Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wheelchair Si here
simon kilvington
post 4 May 2020, 05:32
Post #1

Ticket Collector

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,593

I am a bit late posting in here but ......................
My name is Simon.
I am new to modelling.
It is to replace my Motorbike riding hobby, after a life changing Motorbike accident, 15 looooooong years ago, left me in my wheelchair.
I am not really a train lover, BUT I do love the modeling side of trains.
I have got a OO gauge layout approx. 6' X 4' . using Kato track. I realize it IS more expensive, but it IS also a lot easier for me, having very limited use of my right side, to work with.
Greedy I know, but I also have an N gauge layout approx 6' 6" X 3' 6" . Again using Kato track.
I am nearing completion of my OO layout. But as we all know, that will never happen, WILL IT ! lol.

I would put up some photos, but can anyone please explain to me how I go about this ?

Many thanks.

Simon.
Go to the top of the page

+
Babz
post 4 May 2020, 07:13
Post #2

Footplate Inspector

Member No.: 11,666

Simon Good Morning. The hosting site i use is (VGY.ME ) register and then on the front page click upload then select a picture from Your computer. When it is fully uploaded then go to my uploads click on the picture you want to display and then on right side there will be a list of codes displayed.
On the right side. Select the BBCode and there is disk symbol on the right handside of the code click on the symbol then in your post on the forum click paste where you want display the picture.. hope this helps.
Babs

+
simon kilvington
post 4 May 2020, 08:02
Post #3

Ticket Collector

Do WHAT ! ???? lol
only messing I will av a go

+
simon kilvington
post 4 May 2020, 08:31
Post #4

Ticket Collector

have I done it ???????????

+
simon kilvington
post 4 May 2020, 08:33
Post #5

Ticket Collector

Bingo !
u can ignore the date

+
boxbrownie
post 4 May 2020, 10:33
Post #6

Ticket Collector

Member No.: 6,656

Looking good there, I had to give up “real model engineering” a few years ago as I found medical issues preclude me from detail work easily and as for,painting eyes on 4mm figures...forget that now biggrin.gif but I wanted to build a new layout after giving up 7mm scale (I found the weight of the bigger Locos hard to hold without damaging the detail) so went for a 4mm small roundy roundy (I still want to “play trains”) and used Trix-C track which is very similar to Kato (I do still have a full Kato N gauge layout on a door! Which I am passing into my Son), it has been great to just be able to lay the track, connect up and it all works, points and all in DCC with just one connection to the track....so much easier.

Keep it up, the modelling side is what we need right now.

--------------------
Best regards David

If anything in my post offends you, please let me know, I may wish to offend you again.

+
simon kilvington
post 4 May 2020, 13:16
Post #7

Ticket Collector

"medical issues"
you too ?
It sort of makes it a daft choice of hobbies, you not think ? lol
But it IS challenging, to say the least.
I spend so much of my time sat at my computer, searching for buildings etc. I want. that ARE already assembled.
And for people that DO NOT need painting.
But I have to admit I do have help. In the form of my FEMALE carer, called Brenda. Who always says she is no good at crafty things. But I think you will agree that she IS doing OK.
We don't make a bad team. I know what I want doing and Brenda just does it !

+
simon kilvington
post 4 May 2020, 13:38
Post #8

Ticket Collector

I also think that OO gauge IS the size to go for. If one is, shall we say, physically challenged.
I do have an N gauge layout in my spare room. And although I plan on carrying it round the room, due to its smaller size, I know I AM going to have 1 or 2 handling issues !
I started to do a layout using Peco track. But as Brenda was finding the flexitrack and fish plates at bit difficult, I switched to Kato.

+
boxbrownie
post 4 May 2020, 18:55
Post #9

Ticket Collector

Member No.: 6,656

Yes, it took me over a year to compile all the track, point motors, controller etc etc and then never quite got around to it until this bloody virus came along, now our hobby is a godsend and I can take my time trying to do the bits (fiddly bits) I used to do in a few minutes.

In the space of a month I have assembled the (pre made) baseboards, laid the track (loosely) fitted sound to a few Locos, fitted DCC electric motors to all 18 points (and they all work!) next thing is to lay the 3 mm cardboard A4 sheets I bought on the baseboard top with cut outs where the track is, this is to raise or effectively lower the built in ballast base as it’s a bit high for YK practice and also I can run any wires I need in channels in the cardboard so the underneath of the board is completely wire free as there is no way I can clamber underneath anymore.

It’s coming together gradually, and reminds me how pleasurable building a model railways is.

--------------------
Best regards David

If anything in my post offends you, please let me know, I may wish to offend you again.

+
Norman Byrne
post 4 May 2020, 20:00
Post #10

Station Master
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 13,364

Hello Simon (& David for that matter),
Good to see you “enjoying” the hobby, including all the frustrating and challenging bits, which can say most of not all the members on here do in one way or another, but the key definitley is enjoyment.

Glad to see you have cracked the posting pictures side of things (with Babz advice), I will be back for lessons, as standing on your head or laying on your side to view my latest pics in the Gallery is not for the faint hearted. However, from experience the more pics posted or even videos the better.

Look forward to following your progress, it sounds like you have already made lots of great progress along with Brenda’s great assistance, and no doubt patience too lol !

Take care and happy railway Modelling, Thanks, Cheers Norm

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th August 2020 - 23:19