> Single Line Terminus
Piermaster
post 3 Feb 2008, 13:16
Post #1

Footplate Inspector

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,861

Hi All,

I found a piece of oak 3ft 6ins x 7ins in the garage and I'm toying with the idea of doing a HO or OO Single Line Terminus (which may be part of another forum's mid-year challenge).

The ideas that have given me some inspiration are:

Felixstowe - was Felixstowe Town and now a short platform with canopy isolated from the rest of the station which is now Great Eastern Square shopping centre.

Sudbury - this was built in 1995 on the site of the old GER station's cattle dock for a sports centre now stands on the site of the old station.

Victoria, Vancouver (photos by Andy Gautrey) with its minimal terminus leading almost straight onto a very impressive lift bridge.

If I chose to model American, I have:
Proto 1000 RDC railcar
Atlas Station building kit
Atlas Platform extension kit
Atlas Signal Tower kit

If I went for British, I have:
Lima GW Railcar
Lima BR Class 121
2 Wills halt kits.

I can only go in one direction, but decisions decisions!!!!

Dave
Go to the top of the page

+
John Webb
post 3 Feb 2008, 13:54
Post #2

Railways Czar

Member No.: 144

Dave,
What about Sheringham - the extremly simple one platform one track layout that forms the current terminus on the opposite side of the road to the North Norfolk railway in the original station?

Regards,
John Webb

+
Piermaster
post 3 Feb 2008, 16:18
Post #3

Footplate Inspector

Hi John,

You mean this Sheringham?

and here's a Weslsh one:

Old Ynysybwl in the South Wales valleys - closed 1952.

Dave

+
post 4 Feb 2008, 13:32
Post #4

Chief mouser
Group Icon

Member No.: 706

Hi Dave,

I like the idea of Sudbury - simple yet strangely attractive.

It brings back memories of a visit to the original back in the 80's when we were allowed to walk back along the track and explore the disused buildings.

Happy days!

Regards

--------------------
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever
A Penguin is for life - not just elevenses
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+
John Webb
post 4 Feb 2008, 20:31
Post #5

Railways Czar

Yup! That's the one - even plainer than Sudbury, isn't it! There is some talk going on about reconnecting to the North Norfolk railway - all part of some scheme to eventually extend the NNR to connect up to the Mid-Norfolk near Fakenham to make a great loop round North Norfolk for both preserved and regular passenger trains. Someone's thinking big!

Regards,
John

+
post 4 Feb 2008, 21:37
Post #6

Guard

Member No.: 1,509

How about severn beach? its ideal really the track is straight for about a mile and a half, mostly flat!, and the old loop and sidings are still there under all the vegetaion, and the line adjacent to the platform disused face is in situ too.

+
post 5 Feb 2008, 16:46
Post #7

Chief mouser
Group Icon

QUOTE (Tonyperks @ 4 Feb 2008, 21:37) *
How about severn beach? its ideal really the track is straight for about a mile and a half, mostly flat!, and the old loop and sidings are still there under all the vegetaion, and the line adjacent to the platform disused face is in situ too.

An interesting thought and a fascinating prototype, but wouldn't it be a bit wider than the available space?

Regards

--------------------
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+
post 5 Feb 2008, 20:48
Post #8

Guard

Member No.: 1,509

Good point but you could model it as it is now, 1 platform face with vegetation on the other, and justa single long line, i think if you modeled it the other way round i.e looking out to the estury, you could have a nice back scene done showing the murky severn and distant views of caldicot etc. I must go down and have a shifty again sometime soon.

+
post 6 Feb 2008, 13:01
Post #9

Chief mouser
Group Icon

QUOTE (Tonyperks @ 5 Feb 2008, 20:48) *
Good point but you could model it as it is now,

That could be an option - I have always liked overgrown tracks.

But Dave, have you considered anything from the Colonel Stephens empire? Plenty of potential there, especially if you look at the current Eythorne Station (EKR in Kent) or Bodiam on the K & ESR.

Just a thought.

Regards

--------------------
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+
Piermaster
post 11 Feb 2008, 00:10
Post #10

Footplate Inspector

Hi All,

Left-Handed Dave here again with some more inspirational ideas!!! Well, they seem inspirational until the pain killers wear off!!!

Croydon Tramlink - Elmers End terminus.

The original DLR terminus at Stratford - closed in June 2007 and replaced by a two-platform terminus adjacent to the concourse building.

Shnklin, Isle of Wight.

That's all for now - painkillers are starting to kick in!

Dave

+
John Webb
post 11 Feb 2008, 10:35
Post #11

Railways Czar

The Shanklin one seems to have a rather nice building to adorn it, and the use of tube stock makes it just that much different as well.

Best wishes,
John

+
post 11 Feb 2008, 17:34
Post #12

Chief mouser
Group Icon

I like the Shanklin shot, definitely some potential there - and in your one handed state plenty of time for research.

Regards

--------------------
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+
Piermaster
post 14 Feb 2008, 21:50
Post #13

Footplate Inspector

Just re-read this thread to find that the links to the pics have all disappeared - this is my fault through me sorting out and collating my photobucket files.

So lets dig them up again:

Old Ynysbwl (Closed 1952).

Stratford DLR (Replaced by new 2-platform station 2007).

Shanklin

Felixstowe - developed in 1985 into Great Eastern Square shopping centre, incorporating most of the station. The only operational part of the station is a short platform and canopy isolated by the car park.

Romford-Upminster Branch, before electrification and vandalism that this line suffers so badly from.

Sheringham - Not the North Norfolk station, but the BR built one for the 'One Railway' (soon to be National Express East Anglia) service to Norwich.

Sudbury - built 1991 as part of supermarket, car park and leisure centre development and is the third station to exist on the site!

Victoria, Vancouver - once the daily service departs, it is almost on a very impressive lift bridge.

Now you have exhausted my SLT photo collection!!!!

Dave

+
post 16 Feb 2008, 17:45
Post #14

Fireman

Member No.: 1,682

QUOTE (Piermaster @ 14 Feb 2008, 21:50) *
Just re-read this thread to find that the links to the pics have all disappeared - this is my fault through me sorting out and collating my photobucket files.

So lets dig them up again:

Sheringham - Not the North Norfolk station, but the BR built one for the 'One Railway' (soon to be National Express East Anglia) service to Norwich.

Victoria, Vancouver - once the daily service departs, it is almost on a very impressive lift bridge.

Now you have exhausted my SLT photo collection!!!!

Dave

I was taken with the Sheringham and Victoria pictures.

I was born in London but brought up in Sheringham.At that time my mother and father were outsiders from "Lunnen".I was deemed a local boy.
I was last there in '97 and was sad to see what a Disneyland Sheringham had become.Could not pick out any Norfolk dialect,all outsiders accents.
What a let down that Sheringham "Halt" was.Was glad to see that most of the original station had survived thanks to the North Norfolk Railway.
Beeston Hill is nearly totally in the North Sea and the Sheringham crabs are miniatures of the ones I remembered.
I don't think I'll be back.

The Victoria picture of the tiny E&N station is the start of a very scenic trip up Vancouver Island.It is very slow and rickety but the scenery compensates.

The other picture is the Johnson street lift bridge,near the station.There are weights at one end which when released lifts the bridge by gravity I believe.

Sheringham was my starting point and now Victoria looks to become my ending point.I have been here since'71.

Thanks for the pics Dave,brought back some memories,
Cheers,
Bryan in Victoria,British Columbia.

+
Piermaster
post 25 Feb 2008, 20:22
Post #15

Footplate Inspector

A few more Single Line Termini for you:

London Transport - District Line

The South Acton branch was a short branch linking South Acton and Acton Town which closed in 1959.

Was operated by one of two Q23 cars adapted to single car units nos. 4167 and 4176. It is said that the entire round trip could be done in the time it took the kettle to boil at Acton Town!

This terminus can be reproduced quite easily (but not cheaply) in OO. Connor & Butler's Street Level Models do a card kit of South Acton station and Radley Models do a resin-body Q23 South Acton shuttle car.

Felixstowe (My favourite and its local to me):

In 1974 before the Great Eastern Square development.

153314 in One livery is the branch host on 20/02/08.

Felixstowe operational station with the old station behind, now part of Great Eastern Square. 20/02/08.

Croydon Tramlink:

Car 2533 at Elmers End. 20/08/07.

And Finally, not a Single Line Terminus, but certainly a Minimum Space Terminus:

Sheffield 74 at National Tramway Museum, Crich.

Dave

+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2020 - 07:50