> My HO Loft Layout
alanoes
post 3 Jul 2016, 22:45
Post #1

Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,298

Hi all,
This is a brief overview of my HO layout in the loft.
I started collecting Fleischmann track, locos and rolling stock back in the seventies but only had the space, and time to create a couple of temporary layouts.
In 1989, after starting my own electrical contracting business, I decided I needed some permanent office space, so I moved up into the converted loft space. Well, I didn't need all the space for an office, did I rolleyes.gif !
I spent the next 5 years or so, on and off, designing and building my layout. It is not meant to be prototypical in any way and is purely the product of my imagination. I wanted only steam locos, but there are
probably some items of scenery and signals that belong to a more modern era. By the mid nineties, I had a working railway that I could run 8 locos on and about two thirds of the scenery completed.
The layout includes 3 round and round tracks and a shuttle line from the main station, that works its way up over 3 levels to another station on the top level. Each of the 4 tracks has a passing zone hidden
behind the scenes.
This was of course, a DC layout, and I used block signalling to run 2 locos on each of the 4 track circuits.
By this time I had noticed the onset of DCC and was amazed at what it could do (and the prices biggrin.gif ) This left me a bit disillusioned with my layout and I left it untouched for several years running it occasionally.
This time last year, my grandson was 2 years old, he is a typical boy who loves cars and trains. That was all the excuse I needed to re-start the layout build. Being of the age where I find myself with a bit more
disposable income, I decided to go DCC, and over the past year or so I have stripped out all the spaghetti of the DC control wiring, installed a DCC bus system, soldered up hundreds of droppers. completed a lot
more scenery, including the main railway station, and invested in several DCC sound locos (all Fleischmann) and had some of my old DC locos converted to DCC sound.
The layout also incorporates an original Faller Road System. When it ran with the DC layout, it was synced with the level crossing gates and lights to stop the cars when a train approached and the barriers closed.
That went when I stripped the old control wiring out, but I will eventually re-do it with DCC control. I have new Viessmann electronic barriers in place , as the original Faller ones were controlled with lengths of
cotton that eventually tangled and snapped, the Faller level crossing house is still standing though.
The next job is to rewire all the points back and connect them to DCC control.
At the moment I am using a Fleischmann MultiMAUS system to run the locos. I have purchased a Z21 system and eventually want to run the majority of the locos with Train Controller Gold.
Below is a track layout plan. The thin red line represents the loft wall or scenery line, all track above and to the right of it cannot be seen.

Below is a brief video overview of the layout to date, please excuse the dodgy video.

Regards
Alan
Go to the top of the page

+
Adrian Ross
post 4 Jul 2016, 09:48
Post #2

Untitled
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 19,202

Hello,

thanks for the video. It wasn't that dodgy.

unlike this:
the original Faller ones were controlled with lengths of cotton
blink.gif

--------------------
Waiting for a station, just like some people wait for a train

+
Babz
post 4 Jul 2016, 11:20
Post #3

Footplate Inspector

Member No.: 11,666

Alan Good Afternoon Thank you for Sharing, Your Layout Plans and Little Video, VERY VERY Nice Indeed, I am glad i am not the only one who wants and Uses Fleischmann Track, I know it has it's Faults and is Quite Pricey But I really Like it. I promise when I start Laying my Track I will Give Picture Updates as I go along. Babs

+
Ian555
post 4 Jul 2016, 12:31
Post #4

Station Master

Member No.: 7,576

Hi Alan,

Another HO Layout...looking good.

I hope you have a stair for access to the loft... smile.gif

Ian.

+
Allegheny1600
post 4 Jul 2016, 12:51
Post #5

What do I put here!?!
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 6,567

Hello Alan,
A lovely video of a lovely layout!
Thank you for sharing and it's really good to see another Fleischmann fan and also a fan of Prussian railways!
Pröst!
John.

--------------------
Roll on, Southern Pacific, On your silver rails, Through the moonlight.
N. Young. 2011

My layout: Leberecht

Read This: Is this fair?

+
Victor Chong
post 4 Jul 2016, 14:02
Post #6

Guard

Member No.: 16,265

Hi Alan looking at your video on the layout makes me feel ashamed on my uncompleted layout since i started "building" it 20 years ago.

+
alanoes
post 4 Jul 2016, 20:48
Post #7

Fireman

[quote name='Adrian Ross' date='4 Jul 2016, 10:48' post='476945']
Hello,

thanks for the video. It wasn't that dodgy.

unlike this:
blink.gif
the original Faller ones were controlled with lengths of cotton

Thanks Adrian
LOL, that was the technology back in the day. Faller B-174

Regards
Alan

+
alanoes
post 4 Jul 2016, 20:56
Post #8

Fireman

QUOTE (Babz @ 4 Jul 2016, 12:20) *
Alan Good Afternoon Thank you for Sharing, Your Layout Plans and Little Video, VERY VERY Nice Indeed, I am glad i am not the only one who wants and Uses Fleischmann Track, I know it has it's Faults and is Quite Pricey But I really Like it. I promise when I start Laying my Track I will Give Picture Updates as I go along. Babs

Hi Babs,
Glad you liked it, as said, I've always chosen Fleischmann. Back in the early seventies I think it was the best quality you could get in the UK, and the brass track was a revelation. No Profi Track in those days biggrin.gif
I know things have changed now, but I still like Fleischmann/Roco
Look forward to seeing your layout progress
Regards
Alan

+
alanoes
post 4 Jul 2016, 21:00
Post #9

Fireman

QUOTE (Ian555 @ 4 Jul 2016, 13:31) *
Hi Alan,

Another HO Layout...looking good.

I hope you have a stair for access to the loft... smile.gif

Ian.

Hi Ian,
Glad you liked it, no stairs up to the loft. Access by loft ladder. It keeps the other half out of the man cave biggrin.gif
Regards
Alan

+
alanoes
post 4 Jul 2016, 21:03
Post #10

Fireman

QUOTE (Allegheny1600 @ 4 Jul 2016, 13:51) *
Hello Alan,
A lovely video of a lovely layout!
Thank you for sharing and it's really good to see another Fleischmann fan and also a fan of Prussian railways!
Pröst!
John.

Hi John,
Thanks for your nice comments.
Regards
Alan

+
alanoes
post 4 Jul 2016, 21:09
Post #11

Fireman

QUOTE (Victor Chong @ 4 Jul 2016, 15:02) *
Hi Alan looking at your video on the layout makes me feel ashamed on my uncompleted layout since i started "building" it 20 years ago.

Hi Victor,
Thanks for your comments, I know how you feel, mine was left untouched for many years, it was only getting a grandson spurred me into carrying on.
I'm so glad I did though, I'm really enjoying it, going to DCC was like starting again. Probably by the time I've finished there will be newer and better technology
Regards
Alan

+
alanoes
post 4 Jul 2016, 21:35
Post #12

Fireman

Hi all,
Further to my recent layout post, I thought I would show you the sloping control panel surface that once housed the multitude of switches, relays, timers and other controls, not to mention the transformers
that were needed to run the layout in its DC days, every hole you see drilled through it had several cables coming through. I have now added programming track along the bottom edge.
My plan is to extend out 10 - 12 inches along the top edge level with the base board to put a row of houses / shops on the other side of the road to the station.
The Viessmann 5574 push switch is just temporarily connected so I could test a couple of items.

Regards
Alan

+
alanoes
post 26 Jul 2016, 21:15
Post #13

Fireman

Hi all,
I have decided to invest in a Train Safe storage system

http://shop.train-safe.de/en/home/

I think its a great idea, a dust proof storage / display system for locos and rolling stock when not in use.
It is pretty expensive, but good quality stuff, and when you consider the amount of money we have invested in our locos and rolling stock, it puts it more into perspective rolleyes.gif

The first job was to plan where on the layout I could use the system , in my case, there was only one feasible place to load and offload traffic, and that was from the roadway that runs along the front of the layout.

This is the area that needed some adaption to take the track adaptor. It meant I would need a new right hand curved point and point motor, easier said than done when you're working with old Fleischmann brass
Model track wacko.gif
I removed some fencing, measured up, and cut away the grass sheet to take the new track work.

After finding one on ebay, from Holland ! , I cut a section of track and fitted the new point, track and adaptor.

Then re-routed and reinstated the fencing, adding a working gate.

Regards
Alan

+
alanoes
post 26 Jul 2016, 21:32
Post #14

Fireman

I decided on their " Vision" system, as you can actually drive trains in and out of the storage units, and the basic aluminium racking system, as it reasonably cheap, holds more storage units and is expandable.
I have purchased some racking, one 50cm tube, and one 120cm tube to get me started, and I will get more tubes as finances permit wink.gif
For this racking system, they make single brackets, as shown below.

Or double brackets, a great idea if your short on space.

Regards
Alan

+
alanoes
post 26 Jul 2016, 21:50
Post #15

Fireman

Here is a video of the system in use, I can get to this location from anywhere on the layout, with some forward and reverse shunting, which makes it fun to use too biggrin.gif
Sorry if its a bit long winded. The storage units do slot in place a lot easier when I'm not trying to get around the camera and tripod smile.gif

Regards
Alan

+

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2020 - 13:26