> Hello from Manchester
Woodsmith
post 25 Mar 2013, 20:08
Post #1

Baggage Porter

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,783

Hello,
It has taken a while but I have finally managed to join the forum.
I am planning to build a model railway and figured that as I haven't had any contact with model rail since the late 70's I should learn a bit first. To that end I have joined a couple of forums to see what is what. smile.gif

I am looking at building an end to end set up that is inspired by aspects of the Trafford Park industrial railway and some other architectural favorites. It will probably be in OO but I might look at N to get get more linear mileage.
I will also need to learn about this 'new fangled DCC thing too! tongue.gif

I have a background in engineering and furniture making and I am a 'retired due to ill health' teacher. The model railway, along with my other projects, are all part of my desire to get work fit again and back to a proper living. As such my budgets are low to minimal, but I do have a fiance who is as keen to have a model railway as I am!

I will probably do a lot of reading, and post questions as I frame them in my mind, and in my layout requirements.
Currently I guess I don't know what I don't know yet! biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+
TonyDaly
post 25 Mar 2013, 20:20
Post #2

Regional Controller

Member No.: 2,256

Welcome to the friendly forum Mr Woodsmith.
Lots of very helpful people on here.

Here are a couple of sites to get you started.
http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/
http://www.dccconcepts.com/index_files/DCCadvice1.htm

That should keep you busy for a couple of years biggrin.gif
Any questions just ask away.

--------------------
Regards.
Tony.
South West Ireland.

The only stupid questions are the one's you don't ask.

+
post 25 Mar 2013, 20:24
Post #3

Station Master

Member No.: 136

Hi there Mr Woodsmith
Welcome to the forum . I hope you enjoy your stay.

Regards

--------------------
Tony
Goon Valley Railway

To view the GVR thread click below

https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...?showtopic=5160

+
Gary Russ
post 25 Mar 2013, 21:30
Post #4

Fireman

Member No.: 13,587

Welcome to this forum. You are very fortunate in your fiance!

--------------------
Gary
Sydney, Australia
Z scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout".

+
kristopher1805
post 25 Mar 2013, 22:01
Post #5

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 8,315

Hello to Woodsmith of Manchester

You are in the right place, that said this is not a cheap hobby - if you get carried away, experience of mine own says thats very easy to do, sounds like your fiancé is a bit of a gem, anyway there are no stupid questions, best to plan a bit. At this stage it would be a good idea to buy 2 essential publications

1. Peco setrack plans book, this has lots of layouts to suit price levels and gives the exact track requirement which is needed thus saving on extras, as you will find this is code 100 Peco which is all but the same as Hornby track so it has some limitations but the plans are I think helpful, the book well put together and unlike some of Mr Freezers plans they will work.

2. The Peco Catalog, now this may not be as exciting as ones full of lovely locos but on the other hand there is a load of info and reading this lot will help you to understand the current scene a bit more and hopefully assist in the avoidance of errors when you come to the build.

Christopher

+
Woodsmith
post 25 Mar 2013, 22:31
Post #6

Baggage Porter

Thanks for the welcome.
I am doing a lot of reading at the moment, that spreads costs out over a longer period!

My fiance likes building scenery and fine detail work, but before meeting me also did a little bit of work on the restoration of, IIRC, P&O 35006.
I think I am lucky, and I am grateful enough to give over the largest guestroom in the house to create a design studio/craft workshop for her. thumbsup.gif

The plan, I think, is that I will probably design and build the layout and set up the track and electricals while she will produce the scenery and environmental details. However, I need to decide if I can find space for a long narrow end to end (which is what I would prefer) or if I will have to wrap it around itself in a smaller space.

+
Long funnel ...
post 26 Mar 2013, 03:11
Post #7

Longfunnelled&tiresome

Member No.: 10,630

Welcome Mr Woodsmith.
We in the North East like to brag about the Team Valley being the first Industrial Estate in the UK, but Trafford Park I understand dates back to the 1920s - it is where Ford first made British model Ts before moving to Dagenham. And I believe it had its own railway system!

Here are two excellent threads well worth checking out: a retired teacher scratch building Cheadle North station on the Cheshire Lines
and this one where Jaz, a very spirited lady, is intent on overbuilding Arboretum valley!

Please keep us posted on developments.
LF&T

+
David Todd
post 26 Mar 2013, 06:18
Post #8

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 11,373

Morning...........................Welcome to the MRF................... thumbsup2.gif

--------------------
........dt........

Link below,is to my layout, Dover Priory and Town Yard.Kent Uk
https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...showtopic=20477

]Click this link and watch my Naff Video Company,clips,of my layout
http://www.youtube.com/user/ferriesdover/videos

+
Long funnel ...
post 26 Mar 2013, 12:02
Post #9

Longfunnelled&tiresome

QUOTE (Woodsmith @ 25 Mar 2013, 23:31) *
Thanks for the welcome.
My fiance likes building scenery and fine detail work, but before meeting me also did a little bit of work on the restoration of, IIRC, P&O 35006.
I think I am lucky, and I am grateful enough to give over the largest guestroom in the house to create a design studio/craft workshop for her. thumbsup.gif
In which case you ought to be very wary about getting a welcome from ...dt... of Dover in the above post.
We should tell you he was for many years a Deck Officer on cruise ships of The Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company - well known for selecting officers who cut a dash in a white uniform, have a cut glass accent and above all a special way with the ladies.
You have been warned.
innocent.gif
LF&T

+
Brian Considine
post 26 Mar 2013, 15:56
Post #10

No Longer Active.
Group Icon

Member No.: 702

Hi there & welcome to MRF.

Keep us posted on developments please & any questions please ask away.

BTW - a first name would be nice (we like first names on MRF).

+
Woodsmith
post 27 Mar 2013, 11:13
Post #11

Baggage Porter

Thanks for the replies.

I will have a look at the links, LF&T, and see how they look and work. smile.gif

I downloaded SCARM to have a play with layouts but as I only have a laptop with a trackpad I can't scroll the layout on the screen. May need to get a three button mouse, an something to use it on.

The initial attempts suggest N maybe better then OO for the linear layout I'd like to have.
We're off to the York Model Railway Show at the weekend to see what is what. smile.gif

Woody

(No real names for me, due to an internet stalker a few years back. I did email and explain to Admin when I registered but my email was rejected and undelivered.)

+
Long funnel ...
post 27 Mar 2013, 12:03
Post #12

Longfunnelled&tiresome

We'll just do the usual MRF thing then and call you Dave, almost all of us call ourselves Dave - except for the Brians.
Simple but effective.
smile.gif
Dave (LF&T)

PS
BTW have you seen the thread running on N compared to 00 gauge? Some say the downside to N is less choice of RTR stock and the even more fiddly difficulty of installing a DCC decoder.

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th August 2020 - 11:17