> British Outline Z, A guide to modelling UK railways in Z scale
kevsmith
post 20 Jun 2016, 18:49
Post #16

Passed Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,527

Paintshop week

Two Hymeks, a class 73 and a class 24 now with the grills picked out in a darker railblue blue and also an etched MEA open coal wagon to be finished in EWS colours. The EMD FT is sat in primer to reveal where more sanding is needed and the torpedo wagons are just needing a bit more weathering

Kev
Go to the top of the page

+
kevsmith
post 26 Jun 2016, 12:53
Post #17

Passed Fireman

Progressing nicely on double bolster wagons and runner wagons. Simple scratchbuilt bodies on Marklin van chassis. One of the new Hymeks pass the blast furnace on an unfitted freight

Now steelworks tend to be hoarders of ancient rolling stock. Walking round the bottom end of Workington steel works a few years ago I found a load of wagons long since displaced from mainline service like a single bolster wagon

These are easily modelled form the rather strange Marklin lumber wagon. In this case I added the swivelling bolster to each wagon and connected them with a pivoting drawbar. The Bogie Bolster D is scratchbuilt. The completed Class 73 is on the head end of a short pick-up freight

Kev

+
kevsmith
post 17 Sep 2016, 20:09
Post #18

Passed Fireman

Well Midsomer Mardy has departed to a new life in South Wales which has made a bit of room in the layout shed. So Republic Steel in its U.K guise is the only layout I can run my British stuff on until Tapton Junction comes along.

On the rolling stock front I'm now on with some more 3D printed stuff

The Southern Railway USATC 0-6-0T has been designed by IvanF on Shapeways and fits the Marklin BR89 chassis with a couple of minor mods. Available as a single or three pack as I've got other uses for these as well and I've also had another of his class 86 A.C electrics done as well.

With the cab and tank sides in green primer it's starting to look the part. This one will be finished in the preserved livery of the one at Keighley

I'm going to leave the boiler and fittings black I think the the paint division halfway up the domes looks silly

Wheel centres need to be black and the valve gear will need toning down.

Kev

+
kevsmith
post 6 Oct 2016, 10:00
Post #19

Passed Fireman

Two BR liveried ones shunt the docks. One moving empty Pullman stock for servicing whilst the other waits to move some 21T plate wagons (actually posed on Cuyahoga for photographic purposes)

A private owner one takes the plate wagons further into the dock complex.

This one will be used mainly on 'Republic Steel', shunting the 'Highline'

All three locos will feature on my display of British Z at Zedex in a couple of weeks time

cheers
Kev

+
kevsmith
post 6 Oct 2016, 15:02
Post #20

Passed Fireman

Mk I coaching stock from Shapeways (IvanF)

Might try and get one painted for Zedex

Another class 86 finished in Virgin livery (Tony Hill's transfers) with the railblue one behind

The etched MEA open has had some lettering applied

Kev

+
kevsmith
post 11 Oct 2016, 18:22
Post #21

Passed Fireman

Just arrived from Holland

Stonysmiths first British design on Shapeways the classic 27T iron ore tippler.

These vehicles were built in the early 1960s and as late as 1992 were being converted to ZKV ballast wagons for engineering work. This is a Beta example which I won't have much time to look at before Zedex this weekend but I'll give Stonysmith some feedback next week. main thing will be the addition of some brake gear.

I will have it on display at Didcot

Kev

+
kevsmith
post 4 Jan 2017, 18:51
Post #22

Passed Fireman

Here are three of the Mk 1s behind a resin 47 all in Intercity Executive livery. The kitchen car took a tumble off the workbench (my fault) and was damaged so is being converted to one of the Cinema coaches. I'll picture this once the 'railfreight' transfers arrive. The coaches are sat on bogies from the middle cars of the JR 485 EMU set and will have simple 'Link and Pin' couplings as they are going to run as a fixed rake. Ivanf has just put a BG parcels van up onto the Shapeways web site which will be very handy to go with these

!

In the foreground you can see the Series 2 Land Rovers done as a 3 pack by 'Exlibris' on Shapeways. These are exquisite and very finely detailed. I've ordered a set of his Renault 5s next

the coaches again this time hauled by the Virgin livery 86

On the Iron ore tippler front, once I finished the show season, I had a bit more time to play with the test one. Stonysmith used the dimensions I sent him but the model came out too small so I measured the size needed to get the Full throttle wheels underneath and he has scaled it up accordingly. I've ordered a couple and will let you know how I get on

+
kevsmith
post 9 Jan 2017, 20:23
Post #23

Passed Fireman

Well the weather at the weekend was rotten up here so I had a productive couple of the days in the workshop modifying and repainting some Marklin stock.

I had a lot of the 8610 low sided wagons so first up was some simple repaints into the later all red Railfreight livery as OAA plate wagons

Now the ones that come with the tarpaulin tops are very similar to the sheeted wagons that worked between Cardiff Rod mill and Tinsley in Sheffield. I still need to add the Cardiff rod mill branding to the tarp which I'll probably hand draw onto white waterslide transfer sheet

Now another conversion is to increase the height of the ends to represent the similar 31T open merchandise OBA wagons. These were a common sight and then passed into departmental stock as 'Bass' wagons

The ends are built up with plasticard

more in a bit

Kev

+
kevsmith
post 9 Jan 2017, 20:40
Post #24

Passed Fireman

When I was at Hartlepool show with Cuyahoga Geoff and Alison from Contikits brought along a box of unboxed Marklin wagons in various states of repair. Some of these were the Marklin 4 wheel gondola that had started to warp with age. Now it is usually the body that is going, the chassis and ballast weight are usually o.k

Whipping the bodies off I decided to model the PNA Plasmor Concrete Block wagons with their gated sides and high ends. Simply built from Plasticard and N scale handrails to represent the sides I knocked up three fairly quickly onto the donor chassis

Two were modelled with the gates up and one with them folded down

+
kevsmith
post 14 Jan 2017, 21:21
Post #25

Passed Fireman

As I mentioned before the first printing of the 21T iron Or Tippler came out too small so Stonysmith blew it up a bit so i could fit metal wheels underneath

Here are a couple of the new version with the printed wheels still in (they do actually turn and are the right gauge to sit on the track)

The wheels were broken out and metal wheels dropped in and fitted perfectly so a quick blast of red primer was put on and a height check done against one of the Hymeks

Also in the Shapeways parcel was a set of Exlibris Renault 5s. Once again incredibly finely detailed. Be aware that these are extremely fragile! Once they are finished they will be fixed to the layout in a sheltered location. I'm looking forward to doing some sort of 'Boy racer' colour scheme on the Renault 5 Turbo

From Ivanf on shapeways I thought I'd try the Derby Lightweight single unit railcar. I've gone down a slightly different path with the finishing of this one. Normally, I apply one coat of primer after the shell has been cleaned up in the Ultrasonic cleaner to reveal where the worst of the layer lines from the printing process are but they were quite obvious to the naked eye. So I sanded the majority of the ones on the roof out before cleaning. Did this with wet and dry paper strips glued to wooden stirring stick collected by the kids from a well known burger chain restaurants. These are then shaped to get into the nooks and crannies around the vents and exhaust pipes

I'll keep you updated on these as I go along.

The damaged Mk I coach has now been converted to a cinema car in Railfreight livery and is just waiting for a coat of matt varnish

Cheers
Kev

+
kevsmith
post 22 Jan 2017, 20:31
Post #26

Passed Fireman

Been busy

The Renault 5s came out really well but are VERY small. not easy to hold during painting. Seen here with the Land Rovers which are also on exlibris page of shapeways.

Tell you what, you never see a Renault 5 on the road these days!

The Mk 1 coach that went crashing on the floor has been resurrected as one of BRs Cinema coaches. I saw the real thing at a Barrow Hill open day back in the early 1980s

You can see how the cunning plan is coming on. The OBAs and OAAs are starting to get loaded with slab steel and the twin bolsters with Pipe or steel loads. The ones loaded with pipes will have the runner wagons interspaced between them when marshalled into the train

I've had the resin casting line running again. The mould for the HEA hopper wagon is staring to break up so I've cast as many as I could before it lets go

More shortly

Kev

+
kevsmith
post 17 Jun 2018, 18:18
Post #27

Passed Fireman

So I've been working on Ivan's new Mk II TSO which will be the first of a a variety of BR Air conditioned stock he is releasing on Shapeways. The underframe needs a bit more detail which I'm trying to get the drawings for but the bodyshell has come out really good. body is printed in 'Smooth fine detail plastic' Shapeways have changed all the names of the materials but this is basically what was known as FUD. to follow are a BSO and FO to make up a representative Intercity train. The chassis are done in 'Black natural versatile 'plastic formerly known as SBF which is a bit grainy but very tough

decals are from Tony Hill who also does Virgin and Anglia that should be suitable

The two latest Class 86s, also finished with Tony's decals are seen double heading with the TSO behind

Still tweaking the Mk Is finished in executive livery seen here with the prototype GUV van finished in railblue/grey. I've got another in the paintshop being finished in Executive livery.

Group shot of the 86s. I'm not happy with the Virgin one, my masking lines are crap and it need a major tidy uo ! that is why its at the back of the picture. I'm tempted to strip the paint off just to see how the ABS copes with modelstrip for future reference.

Also in the next parcel from Shapeways is Ivan's new steam outline bodyshell, ostensibly an LBSC E2 0-6-0T designed to fit the Marklin BR89 chassis, Now the real thing did not have outside cylinders but from the 3D rendering on the website it looks like a dead ringer for the NCB Barclay 0-6-0Ts well known from the Ayr and Waterside colliery systems in Scotland so I'll see what I can do.

+
Gianfranco Visen...
post 13 Sep 2019, 16:13
Post #28

Baggage Porter

Member No.: 198,469

Hello,
I just want to bring to your attention that there is another model of Z-scale rolling stock that used to run on British rail.
It is the FS refrigerated wagon type Hgb (the last b stands for British loading gauge).
It was used to bring fresh produce from Italy (Sicilian oranges I guess) to the UK, and as such it was modified from a normal Hg car to fit the British loading gauge.
A small Italian producer in Sicily makes it using Märklin chassis and etched brass.
it is the second one in the fourth row of this image
It can be better seen it the pages or the producer, article D.008 at this page
(I cannot link the picture as it is a google-site).

No connection to the vendor, I just thought it could be interesting to add to the list in this topic.
Ciao
Gianfranco

--------------------

+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th July 2020 - 08:53