> British Outline Z, A guide to modelling UK railways in Z scale
kevsmith
post 22 Mar 2016, 18:50
Post #1

Passed Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,527

Hi all.
I am shortly putting 'Midsomer Mardy' our famous British Z gauge layout up for sale to make room for the new layout to be based on Chesterfield in Derbyshire which will be called 'Tapton Junction'. However, I know that possible purchasers are going to be asking the question 'what is available in British Z to run on it?'

The short answer is not much, unless you get a bit creative so I thought I would run a thread on what you can achieve repainting, kit bashing etc

The first and easiest place to start is with the RTR Elmar Class 47 which had a plastic body on a Marklin chassis. Long out of production these still crop up fairly regularly second hand.

There are also some resin cast bodies around which fit onto the standard Marklin Co-Co chassis which can be repainted in a variety of BR colour schemes

Above is the classic 'Intercity livery' and below is the later 'Virgin' livery

Both of these used whole body side decals sold by a guy on Ebay a couple of years ago but I haven't seen them listed lately

I kitbashed one of the Elmar bodies into the Class 56 heavy freight Co-Co which can also be painted in a variety of liveries like the BR Big Logo one

more in a mo

Kev
Go to the top of the page

+
kevsmith
post 22 Mar 2016, 19:07
Post #2

Passed Fireman

A good example of what can be achieved is this pairing of a DRS class 57 and 47. The decals for this were Lancaster Models DRS coach side decals which are exactly the right size!

Graham Jones will crop up at time on this thread, firstly with the resin HST power cars he used to do. These also fit on a standard Marklin Bo-Bo chassis with the front coupler removed

They picture behind was one of my 'prototype for everything' evidence pics if anybody asked at a show!

I'll keep hopping about from steam to diesel to rolling stock as I go along so next up is 'Flying Scotsman' very much in the news at present. first up is Graham Jones white metal LNER A3 which fits the Marklin pacific chassis and the tender of which uses the bottom part of a Marklin 8 wheel tender. This useful as straight away you have a Marklin coupler ready installed at the back end

But there is also the 'Atlas editions' collectable static model advertised quite widely with its accompanying Gresley teak coaches. I've been chopping one of these about recently to motorise it with encouraging results.

In this shot you can see where I have carved the inside of the cab and boiler to make room. I found that the Marklin motor was just a bit fat at the top and was splaying the cab sides out. The guys on trainboard were very helpful and assured ne that you could take a bit of meat off the outside of the motor without affecting the performance. The knife points to the area in question.

+
kevsmith
post 22 Mar 2016, 19:26
Post #3

Passed Fireman

Now with the body snuggled down the loco is seen on Shasta at 'Macclesfield show'. I haven't fitted proper tender wheels yet but the loco has come out fine

Back to modern image and the advent of 3D printing has really opened a can of worms for a lot of modellers. IvanF is putting some really useful stuff on his Shapeways pages (I'll put as many links as I can to all these people at the end of the thread)

His Class 66 fits the MTL SD40-2 chassis although it needs the lighting board removing, Once again Steve from Lancaster Models supplied the DRS decals

The HTA hoppers behind it are scratchbuilt from Plasticard and use the Marklin American freight bogies . I have loads of these spare from fitting MTL rolling bearing trucks to Marklin USA freight cars. Again this means that the couplings tie in with the 47s and 56s. The HTA is a relatively simple box shape to do and they can be built in batches

As a bit of a wind up I posed the 66 on an american flat car as if it was heading to the docks for export to the U.K from the EMD manufacturing plant

The loco hauling it is the one that supplies the donor chassis!

Also from IvanF is the well known Class 86 AC electric. I put a Marklin BR101 chassis underneath and finished it in railblue and of course in this case the donor loco also supplies the pantograph.

The ZVA engineers wagons are the 8610 low sided wagons repainted in 'Dutch Livery' which are really easy to pick up second hand

more soon

Kev

+
kevsmith
post 22 Mar 2016, 19:47
Post #4

Passed Fireman

Bulleid pacifics

IvanF does a nice Merchant Navy which fits the Marklin chassis. I should mention the Bavarian Pacific is the one to go for not the later BR01. I know it hasn't got BFB driving wheels but at a show no-one has ever noticed.

The LMS 57ft coaches were previously seen behind the Z-club A3 and are old 00 scale litho sides scanned into the computer and reduced down to Z in Adobe photoshop and printed out on glossypaper. These are then fixed onto a simple scratchbuilt bodyshell and run on MTL passenger trucks.

I did rush this one a bit and should have spent a bit more time cleaning up the ridges left by the 3D printing process.

The Bulleid light pacific is also done as a static by Atlas editions with matching Pullmans. This should be a doddle to motorise and will be started soon. The advantage of these are of course that they are ready painted and lined

One disadvantage of the Atlas coaches is that the bogie are cast solid with the underframe and do not swivel. Over the next few days I'm trying both Marklin and MTL passnger bogies underneath both the Gresleys and Pullmans and will let you know how i get on.

Here are some example of reduced scale Litho sides and overlays. The previously mentioned LMS 57 footers, some HST coaches I got a few years ago from a guy in Scotland whose name I need to recall and an example of a GWR coach fresh from the printer

I'll slot a couple of videos into the thread to illustrate how the stock looks running

Midsomer mardy at Maryport show

more soon

Kev

+
kevsmith
post 22 Mar 2016, 20:21
Post #5

Passed Fireman

Repaints and chop jobs

The easiest conversion I think is converting the standard diesel shunter to a BR Class 07. These locos crop up in the starter sets.

Both BR green and Railblue can be done the only difference is that I didn't shorten the cab roof on the blue one, The side hand rails have to go

The green 07 trundles over the viaduct on Midsomer Mardy with a rake of ex Private owner wagons. These are scratchbuilt bodies on Z-Club GB etched wagon chassis. The BR 20T brake van is scratchbuilt on a Marklin 4 wheel tank wagon chassis

More ambitious and not quite as successful is converting the Marklin BR24 2-6-0 to a LNER K3 by removing all the 'Germanic' details and modifying the tender. I'm going to come back to this one day as there is room for improvement

Kev

+
kevsmith
post 22 Mar 2016, 20:57
Post #6

Passed Fireman

If you are modelling the 90's things are easier as many of the freight wagons were virtually identical to European desings

The Marklin 60ft container flat is very generic and at shows I borrowed Bill Dicksons rake to combine with my own Marklin ones to make a typical freightliner intermodal

47 302 is seen on a long train of containers

Also seen on U.k rails were the two types of coil steel carriers. the trapulin topped and telescopic roof variants both made by Marklin

Minimal repainting is required to reproduce the Foster Yeoman O&K wagons. The EOS bogie open is the base vehicle. Mask off the TOPS panel, spray white and use Fox Transfers Yeoman name panels

Also really easy is the TTA tank wagon using the standard Marklin tank. The top handrails are disposed off and the vehicle is painted black to represent wagons in Bitumen traffic. Again the TOPS panel is masked off before painting

seen on the test track in my office

Kev

+
Gary Russ
post 23 Mar 2016, 06:34
Post #7

Fireman

Member No.: 13,587

Thanks Kev. Do you know if there are many Z scale modellers into British outline?

--------------------
Gary
Sydney, Australia
Z scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout".

+
kevsmith
post 2 Apr 2016, 20:36
Post #8

Passed Fireman

QUOTE (Gary Russ @ 23 Mar 2016, 06:34) *
Thanks Kev. Do you know if there are many Z scale modellers into British outline?

There is a few and the situation will get better as more stuff hopefully becomes available

It also helps if you get stuck into a bit more creative stuff. I made an HEA household coal hopper to fit onto the Marklin 4 wheel tank chassis but took a silicone rubber mould of it and cast a few more up

Also in resin is a basic Mk III coach body to which I have fixed 'Newstead Models' overlays. These are being pulled by one of Newstead's Class 90 loco bodies running on a BR 101 chassis. These overlays are computer printed onto self adhesive paper so are a bit fragile but look good from a distance at a show

I mentioned scaling down old 00 scale litho sides. these are some private owner wagon side getting the treatment

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn340/k...h%20Z/BC200.jpg

More soon

Kev

+
Gary Russ
post 4 Apr 2016, 08:23
Post #9

Fireman

Thanks Kev. I would have thought that Z would be more popular in the UK, what with generally smaller houses. But, then again, Z has really only just started to take off in Japan, where the residences are even smaller.

--------------------
Gary
Sydney, Australia
Z scale

+
kevsmith
post 4 Apr 2016, 18:45
Post #10

Passed Fireman

Sadly it is still a very obscure scale in the U.K but we always get a fantastic reception when we show a quality layout at a show in the U.K. It is good to see the development of the Japanese market forging ahead. I bought some Tenshodo stuff and it runs like little watches.

I always said that if Marklin had been smart they would have brought an RTR Class 66. These are all over Europe and Marklin could have had great fun bringing out new colour schemes every year and it would have cracked the U.K market for them.

Video of British Outline stuff running can be found on an old video of Midsomer Mardy I have on Youtube

Midsomer Mardy 2011

Kev

+
Gary Russ
post 6 Apr 2016, 06:07
Post #11

Fireman

Thanks for the video link. You wouldn't be a fan of a certain whodunnit series, would you?

Marklin haven't served their fan base terribly well, at least in Z scale. For example, they have lots of fans in Austria, but their OBB offerings have been limited. How hard can it be? - most OBB locos and rolling stock are copies of what the DB uses anyway.

--------------------
Gary
Sydney, Australia
Z scale

+
kevsmith
post 22 May 2016, 19:52
Post #12

Passed Fireman

Midsomer Mardy was listed on Ebay tonight, will be sad to see it go but I've just run out of room! I'll start a thread on Tapton Junction once I get going but expect to see Republic Steel in 'Parkgate' form before then.

In the meantime I'm looking at squeezing a P8 chassis under the Atlas King 4-6-0. more soon

Kev

+
kevsmith
post 5 Jun 2016, 17:57
Post #13

Passed Fireman

More conversions

The big Marklin Sliding wall bogie van can be repainted into either Cargowaggon livery. These popped up in various places in the U.K

The ones above are the blue overall colour scheme

The ones below are the more common silverside ones. transfers were home made printed on to white decal sheet

There were also some distinctive ones in Cider traffic

These home made transfers were not quite as successful as the brown was starting to break up a bit

I've also got round to doing some more work on the etched MEA open wagon etched kit I got off Graham Jones

more soon
Kev

+
kevsmith
post 5 Jun 2016, 18:13
Post #14

Passed Fireman

Now if you collect Marklin Z and like me tend to pick up anything going at swapmeets etc you'll probably end up with more than a few of the 4 wheel insulated vans that appear in a wide variety of liveries. Now the only one I think you could justify on a British layout is the 'Interfrigo' one but in all my time looking at British railways I have only ever seen one and that was at Grimsby Docks on fish traffic. The chassis however can be really useful. So far I have made 6 into 3 x Double Bolster wagon, 2 into RRA runner wagons and one into a 22 ton 4 wheel plate wagon. Simple scratchbuilt bodies on the Marklin chassis

A double bolster.

47 302 in Railfreight livery shunts a steel pipe train into alternating double bolsters and RRA spacer wagons ready for loading

The bogie bolster wagon behind is scratchbuilt and sits on MTL bogies

more soon
Kev

+
Gary Russ
post 6 Jun 2016, 11:56
Post #15

Fireman

They all look great Kev. Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
Gary
Sydney, Australia
Z scale

+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th July 2020 - 11:13