Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

entry 24 Feb 2012, 22:50
Hello all
​ I've been wanting to have a continuous run for quite a while but space or rather lack of as curtailed plans till now.
what i have ended up with is a baseboard with a total length of thirteen and a half feet by four,would have loved it to be a bit wider but width limited by where it has to be stored.Between two wardrobes.

Only the front threeboards will be scenic,the rest hidden with a fiddle yard and return loop.

Not much got done over the summer with other things getting in way,but finaly got a train running, and even though a good few joints across boards there has not been any problems yet with the electrics Ive altered track a little from how i first had it and moved turntable a bit further back.You may notice the difference in some of the resent photos when i add them.

Anyway a picture can paint a thousand words so to speak so here are a few to explain how its assembled.

Tel

Attached Image

Layout in folded away position with doors closed.The doors have shelf's on outside .

Attached Image

Here is earlier shots of layout in stored position,the chain was for safety until i got the doors made and on.First job is lifting end turntable board out,its on the left in picture.

Attached Image

next job is unfold a trestle and fasten these wood ' beams' across the bed,they are held in position with back flap hinges with removable pins.ive colour coded these.

Attached Image

The main board can now be lowered,it runs on small rollers, fasterned to removableboard with handle.

Attached Image

Close up of rollers

Attached Image

Boards down ,lifting handle removed,end turntable board unfolded and attached.Its locates with dowels and held in place with back flap hinges as well.

Attached Image

This is the rear board which lowers down and sits on its own leg and also fastened to beam with back flap hinge

Attached Image

Close up of leg with adjustable foot. Made with hole in leg holding a captive nut and i used a hole cutter to make foot.

Lastly which i still need a photo of is the connecting board between these two rear boards,which is a four track fiddel yard siting on draw runners which inturn locate onto dowels.
When all is in place i have a compete oval of track.

The electrical connections consist of two twenty five way pugs which fit into control board which hangs on front of layout by means of a pair of flush mounts.

The layout will be a fictitious preserved branch line, so i can run a variety of different stock a good few quite old and belonging to my late father.

Ive named the layout Castle Bolton, having had a lovely dayout with my wife at the castle last year, there's no railway there, just taken the name.although my model may end up with a hint of a castle in background if i can manage it.

Since the above photos taken ive made some more headway,turntable built/installed,platforms build,building made but to place,engine shed made,also to place.This week ive completed the control panel and made a start on some of the scenery. waiting as i write for the paper-mache to go off.So some more updates soon.

Tel

« Next Oldest · Castle Bolton, a oo gauge, fold away,continuous run layout · Next Newest »

Comments

dwb
post 25 Feb 2012, 12:19
Comment #1

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

I don't think I've ever seen a layout which folded away quite like that, nice job thumbsup.gif

I look forward to seeing more.

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.
Go to the top of the page
post 25 Feb 2012, 15:19
Comment #2

Ticket Collector

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,723

QUOTE (dwb @ 25 Feb 2012, 12:19)
I don't think I've ever seen a layout which folded away quite like that, nice job thumbsup.gif

I look forward to seeing more.

David

Hi David
Thanks for the nice comments ,it looks a bit complicated but it can be put up/ away in about fifteen minutes.I would have preferd a permanent board but haven't the space so needs must.

The fiddle yard board had slide in ends and top so can leave stock on it when put away,i just need to add some dividers for safety in case board tilted.
Sorry about quality of some of the photos,some taken with phone and old camera,both not up to much ,think it will be our next big purchase.

Tel

--------------------
My Castle bolton layout blog
Visit My Blog
post 21 Apr 2012, 11:49
Comment #3

Regional Controller
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 1,541

I've just come across this description of your layout. It seems to be an ingenious way of overcoming the lack of space problem. It just goes to show that railway modellers are determined people who will always find a way to get over a problem.

Robert

--------------------
"Little Salkeld" is my late 1950's midland region layout with Settle and Carlisle flavour.
https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...c=53277&hl=
post 25 Apr 2012, 19:39
Comment #4

Ticket Collector

QUOTE (Robert Stokes @ 21 Apr 2012, 12:49)
I've just come across this description of your layout. It seems to be an ingenious way of overcoming the lack of space problem. It just goes to show that railway modellers are determined people who will always find a way to get over a problem.

Robert

Thanks Robert
Its took a bit of experimenting along the way,but works a treat.since initial photos taken ive since added a 2nd leg to end board to make it a bit more stable while that board is un folded. even with bits of added scenery that have to be removed before folding board,it still onlt takes between ten and fifteen minutes to erect / put away.

Tel

--------------------
Visit My Blog
post 22 Dec 2013, 20:24
Comment #5

Ticket Collector

Member No.: 16,655

I still finding my way around this website, lets see if I can reply to your blog. I see you've been working on it for a few years.
I'm a great fan of the Settle - Carlisle line and was able to visit there in 2011.
I've spent several years playing with that part of the world on my TRAINZ computer simulation. Do you of know it?
That's why I recently decided to switch from HO Australian outline to OO British - The trains look better smile.gif
post 22 Dec 2013, 22:30
Comment #6

Ticket Collector

QUOTE (k.close @ 22 Dec 2013, 20:24)
I still finding my way around this website, lets see if I can reply to your blog. I see you've been working on it for a few years.
I'm a great fan of the Settle - Carlisle line and was able to visit there in 2011.
I've spent several years playing with that part of the world on my TRAINZ computer simulation. Do you of know it?
That's why I recently decided to switch from HO Australian outline to OO British - The trains look better smile.gif

Hi Ken
Yes a lovely area to visit,passed through a couple of years back while staying in Hawes which is also a lovely place with railway history.And a rather nice cheese factory (Wensleydale). smile.gif
My Castle Bolton layout is named after a nice day out to Bolton Castle,not far from Hawes,well worth a visit.
alas not updated this blog for a while and layout is now mostly dismantled.I have got one or two ideas floating in my head so will see where that takes me.
All i know is next layout will be built so i can take it with me.
Terry

--------------------
Visit My Blog

« Next Oldest · Castle Bolton, a oo gauge, fold away,continuous run layout · Next Newest »

SMTWTFS

Search My Blog

Search My Blog

My Picture

My Picture