Reply to this topicStart new topic
> hornby 040, wheels
kingjim
post 15 Oct 2020, 12:25
Post #1

Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,235

Hi I have some old Hornby 040s and they some times stop when going through the points, I have checked the the wheels back to back and they are way out .I need to open the gap is there a way I can do this with out a wheel puller, if not can any one recommend one for me, cheep as possible as I only have three of them to alter, thank you, Jim.
Go to the top of the page

+
34C
post 15 Oct 2020, 13:12
Post #2

In depth idiot

Member No.: 1,818

A small hammer and a 2"nail with the point filed off to act as a punch is all you need, cheap and superior to a wheel puller because you will not disturb the seating of the wheel on the axle.

Method:
Put the model on its side on your non-dominant hand's palm and orient it so that thumb and index or middle finger of that hand can support the nail on the axle end you want to move. (If the loco is too large to reach around, remove the loco body.) Tap the nail, gently, and assess by measurement what movement has been achieved. Better control by small movements, no mighty belting required. Sounds a little tricky but actually quite simple with practice.

Notes:
Dependent on the age of the model the wheel profile may have narrow back to back because the flanges are very thick. Back to Back is a 'substitution measurement' for the gauge measurement that is actually required, which is 15.5mm from back of flange on one wheel to the flange root of the other wheel on the axle. If the flanges are over a millimetre thick then the much quoted back to back of 14.5mm is not applicable.

When attempting to open out a set of press fitted loco driving wheels, look at both ends of the axle in profile, and start work on an axle end that is standing proud of the wheelface, or if one axle end is flush and the other sunk beneath the wheelface the one that is flush. Ideally distribute the axle movement so that both axle ends are similarly positioned relative to the wheelface.

+
kingjim
post 19 Oct 2020, 17:10
Post #3

Fireman

Member No.: 6,235

Hi ,thanks for that ,I had a fine punch and it worked just fine, all three are going well and the points no problem cheers ,Jim

+
34C
post 19 Oct 2020, 18:27
Post #4

In depth idiot

Member No.: 1,818

Excellent.

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2020 - 01:59