Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to make a tunnel?
Andy5898
post 28 Dec 2012, 08:38
Post #1

Ticket Collector

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,130

I have a 6ft x 4ft layout its not the biggest or the most accurate but despite negotiations with my wife I am not allowed any bigger!

Anyway I want to put a tunnel on one of the corners, I have seen the ones you can buy but they just don't seem to be what I want. I want to make it so there is like a hillside which the tunnel cuts through. Has anyone got a walk through guide how I go about doing this? Or at least some advice. I have got the metcalfe double track tunnel entrances, but could do with advice on how and where to start really. Ideally the simpler the better!

Sorry to sound vague but I have no idea where to start not being artitistic or anything sometimes does hinder!

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+
MasirahMark
post 28 Dec 2012, 09:27
Post #2

Fireman

Member No.: 8,611

Hi Andy,

Just type "how to make a model railway tunnel" into Google and you'll get loads of helpful links and images.

Try this link.....

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Scenery/tunnel.htm

Quite a useful site for many areas of modelling.

Enjoy and happy modelling.

--------------------
Best regards,

Mark.

In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, they're not.
Yogi Berra.

+
David Todd
post 28 Dec 2012, 10:46
Post #3

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 11,373

I have no idea where to start not being artistic or anything sometimes does hinder!
................................................................................ Yep. I am still @ that stage............

Various methods are employed,depends what you want on your layout..........
Here is just one,a lead up to tunnel mouths, but there are lots more out there......good luck.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=tL2K_50JRho

--------------------
........dt........

Link below,is to my layout, Dover Priory and Town Yard.Kent Uk
https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...showtopic=20477

]Click this link and watch my Naff Video Company,clips,of my layout
http://www.youtube.com/user/ferriesdover/videos

+
post 28 Dec 2012, 20:51
Post #4

Station Master

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (10001 @ 21 Oct 2008, 09:50) *
There have been some postings about tunnels this month so I hope no-one will mind if I show some of the tunnels on my trainset of the Goon Valley Railway. All except one have been scratch built. This is the method I prefer as it is rare to find a kit or ready made item to fit your requirements exactly, and nothing beats the feeling of satisfaction on making it yourself.
There was some concern about the width of one of the kits . I suppose it is better to have a large bore than a much too narrow one as the driver of LMS Garrett quickly found out when he tried to enter Greenslade tunnel recently sad.gif
This is a straight forward cardboard construction with Metcalfe embosed stone buiding card overlay.

The second picture shows just how narrow this is but in fact will accomodate the usual branch line traffic without problems . The other two track tunnel beyond the bridge is also cardboard with embosed stone overlay of unkown make but I think it is for O gauge.

Pic 3 shows the other end of Greenslade station . This tunnel mouth is a plastic kit (Wills or Ratio?) most of which was not used. The chalk cliffs are cast using alluminium kichen foil , crumpled , opened out ,filled with a rather runny plaster of Paris, and literally slopped onto the base ( expanded polystyrene).

Pic 4 is a very simple one on the Grand Union Canal . Same cardboard construction covered with brick paper by Prototype Models. This tunnel burrows under Ellington loco shed -still to be built.

Pic 5 is on the lower main line and this takes the double track beneath Min Tor. A similar one but single track takes the freight only line under Min Tor to the Ellington yard and shed and is just visible above the second Gresley coach.

Pic 6 shows the other end of this tunnel but has twin mouths .The sets of points will eventually take the lines into
the terminus station at Secombe.

pic 7. shows two similarly built tunnels the upper one with the tracks going nowhere will oneday hopefully carry the reversing loop from the lower mainline to the upper mainline.Both made of cardboard with cardboard overlays in relief all covered with Superquick grey slates paper No. 5. Here the bores had to be made through a concrete wall requiring the services of a contractor using concrete cutting equipment. ohmy.gif The bores themselves use large diameter plastic drain pipes and these can be seen just below where the track ends

Pic 8 shows the other end of this tunnel. It shows that the two sets of lines have reached the same level via inclines.
Built in the Art Deco style they are cardboard again with the stone work scribed with a blunt knife. I am loathed to dirty these but I suppose I will have to one day. The tunnels bore through Lion Hill, hence two lions guarding the entrances. I wanted crouching lions but these were all I could find ,both were fluorescent and the unpainted one reminds me every time I switch off the lights that I still have a lot of work to do in that area dry.gif

Pic 9 This has appeared in my postings before - Cardboard covered with Metcalfe embosed stone papers . The other end is not shown but is similar. this tunnel takes the double mainline under the village of Bluebottle ( where the bluebells grow)

A further two tunnel mouths still have to be built taking the upper mainlines under the house ! lmfao.gif

Regards, Tony CME Goon Valley Railway

One of these might take your fancy.

Good luck

--------------------
Tony
Goon Valley Railway

To view the GVR thread click below

https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...?showtopic=5160

+
Richard Lee
post 29 Dec 2012, 06:58
Post #5

Engine Driver
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 12,381

What I did was to buy a tunnel mouth and use blocks of expanded polystyrene with chicken wire over that to give the shape of the hill. I then used paper-mache (pieces of newspaper soaked in a dilute PVA solution), before painting and flocking.

If I were to do it again, I would consider using a tunnel mouth which had the first few inches of the tunnel interior (I think Metcalfe do such, in single and double track versions).

Paper-mache is cheap and easy to do. However, if you wanted to try a technique that might be quicker and involve less effort and mess then you could consider using one of the plaster-impregnated bandage products (Javis is one manufacturer).

+
Ian Everitt
post 30 Dec 2012, 19:55
Post #6

Derelict Train Shed Owner

Member No.: 10,138

involve less effort and mess then you could consider using one of the plaster-impregnated bandage products

I have to say that I love the plaster bandage approach - but not less mess than paper maiche...however that could just be me and my 'enthusiasm' dribble.gif innocent.gif

thewave.gif

--------------------
Ian in Blaston

(Formerly Ian in Tydd/Gedney!!)

Somebody stop me before I plan another layout!!

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2020 - 02:04