> Shorty 2, a tale of two boxcabs
kevsmith
post 13 Jan 2019, 16:12
Post #1

Passed Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,527

Hi all.
Following on from my two 3d printed Bo-Bo shunters designed to fit the Rokuhan Shorty chassis I've recently completed two different Boxcab shunters designed to fit the same mechanism

One is the GE-Ingersol Rand boxcab similar to the Central New Jersey RR loco now preserved at the Baltimore and Ohio museum. designed by Stonysmith on Shapeways it does not have a lot of detail on it as standard and the windows are printed solid. You'll see on the video how I went about detailing it up and also how to make the windows more convincing

The other loco is a bit of a rare one. It is one of the British Thompson Houston Bo-Bos built to work the Ford plant at Dagenham. One still survives today at the Kent and East Sussex. In both locos there was enough space above the mechanism to add additional weight. In the case of the Ford shunter I used the weight to raise the body higher to get the buffer heights right

In the video you will see how I tidied the bodyshells up to eliminate any layer lines and then added extra detail before painting

So the American one, after talking advice from the guys on Trainboard, was finished in Pullman Green and if I can find some Jersey Central crests small enough will be finished as #1000.

I did not do the BTH in Ford livery as it is mainly going to be working the ore yard on Republic Steel so was finished in a generic mid green (Tamiya)

Interestingly the real thing had buckeye couplings with a screw coupling laid on top and buffers so if I choose I can fit MTL couplings with a clear conscience

more in a min
kev
Go to the top of the page

+
kevsmith
post 13 Jan 2019, 16:19
Post #2

Passed Fireman

A comparison shot of the two together. I've still got to flush glaze the Ford shunter but am half way through painting another Class37., This time in early railfreight livery, so I'll do the two together (When i have a steady hand!)

Full 'How to' video here. As these are both very simple locos I hope it encourages people to dip their toes into the world of 3D prints. Each loco cost me about £25 each which in this day and age is not bad at all

Shorty Boxcabs

Kev

+
34030 Watersmeet
post 24 Jan 2019, 15:44
Post #3

Fireman

Member No.: 4,098

Very nice, Kev. They look good on the layout. Some other interesting loco bodies in the background in the first pictures?
The couplings look like they have enough clearance on these locos.

Your video was very interesting as well, particularly the cleaner. Have to look for one of those...

I've recently bought a couple of the 70 tonner 3d printed bodies from shapeways, plus 2 of the shorty bo-bo chassis from Japan. I've found a local model shop that carries peco z gauge track and rail joiners, so now ready for my first (minimalist) foray into Z. I'll start my own thread when I've made some progress.

Look forward to seeing your next project.

Bill

+
kevsmith
post 24 Jan 2019, 20:41
Post #4

Passed Fireman

Good luck Bill
look forward to seeing a thread from you

Next project from me is another Class 37. 37 008 in railfreight livery and carrying unofficial 'Hornet' nameplates applied at Tinsley depot. It is sat in the workshop now with a top coat of lacquer drying

Kev

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th July 2020 - 11:29