> Prices
bjrangi
post 13 Oct 2020, 05:57
Post #1

Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,619

Hi All,

I thought i would share a story about the cost of goods..!
Firstly you need to know my location....New Zealand.
Okay, i wanted to add a turntable to my layout.
Did the costings from using a local supplier...$147.95 for the turntable! and the Peco motor $184.90 total of $332.90, which is 169.00 pound.
Okay went to Hattons..$69 for the turntable...$88 for the motor which is 80 pound.
Wow what a variance..i know its all about supporting your local supplier..but half price by buying off shore..and this online store is also the NZ importer of peco into NZ.
Just dumb or greedy!

BJ

Go to the top of the page

+
hoonsou
post 13 Oct 2020, 21:07
Post #2

Chief cook & bottle washer
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 280

Similar here in Oz.

--------------------
Cheers, Peter.

+
Graham Plowman
post 13 Oct 2020, 21:58
Post #3

Regional Controller

Member No.: 869

And a certain white goods store owner here in Oz wanted GST charged on all overseas purchases just so that his margins wouldn't look so excessive!

And that same white goods store owner lobbied our government to force overseas companies to collect GST and pay it to the Australian Tax Office.

I wrote to the treasurer and finance minister asking under what law could Australia force foreign companies, who had no representation in Australia, to pay Australian tax. In other words, how could our government tax people in other countries ? Never got an answer.
Bottom line is they have no authority to do it and it is unenforceable. Which is why the whole issue fizzled out and never got implemented.

About time we addressed the real problem which is why product is so expensive in Australia, especially when Australia is so much closer to China than Europe!

Something fundamentally wrong here. You can guarantee that someone benefits from the status quo and resists changing it.

--------------------
Graham Plowman
(British outline 00 - NCE PH PRO-R, Lenz 100 - DCC Sound and computer controlled signalling/interlocking of Ashprington Road with SSI software)

+
Kiwibarge
post 14 Oct 2020, 07:42
Post #4

Guard

Member No.: 204,773

I buy from Hattons, no UK VAT no NZ import duty and relatively cheap shipping £9 a kg (not that much more than NZ courier charges). I save 60-80% over NZ shop prices.

+
Alex Hempel
post 14 Oct 2020, 21:42
Post #5

Ticket Collector

Member No.: 197,345

QUOTE (Graham Plowman @ 14 Oct 2020, 07:58) *
I wrote to the treasurer and finance minister asking under what law could Australia force foreign companies, who had no representation in Australia, to pay Australian tax. In other words, how could our government tax people in other countries ? Never got an answer.
Bottom line is they have no authority to do it and it is unenforceable. Which is why the whole issue fizzled out and never got implemented.

It did get implemented, to a degree. Virtually all major online platforms now charge the GST on top of purchases made from outside Australia (eBay, Ali, BangGood, the works).

Of course it's unenforceable to make a UK or European brick and mortar shop collect and pay Australian taxes, which is why it's not happening. The law says it affects businesses where sales to Australia are above a certain threshold ($75k annually). But the sheer idea of making a completely foreign business register for and collect Australian taxes is ludicrous.

I recently ordered an item from Gaugemaster in the UK, and there was never even a mention of GST. Not sure how much Gaugemaster ships to Australia.

+
hoonsou
post 14 Oct 2020, 22:33
Post #6

Chief cook & bottle washer
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 280

QUOTE (Graham Plowman @ 14 Oct 2020, 07:58) *
And a certain white goods store owner here in Oz wanted GST charged on all overseas purchases just so that his margins wouldn't look so excessive!

And that same white goods store owner lobbied our government to force overseas companies to collect GST and pay it to the Australian Tax Office.

About time we addressed the real problem which is why product is so expensive in Australia, especially when Australia is so much closer to China than Europe!

Something fundamentally wrong here. You can guarantee that someone benefits from the status quo and resists changing it.

Yes Graham, Gerry Harveys whinging whining voice gets on my nerves. A multi millionaire or probably billionaire has the government doing his dirty work for him. I'm not surprised you got no answer from the government. I know Hattons and Rails of Sheffield to mention only two have nothing to do with it.

As for China being closer, I agree there as well. Just about everything else we buy nowadays comes direct from China, so what's going on with our stuff.

I imagine that if importing direct from China ever happened, we'd still be paying more because of import duties and GST. Why do we pay tax on tax?

BTW, who remembers G Harvey going to his stores in disguise and belittling his staff on one of the cheap current affair programmes.

--------------------
Cheers, Peter.

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2020 - 01:48