Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3D printed Brass in Z
kevsmith
post 16 Jun 2019, 20:20
Post #1

Passed Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,527

Every now and then this hobby of ours throws up some pleasant surprises.

one such turned up by courier from Shapeways in Holland the other day. Inside the parcel was a black cloth draw string bag (classy touch) containing a 3D printed bodyshell for a GE/Ingersoll Rand Boxcab diesel shunter. I had already got printed in FUD on Stonysmith's shapeway page but Walt, on his SouthernNscale page, had done one in 3D brass with nearly every detail printed in. It was stunning.

Like stonysmiths it was designed to fit the Rokuhan shorty chassis but being in brass there was the advantage, straight away, that the weight was going to transform the performance of the Shorty

There are some rasterization lines (layer lines) visible but to be honest they did not bother me much and would be a lot harder to clean up than a similar shell printed in FUD. The rest of the detail was very impressive with the radiators, grab rails and roof detail all present

Although Walt designed it to fit straight onto the Shorty chassis it sits too high if you use the locating lugs on the chassis so I cut them off and added packing pieces on top.

extensive track testing on 'Hakuho' did show that it tracked really well and would pull a decent amount of stock. there is enough space above to fit a decoder and lighting board

Seen doing the job I had in mind for it , working on the forest line

Kev

Go to the top of the page

+
kevsmith
post 16 Jun 2019, 20:28
Post #2

Passed Fireman

Now I don't have the heart to paint it yet. So I'm going to leave it unpainted for this autumns shows and run it just to show other modelers just how far 3D printing is going.

i know that some of the guys in the USA are already planning on doing one of these in the New Jersey Central livery the preserved prototype carries

How-to video at

https://youtu.be/1jbrNff4mAo

regards

kev

+
dwb
post 16 Jun 2019, 21:25
Post #3

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

Amazing.

I guess brass printed stuff is more sturdy that plastic for fine detail?

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
34030 Watersmeet
post 20 Jun 2019, 18:08
Post #4

Fireman

Member No.: 4,098

Really impressive!

+
kevsmith
post 19 Sep 2019, 20:35
Post #5

Passed Fireman

Latest

Chichibu Railway (An Industrial Limestone railway in Japan) DEKI 500 electric. Again made to fit the Shorty chassis

Once I've got the shows out of the way I'll start looking at what Pantograph to fit

Real railway here

Chichibu railway

I've managed to get enough info to have a go at the Limestone hoppers with their distinctive brake cabs built into the hopper ends

I've also got the 3D printed Brass chassis to fit Walt's Fairbanks Morse switcher which takes all the bits from a Shorty chassis and extends it.

Looking at it I'm already thinking about doing a Class 20 using the same technique

more soon

Kev

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th July 2020 - 10:52