Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Terrier loco seized up, Terrier just stopped working
Noel Mooney
post 8 Oct 2020, 13:51
Post #1

Baggage Porter

Group: Members
Member No.: 211,035

Hi, I am a relative newbie to model trains etc. I have a Hornby AI/AIX Terrier (R3767) which is only 18 months old which has seized up without any previous issues. All tracks check out and I did a minimal lubrication on the wheels.
Initially it sat on the rails with a buzzing noise. Now no buzzing at all. Taking the wheels off I noticed that there are two (spring loaded?) prongs at one end of the undercarriage one of which is not moving (no springing activity).
Also the copper contacts adjacent to the wheels - do they have to be in permanent contact with each wheel?
Any suggestions as to what the problem may be and how to fix it?
Thanks.
PS - can I upload photos to forum?
Go to the top of the page

+
34C
post 8 Oct 2020, 14:10
Post #2

In depth idiot

Member No.: 1,818

Welcome to the madhouse!

The problem may be very simple indeed, no current to motor. The worm drive then locks the whole driveline near solid. Cause could be as simple as a failed connection in the electrical circuit. Problem solving is rather step by step!

With the body off, see if the motor can be turned over by hand as the first step, and if the wheels then turn. If they don't then it is possible that there is a split gear or similar in the driveline.

The wipers that collect the current need to maintain contact with the wheelbacks through their side to side traverse. Gentle reshaping is sometimes necessary to ensure this on a new model.

Pictures, see this topic:
https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25

+
Noel Mooney
post 11 Oct 2020, 19:01
Post #3

Baggage Porter

Member No.: 211,035

Thanks for your reply 34C. I will open up and see what I can find. Being new is a split gear or similar in the driveline repairable?

+
34C
post 11 Oct 2020, 20:29
Post #4

In depth idiot

Member No.: 1,818

QUOTE (Noel Mooney @ 11 Oct 2020, 20:01) *
Thanks for your reply 34C. I will open up and see what I can find. Being new is a split gear or similar in the driveline repairable?

Split gears are typically a part replacement job. Hornby should supply, as it is a current model.

But lets get past eliminating an electrical disconnect first. I have no hard data to back this up, but online discussion suggests to me that minor electrical defects - typically a broken connection - are top of the list for RTR OO model mechanism failures.

+
hoonsou
post 12 Oct 2020, 03:13
Post #5

Chief cook & bottle washer
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 280

This is where a multimeter comes in to play. A very handy thing to have if you haven't got one all ready. If you have, check for continuity, ohms setting, between each wheel and it's appropriate motor terminal. All the wheels on one side should have a zero or very close to it reading and the same on the other side. If no reading, you've found the problem. When doing this test, move the wheels to the extremes of side play to make sure that every one of them is making contact the whole way across.

--------------------
Cheers, Peter.

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2020 - 01:36