Merrall
post 20 Apr 2021, 18:10
Post #6

Baggage Porter

Member No.: 216,467

Thanks for the help. I have now connected everything up using a 12 volt supply for now. The trains run and I have 12 volts at the input terminals naturally. But when I measure the output there is no voltage either at the terminal or the track. I'm confused!

Rod

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2021 - 03:25