Post #1

DT

Group: Members
Member No.: 2

For a review of this issue, click here
QUOTE (Ian Allan Publishing Ltd)

The NEW hands-on magazine for modellers of all ages

First Issue available 9th March 2007

In an exciting new venture, we are joining forces with leading model manufacturer Hornby to launch Hornby Magazine on March 9th 2007.

The makers of Hornby train sets and Scalextric slot car racing sets, who recently made the news headlines with their acquisition of the assets of failed Hull-based Humbrol paints and Airfix plastic kits, have given their backing to the new model railway magazine which is specifically aimed at those starting out in the hobby.

As well as appealing to youngsters who can now combine computer technology with a worthwhile 3D hobby, the magazine will also be welcomed by those 40 to 50 year olds, returning to the hobby after their activities with model trains were interrupted by family matters 20 to 30 years ago. Since then, there has been great advancement in the hobby, and Hornby Magazine will show those taking it up again how to progress their interest.

The first issue includes a free model building kit which readers can construct with the help of a step-by-step feature inside, whilst the second issue (on sale May 11th) carries free cover-mounted Hornby-branded accessories.

Editor Mike Wild said "These are exciting times for railway modellers with the hobby finally arriving in the 21st Century. Hornby Magazine will fill a much needed niche for beginners of all ages. Each issue will be packed with inspirational features showing how to get started in the hobby and what can be achieved".

Hornby’s marketing manager Simon Kohler said: “We are delighted to support this publishing initiative which we believe will help thousands of people enjoy this wonderful hobby for the first time. As we have incorporated new technology into our model manufacturing processes, so our business has seen considerable growth in recent years. The time is right therefore for a new magazine that embraces the incredible advances in miniature railway modelling and presents it in a way that is easily understood”.

Retail promotions have been booked with leading retail groups and will be supported by extensive trade advertising and promotion through Ian Allan magazines and their subsidiary, Midland Counties Publishing and their 35,000 strong book mailing list.

Hornby Magazine is published by Ian Allan Publishing Ltd, Hersham, Surrey and distributed to the newstrade by Marketforce.

Full colour, A4 size

Cover Price: £3.35

Number of Pages: 116

Frequency: Bi-Monthly

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+
post 10 Feb 2007, 14:24
Post #2

Chief mouser
Group Icon

Member No.: 706

I shall doubtless buy a copy, after all any new magazine is going to be worth a visit, and if it keeps to the level of proper how to articles and simple advice I may well continue to do so.

After all we are never to old to learn!!

Regards

John

--------------------
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever
A Penguin is for life - not just elevenses
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+
Peter_Harvey
post 10 Feb 2007, 15:01
Post #3

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 619

Doug do you mean to say that Model Rail Forum will be involved directly with this magazine?
Will MRF be independant in there envlovment with the magazine or will they have to tow the Hornby line (Hornby is the best model producer in the World) as the deal breaker?

Pete

+
post 10 Feb 2007, 15:36
Post #4

Regional Controller
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 3

In an exciting new venture, we are joining forces with leading model manufacturer Hornby to launch Hornby Magazine on March 9th 2007.

question.gif

How many times have you heard people say "I have a Hornby at home!". It is not a model railway. It is a "Hornby". In the anarokish world which we are classified as inhabiting it is cooler to tell your mates "I have a Hornby" than to say "I am a railway modeller". And Hornby are synonymous with introducing 100,000 newcomers to model railways every year so the title makes it reasonably clear who the mag is aimed at. Clever marketing. To date mags on offer have really been for modellers who want to do more than operate a layout on a 6ft x 4ft board.

What I was wondering is are there any other mags worldwide which have a model railway manufacturer's name in the title? If there are this might give us a clue as to the content.

Happy modelling
Gary

+
Doug
post 10 Feb 2007, 16:36
Post #5

DT

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Peter_Harvey @ 10 Feb 2007, 16:01) *
Doug do you mean to say that Model Rail Forum will be involved directly with this magazine?
Will MRF be independant in there envlovment with the magazine or will they have to tow the Hornby line (Hornby is the best model producer in the World) as the deal breaker?

Pete

Sorry, I cut and paste from Ian Allan Publishing's web site. They were saying "we are joining forces...". It's not MRF that are saying "we are joining forces..." happy.gif
I've added a quote to make it more clear.

You can subscribe from their site too.

--------------------

+
Peter_Harvey
post 10 Feb 2007, 17:19
Post #6

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 619

Ok Doug thanks for clearing that up.

Pete

+
dwb
post 10 Feb 2007, 17:21
Post #7

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

>To date mags on offer have really been for modellers who want to do more than operate a layout on a 6ft x 4ft board.

True, though sometimes you would think it is for people who want to operate a layout on a 12ft x 2ft board wink.gif

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
post 10 Feb 2007, 17:32
Post #8

Chief mouser
Group Icon

QUOTE (Gary @ 10 Feb 2007, 15:36) *
question.gif
What I was wondering is are there any other mags worldwide which have a model railway manufacturer's name in the title? If there are this might give us a clue as to the content.

Well there is Roco Modellbahn Report, I can't say much about the content as my German is not that good, it does however appear to "show you how" (and has excellent prototype and model phtography) The last copy I saw was 74 1/2006.

Regards

John

--------------------
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+
Brian Considine
post 15 Feb 2007, 08:38
Post #9

No Longer Active.
Group Icon

Member No.: 702

QUOTE (BRITHO @ 10 Feb 2007, 14:24) *
I shall doubtless buy a copy,

Regards

John

Does that actually mean that you won't be spending all your lunchbreaks in Smiths then ?

+
post 15 Feb 2007, 08:59
Post #10

Chief mouser
Group Icon

QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 15 Feb 2007, 08:38) *
Does that actually mean that you won't be spending all your lunchbreaks in Smiths then ?

Well I have too spend them somewhere!

Regards

John

--------------------
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+
Makemineadouble
post 15 Feb 2007, 09:08
Post #11

Minister of Transport

Member No.: 203

Its an in house magazine for the promotion of Hornby products. Good luck to them in this venture, it might have a knock on effect on other magazines as Hornby may look to reduce their Ad spend in other modelling periodicals. I hope one of the one's to suffer is the Railway Modeller which has sunk to new low levels. It's a largely a boring read with zero innovation again for the glorification of Prichards Patient products. Independence in magazines is a good thing so I will continue to support BRM which has great photo's and model rail.

The patronising Mr Pritchard and his cronies down in Seaton need a good shakeup. His comments about British modellers in this months BRM could drive many with an a previous allegiance to Peco track to look else where for their rails.

cool.gif cool.gif

+
post 15 Feb 2007, 09:25
Post #12

Regional Controller
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 3

They were surprising comments and maybe a little blunt for some people however was he not being honest? question.gif

Until we have had the chance to look at the new magazine it is too early to say what the editorial line is. The impression is that the magazine is for new modellers and that "Hornby" is as synonymous with this as "Hoover" is with vacuum cleaning. Are you saying Hornby have a commercial tie in with this magazine beyond that of advertiser? question.gif

Happy modelling
Gary

+
Brian Considine
post 15 Feb 2007, 12:19
Post #13

No Longer Active.
Group Icon

Member No.: 702

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 15 Feb 2007, 09:08) *
I hope one of the one's to suffer is the Railway Modeller which has sunk to new low levels.
cool.gif cool.gif

But at least we no longer have the word Peco in bold everytime it appears in an artical - personally I always though that it was a bit pathetic.

Best of luck to Hornby though with the mag.

+
Paxman
post 15 Feb 2007, 13:19
Post #14

Fireman

Member No.: 1,396

I know I've just posted "Live and let live" in another thread, but...

I have to say, very reluctantly, and through gritted teeth, that when I returned to the hobby a few years ago, I bought all the major mags for a few months to compare them....And I could hardly believe RM. It actually looked identical to my memory of it from schooldays...and inside, it definitely read like a museum piece.

I hate to say this, but that was my impression, as a newcomer, eager to learn and get up to speed on what was happening in the hobby. I settled on Model Rail in the end - by far the best for my needs (off-topic, I suppose, but BRM's photography is certainly astounding - how do they do it?).

I suspect some of the comments here about a lack of innovation are harsh but fair.

I might try the Hornby Magazine (from the Ian Allan web-site, I got the impression it was indeed to be a sort of in-house mag), and wish them well - but I stopped taking the Hornby Collector because it was too simplistic and kiddie-orientated for my taste.

Anyway, I will certainly be interested to see what editorial line they take.

+
post 15 Feb 2007, 13:55
Post #15

Chief mouser
Group Icon

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 15 Feb 2007, 09:08) *
The patronising Mr Pritchard and his cronies down in Seaton need a good shakeup. His comments about British modellers in this months BRM could drive many with an a previous allegiance to Peco track to look else where for their rails.

cool.gif cool.gif

Indeed they do, and if it wasn't for the fact that there aren't that many track systems available in the shops I think many people would!

Regards

John

--------------------
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2020 - 21:51