spurno
post 23 May 2012, 13:46
Post #1

Station Master
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 8,916

hi all
i have searched the forum and found the relevant section in the wiki and also looked at Brian Lambert's site but i am no further forward.my reading of electrical diagrams is abysmal. i have bought an electrofrog n guage long crossing and need to know how to wire it.it has four thin wires attached and the instructions from peco are quite misleading.i know it needs a switch,but which one?.i'm thinking DPDT but i may be wrong.it will also have another LC connected to the first so i can get from the sidings to the mainline,will this make a difference to the wiring.

--------------------
Regards

Alan
Go to the top of the page

+
Chinahand
post 23 May 2012, 15:49
Post #2

Railways Czar
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,410

Hi Alan,

Are you using the long crossing just as a simple cross-over or does it form part of a scissor type crossing ?

--------------------
Regards,
Trevor

See my
Market Havering Blog

+
spurno
post 23 May 2012, 15:55
Post #3

Station Master
Group Icon

hi Trevor
just as a simple crossover from sidings to mainline .two joined together .

--------------------
Regards

Alan

+
Chinahand
post 23 May 2012, 16:31
Post #4

Railways Czar
Group Icon

Hi Alan,

There are 2 ways of wiring a diamond crossing. The Brian Lambert web site shows both methods using firstly a DPDT switch and then using an ARM (Auto Reversing Module). I don't have a crossing unit to hand but you need to identify which 2 of the 4 wires are connected to the 2 frogs. I might be wrong but I think the other 2 would only be used when the diamond forms part of a scissor crossing and you need to control the polarity of the other 2 frogs. If you have a small circuit tester you can easily identify what the wires are connected to.

For manual switching just connect the 2 thin wires from the frogs on the underside to the DPDT switch as shown in Brian's diagram and then connect droppers from the rails to the power/DCC Bus.

Extracts from M Brian Lambert Web Site
DIAMOND CROSSING. The live frog or Electrofrog diamond crossing does require some special wiring and switching. Below is shown the wiring for a live frog (Electrofrog) diamond crossing. The drawing shows the crossing being wired for one track power supply feeding both directions or for manually switched DCC use a DPDT switch changes the two live frogs polarity. Note: for DCC use its really better to use an Auto Reverse Module - See the DCC pages.

In the drawing below the DPDT switch shown above has been replaced by an Auto Reverse Loop Module to automatically switch the diamond crossings frog rails to the correct polarity as a loco passes over. I would recommend always obtaining an all electronic ARM rather than the relay operated versions.

Diagrams given with acknowledgement to Brian Lambert

--------------------
Regards,
Trevor

See my
Market Havering Blog

+
spurno
post 23 May 2012, 16:54
Post #5

Station Master
Group Icon

hi Trevor,thanks for that.i think i understand the diagram.i think from your description that the two outer wires on the crossing are for the frogs and the two inner wires close together seem to form a diamond on the track side.any dates for your move yet?,it must be close.

--------------------
Regards

Alan

+
Chinahand
post 23 May 2012, 17:01
Post #6

Railways Czar
Group Icon

No problem Alan. Just check where those other 2 wires are connected to with a circuit tester and let me know how you get on

QUOTE (spurno @ 24 May 2012, 00:54) *
Any dates for your move yet?,it must be close.

I presume you are aware of the problems the UK Border agency are having at the moment. The latest estimate for getting my wife's residence visa is mid August and we are stuck here in China until we get that. mad.gif

--------------------
Regards,
Trevor

See my
Market Havering Blog

+
spurno
post 23 May 2012, 17:30
Post #7

Station Master
Group Icon

that doesn't help does it?.will have to test later as i'm working tonight for the next four nights.will try asap.BTW can't make TINGS but have booked holiday for Warley.hope you're here by then.

--------------------
Regards

Alan

+
Chinahand
post 23 May 2012, 19:05
Post #8

Railways Czar
Group Icon

Hi Alan,

The more I think about it and look at Brian's 2nd drawing the more I feel that the other 2 wires are for connecting droppers to the DCC Bus which seems to be what Brian is showing.

Pity you can't make TINGS but maybe we can meet up at Warley.

--------------------
Regards,
Trevor

See my
Market Havering Blog

+
spurno
post 24 May 2012, 17:51
Post #9

Station Master
Group Icon

hi Trevor
this is the crossing with the wires underneath plus can i use this switch?.do you know which wires go to the bus,inner or outer?.

--------------------
Regards

Alan

+
Chinahand
post 24 May 2012, 22:25
Post #10

Railways Czar
Group Icon

Hi Alan,

If you look at Brian's diagram you effectively have one whole side of the crossing in Red and the other side in Black so, based on Brian's wiring diagram, I would say that the 2 inner wires go to the DCC Bus and the 2 outer ones go to the DPDT switch to control frog polarity.

That switch seems to have the required 6 terminals so I would think it should be OK.

--------------------
Regards,
Trevor

See my
Market Havering Blog

+
spurno
post 25 May 2012, 08:21
Post #11

Station Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Expat @ 24 May 2012, 23:25) *
Hi Alan,

If you look at Brian's diagram you effectively have one whole side of the crossing in Red and the other side in Black so, based on Brian's wiring diagram, I would say that the 2 inner wires go to the DCC Bus and the 2 outer ones go to the DPDT switch to control frog polarity.

That switch seems to have the required 6 terminals so I would think it should be OK.

hi Trevor
the switch is an on-off-on switch but i also have plenty of momentary toggle switches available.would they be ok also?

--------------------
Regards

Alan

+
Chinahand
post 25 May 2012, 08:40
Post #12

Railways Czar
Group Icon

Hi Alan,

Aah. In that case the slide switch is not suitable and neither is the 'momentary' one. You need a straight forward DPDT (On - On) switch. Remember you are not operating a point, you are changing the polarity of the frogs so it needs to be 'constant' for whichever way it is set.

--------------------
Regards,
Trevor

See my
Market Havering Blog

+
spurno
post 25 May 2012, 18:00
Post #13

Station Master
Group Icon

hi Trevor
switches duly ordered.there will be a second crossover connected to the first,i take it this will need a seperate switch.

--------------------
Regards

Alan

+
Chinahand
post 25 May 2012, 21:20
Post #14

Railways Czar
Group Icon

Hi Alan,

Not necessarily. It depends on how it's all going to work. If it is intended that a train will cross over two parallel tracks at the same time, the polarities of the two parallel tracks are the same and there is no risk of collision then you could wire them both into the same DPDT switch. This will give you a basic route setting through the two cross-overs.

--------------------
Regards,
Trevor

See my
Market Havering Blog

+
spurno
post 26 May 2012, 07:35
Post #15

Station Master
Group Icon

hi Trevor
just got home from work so will be going to bed soon but will do a mock up later and show you the plan.

--------------------
Regards

Alan

+

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2020 - 11:07