Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ++Buy my Layout...please?++, before we resign to e-bay...
post 19 Mar 2006, 15:08
Post #1

Ticket Collector

Group: Members
Member No.: 217

Hi....I have a rather, how should we say, petite N Gauge Layout that is now up for sale.
I am a fairly regular (fairly) contributor to these boards so thought I may try it here first.

Buy my layout - please! Don't let me resign myself to e-bay and further hassles!!
If you would like to simply take a look please click on through...

http://www.modeltracks.co.uk/

At present there is no set price and I'm open to all offers!

Thanks for looking,
Best wishes,

Jules
Go to the top of the page

+
post 19 Mar 2006, 17:59
Post #2

Regional Controller
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 3

To be honest Jules that looks like a classic Ebay item that could fetch large amounts of money. It would be hard to put a value on it.

Happy modelling
Gary

+
post 21 Mar 2006, 22:42
Post #3

Ticket Collector

I'm trying to work that out as a compliment or a hidden 'dig?!' Mind, I do like the sound of 'Classic e-bay item, worth a lot of money!!!!' Thanks for that! thumbsup.gif

Jules

+
Doug
post 22 Mar 2006, 08:50
Post #4

DT

Member No.: 2

It all depends who sees it. Sometimes these things sell and sometimes they don't.

Depends on the weather, politics, TV reality shows and $/ exchange rate... smile.gif

--------------------

+
post 22 Mar 2006, 10:49
Post #5

Regional Controller
Group Icon

All very true, especially as its a one off and only a very small fraction of those who may be interested will see it over the 10 days of an Ebay sale. Early December will be the best time for an Ebay sale as it would make an interesting Xmas present from a spouse to a husband. If you were a husband interested in N gauge how would you react if your wifey gave you the miniture layout for Xmas?

The only reality thing on TV right now is The Games on Channel 4 and that is not the sort of thing that blokes watch. It finishes on Sunday but then Mike Baldwin is about to exit Corrie so a bit of drama there and the Mitchell Brothers are back in Eastenders so ratings are on the rise. Remember Easter is coming up so something in a basket may appeal if you sell it with an Easter Egg.

Weather forcast to improve next week and we enter the lighter evening period so browsing Ebay becomes the last thing on peoples minds as they start going out to the country pubs, etc.

If you are an Ebay seller these are all things you take into account.

Start it at the minimum price you want and see if it sells.

Happy modelling
Gary

+
post 22 Mar 2006, 22:47
Post #6

Ticket Collector

Bleedin' 'eck gary! Whata reply! I feel an in depth thesis approaching on the indeterminable factors affecting ebay sales!!!

You do know a worryingly large amount about naff TV for a well informed railway bloke!!

Anyroad, thanks for taking the interest and the time! I think I may yake my chances within the next week... unsure.gif

Best wishes,
Jules

+
Dennis David
post 22 Mar 2006, 22:59
Post #7

Station Master

Member No.: 106

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I doubt you could get as much as you put in with regards to time and effort.

--------------------

+
post 23 Mar 2006, 18:40
Post #8

Ticket Collector

Cheers Dennis!

No, I did kinda realise that it wouldn't realise parts and time etc, but that's not really the reason we build them is it?! Methinks another 'thread' coming on here?!

If nothing else it's helped fill out this rather quieter area of the modelrail forum, and I've enjoyed reading all the comments! Plus the modeltracks site had a few hits from it...thanks all and I'll let you know in due course what happens.

It's going to hit e-bay around the weekend and I will set a reserve rather than a starting price to encourage some bidding.

Then we shall just sit back and watch and wait...! cool.gif

Best wishes,
Jules

+
post 23 Mar 2006, 21:04
Post #9

Regional Controller
Group Icon

Not the weekend!!!

Start on a Thursday evening for a Sunday evening finish and select a 10 day auction. Sunday evening is the busiest selling time on Ebay as its the worst TV of the week on a Sunday evening.

If its not a one off and you are a regular seller it does not really matter but if it is a one off then the finishing time is critical.

Do a buy it now tonight. 10p only for the listing fee. Put 99 on it and see if it sells. At least you will see how many hits it gets and if it does not sell so you can judge the level of interest.

Describe it as unique or rare and an ideal Easter gift.

You will be absolutely amazed if you knew how many girls buy model railway presents for their boys.

Happy modelling
Gary

+
spongebob
post 24 Mar 2006, 16:53
Post #10

Footplate Inspector

Member No.: 377

Just a word of warning, last Sunday the entire ebay site was playing up due to it being the end of another cheap listing run so take that into account as there was also another one yesterday so the same will apply a week on sunday. I find that Thursday is another good ending night for the same reason of the telly is rubbish but avoid finishing on a Monday. Thats when I do most of my bargain hunting. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Never do today what you can get away with avoiding for the next six months!!

+
Doug
post 24 Mar 2006, 18:10
Post #11

DT

Member No.: 2

The TV was bad last night - how come?

Wise words from seasoned eBay merchants - thanks guys.

--------------------

+
spongebob
post 24 Mar 2006, 19:55
Post #12

Footplate Inspector

Thursday night is politics night on BBC1 and just general moron TV on ITV. Sky is just as bad except in much greater quantities. Even the footie was boring last night! Typical innit 4 televised cup matches on 4 nights I watched the 3 yawners and missed the 7-0 one cheers Beeb.

--------------------

+
post 25 Mar 2006, 19:32
Post #13

Ticket Collector

Wow! I thought it was just my club that was so clued up on e-bay but the ideas and suggestions from you lot is staggering!

And...I've taken the advice, thanks!

'No Picnic' will be appearing on a Thursday night listing to end the following weekend with suggestions as to the target audience ie dads and uncles for Easter.

So here's hoping!

Thanks again,

Best Wishes,
Jules

P.S. The next one's in a violin case!! 'Strad Sidings!' listen out for that one!

+
spongebob
post 25 Mar 2006, 21:41
Post #14

Footplate Inspector

I suppose in N scale you could get a whole tail chaser into a double bass case.

--------------------

+
post 10 Apr 2006, 23:34
Post #15

Ticket Collector

Well after all the helpful thoughts and thesis on e-bay it never realised my Reserve Price! In fact it made an incredibly lowly - 12 - twelve quid!!I ask you?! yikes.gif

Mind, that's why such things as 'Reserves' were invented!
But not too dissapointed. smile.gif

Take care all!
Jules

+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th August 2020 - 11:33