Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sources of Information on Signals, Books on prototypes and models
Graham Plowman
post 9 May 2011, 01:55
Post #31

Regional Controller

Group: Members
Member No.: 869

As another online resource, we are building a gallery which includes pictures of various different signal types, including all the mechanical ground equipment that went with them.
The photos have all been taken with the modeller in mind who wants to see the details in order to model them:

http://www.mrol.com.au/Gallery_Infrastruct...7582C2322232327

A fair amount also ties up with our (growing) permanent way gallery, particularly where interlocking equipment is involved:

http://www.mrol.com.au/Gallery_Infrastruct...7582C2322202822

The collection we have online at the moment is only a small part of a very large number of photos currently being uploaded - it's a massive job!

Graham Plowman

--------------------
Graham Plowman
(British outline 00 - NCE PH PRO-R, Lenz 100 - DCC Sound and computer controlled signalling/interlocking of Ashprington Road with SSI software)
Go to the top of the page

+
Steve05
post 9 May 2011, 03:05
Post #32

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 8,402

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the links as our club is researching signalling and have found your photographs extremely helpful. Please keep them coming mate.

Steve

+
Graham Plowman
post 9 May 2011, 03:25
Post #33

Regional Controller

QUOTE (Steve05 @ 9 May 2011, 13:05) *
Hi Graham,

Thanks for the links as our club is researching signalling and have found your photographs extremely helpful. Please keep them coming mate.

Steve

Thanks Steve, much appreciated.

It should be noted that the trackside mechanical hardware (rodding, cranks, pulleys, wires, interlocking etc) is pretty much universal across all regions.

Graham Plowman

--------------------
Graham Plowman
(British outline 00 - NCE PH PRO-R, Lenz 100 - DCC Sound and computer controlled signalling/interlocking of Ashprington Road with SSI software)

+
Richard Johnson
post 9 May 2011, 07:18
Post #34

Just another modeller
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 703

*** Hi Graham

Like Steve I think its a great resource - and hope you keep it growing for the sake of all modellers out there - there can't ever be too much info, especially when its well organised like that.

A positive suggestion: I wonder with things like the ground signals and a few other odd items if you should possibly also add the source / Mfr - ie, Westinghouse, Saxby & Farmer, MR, GWR etc as they did vary a bit across the country, and signal kit Mfrs do offer some variants to buy...

Well done

Richard

--------------------

Direct honest advice from DCC, DC & Modelling experts

Please do visit us at Unit E, The Sidings, BD24 9RP.... right behind Settle Station.
Ph +44 (0) 1729 821 080 or email to
[email protected]
Further customer service available online at:
https://www.dccconceptsforum.com

+
John Webb
post 9 May 2011, 10:56
Post #35

Railways Czar

Member No.: 144

Thanks, Graham, a very worth-while effort.

I think you might want to consider adding a single sentence to each picture describing its function; for example Img-0255 you might have something along the lines of:
"GWR lower quadrant bracket signal with centre-pivot arms used for a site restricted by platform width and sighting under nearby platform canopy and footbridge."

I'd be happy to assist with suggestions if you need a hand.

+
Graham Plowman
post 9 May 2011, 11:09
Post #36

Regional Controller

QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 9 May 2011, 17:18) *
*** Hi Graham

Like Steve I think its a great resource - and hope you keep it growing for the sake of all modellers out there - there can't ever be too much info, especially when its well organised like that.

A positive suggestion: I wonder with things like the ground signals and a few other odd items if you should possibly also add the source / Mfr - ie, Westinghouse, Saxby & Farmer, MR, GWR etc as they did vary a bit across the country, and signal kit Mfrs do offer some variants to buy...

Well done

Richard

Thanks Richard - much appreciated.

There's no reason why that information cannot be added, although to be honest, I don't know the spources/manufacturers and I suspect that since these are preserved railways, some may not be originals. If anyone can provide this information, I'm more than happy to add it.

Regards

Graham Plowman

--------------------
Graham Plowman

+
Graham Plowman
post 9 May 2011, 11:12
Post #37

Regional Controller

QUOTE (John Webb @ 9 May 2011, 20:56) *
Thanks, Graham, a very worth-while effort.

I think you might want to consider adding a single sentence to each picture describing its function; for example Img-0255 you might have something along the lines of:
"GWR lower quadrant bracket signal with centre-pivot arms used for a site restricted by platform width and sighting under nearby platform canopy and footbridge."

I'd be happy to assist with suggestions if you need a hand.

Thanks John.

If you run your mouse over the images, you should see a popup window (fly-by) appear which displays all the information about an image. If you click an image, you will see it full size and the same text appears at the bottom of the picture.
Do you not see the fly-by popup ? This may be a browser issue. It works in IE.

Do you think the text should be displayed with the image and not as a fly-by ? We debated this before implementing and I don't think we agree in-house even now! If you guys think it would be better to display the text, we'll swap it around. Then again, how much text ? Because some images have quite a lot. A summary ? And then see the full text on the full sized image ?

Again, more than happy to add text if people can provide it.

Regards

Graham Plowman

--------------------
Graham Plowman

+
John Webb
post 9 May 2011, 20:22
Post #38

Railways Czar

QUOTE (Graham Plowman @ 9 May 2011, 12:12) *
Thanks John.

If you run your mouse over the images, you should see a popup window (fly-by) appear which displays all the information about an image. If you click an image, you will see it full size and the same text appears at the bottom of the picture.
Do you not see the fly-by popup ? This may be a browser issue. It works in IE.

Do you think the text should be displayed with the image and not as a fly-by ? We debated this before implementing and I don't think we agree in-house even now! If you guys think it would be better to display the text, we'll swap it around. Then again, how much text ? Because some images have quite a lot. A summary ? And then see the full text on the full sized image ?

Again, more than happy to add text if people can provide it.......

Graham - yes, I confirm the fly-by works and I think that's best for the thumb-nail pictures to save space. But in the image I used as an example, all the information that's given is that it's at Bewdley on the SVR and you took the picture on a particular date. This information does not explain why the signal is in that particular configuration at that particular place. One of the strengths of a gallery like yours is that people are able to compare different signals but need to know why there are differences to make full use of the data they can access.

I'll certainly be happy to add what I can when I can. I'll PM you with some suggestions in a few weeks.
Regards,
John

+
Graham Plowman
post 10 May 2011, 02:10
Post #39

Regional Controller

Hi John,

QUOTE (John Webb @ 10 May 2011, 06:22) *
Graham - yes, I confirm the fly-by works and I think that's best for the thumb-nail pictures to save space. But in the image I used as an example, all the information that's given is that it's at Bewdley on the SVR and you took the picture on a particular date. This information does not explain why the signal is in that particular configuration at that particular place. One of the strengths of a gallery like yours is that people are able to compare different signals but need to know why there are differences to make full use of the data they can access.

The lack of information is simply because I haven't had a chance to put it all in - I originally put these pictures up in a bit of a hurry. There are actually a number of other pictures in this part of the gallery which have yet to have any comments added - they are currently hidden.
The SVR signalling diagrams are all available on the SVR website, so I can reference these and put more descriptive info in.

QUOTE (John Webb @ 10 May 2011, 06:22) *
I'll certainly be happy to add what I can when I can. I'll PM you with some suggestions in a few weeks.
Regards,
John

Much appreciated - look forward to receiving it.

Also forgot to mention that we have a lot of signal box pictures here: http://www.mrol.com.au/Gallery_Infrastruct...7582C2322202820

The whole purpose of our gallery is to provide a resource of photos with close-up detail for modellers.

Also, (without meaning to 'tout for business') if you sign up to MROL, you get a monthly automatic digest which shows all the website changes. This includes all new photos added.

Graham Plowman

--------------------
Graham Plowman

+
Graham Plowman
post 18 May 2011, 23:18
Post #40

Regional Controller

I have given our signalling and permanent way photographic galleries a makeover, including adding captions. More is being done on an ongoing basis and there are still more photos to add. The entire gallery now has over 730 images.

Signalling Gallery: http://www.mrol.com.au/Gallery_Infrastruct...7582C2322232327

Permanent Way Gallery: http://www.mrol.com.au/Gallery_Infrastruct...7582C2322202822

Signal Box Gallery: http://www.mrol.com.au/Gallery_Infrastruct...7582C2322202820

Graham Plowman

--------------------
Graham Plowman

+
John Webb
post 29 Sep 2011, 13:12
Post #41

Railways Czar

New book: Signalboxes for the Modeller, by Michael A Vanns, 2011, Ian Allan Ltd, ISBN 978-0-7110-3501-0, price 14.99

Short review at HERE for those interested.

Regards,
John Webb

+
John Webb
post 22 Feb 2015, 14:19
Post #42

Railways Czar

Some while since any update on books in this thread. Here are a few I've acquired in the last four years.

'Trax 3' Signalling and Lever Frames by Jeff Geary, ISBN 978-1-906419-61-5, Kevin Robertson/Noodle Books, 2011, 17.50 - includes a CD ROM to assist with producing signalling diagrams and locking charts. Looks at both the prototype and modelling needs. Numerous photos of the prototype. Looks in some detail at tappet locking for model lever frames, as well as relay interlocking if you wish to avoid the mechanical frame.

Signals and Signal Boxes of Great Britain by David Hucknall, ISBN 0-7509-1322-3, Sutton Publishing, 1998 (bought 2nd-hand)
A number of black and white photos looking at the various BR Regions and subdivides each region into various lines, mostly by pre-grouping companies. Boxes predominate with occasional signals where the author still found semaphores standing in the early 1990s. Some older pictures as well. There are some omissions - notably the signals around Barnetby in Lincolnshire.

Footplate and Signals by L. F. E. Coombs, ISBN 978-1-85794-319-1, Silver Link Publishing Ltd., 2009, 17.99.
This book is subtitled "The evolution of the locomotive footplate and its relationship with railway signalling and safety" which is probably a good summary of what the author is looking at.
A lot of pictures of loco footplates and the views therefrom, including the signals. Mostly deals with the steam loco, although the last chapter looks at the views from the diesel/electric driving cab.

Signal Boxes (2nd Edition), by Michael A. Vanns, ISBN 978-0-7110-3537-9, Ian Allan Publishing Ltd., 2013, 13
A comprehensive listing of signal boxes still in existence at the time of publication, chapters on the evolution and anatomy of a signal box, the 21st century and preservation.
Well illustrated with colour and black/white photos, although being a 'pocket book' a bit smaller than A5 in size, most of the photos are relatively small.
(In the first edition, Mr Vanns was rather scathing about the state of St Albans South - but the restoration that has taken place since then comes in for fulsome praise with two photos and nearly a page of text!)

John Webb

+
John Webb
post 3 Mar 2018, 22:28
Post #43

Railways Czar

Some new books I've acquired in the last year or so:
Modelling
Modelling Signal Boxes for Railway Layouts, by Terry Booker, ISBN 978-1-78500-296-0, The Crowood Press, 2017 , price 19.99.
Excellent on the modelling side, but very slightly let down by a few misprints and several errors regarding prototype signals.

Operating Signals, points and Level Crossings, by Clive Heathcote and A Anderson, ISBN 978-1-84797-863-9, The Crowood Press, 2014, 18.99
Subtitled "A mechanical, electrical and electronic guide for railway modellers". Pretty comprehensive coverage of its subject. Good diagrams in colour which should be easy to follow. Covers the prototype as well with photos, but again very slightly let down, as the book above, by several errors regarding the prototype.
Includes a guide to components and electronic circuitry which should be particularly useful for newcomers.

Prototype
Signal Boxes and Semaphores - the Decline by Gordon D. Webster, ISBN 978-1-4456-5617-5, Amberley Publishing, Stroud, Glos., 2016, 14.99.
A review of the several hundred mechanical boxes and their signals left on the national network, plus some of the preserved boxes. Numerous colour photos of boxes, signal and trains - even all three together. Some of the boxes mentioned in this book have already gone, so a useful record document.

Resignalling Britain - all change on the network by Michael Rhodes, ISBN 978-1-909128-64-4, Mortons Media Group Ltd., 2015, 6.99
Looks at a brief history of signalling and then at various areas of the country. Similar to the Gordon Webster book above, but uses photos over a wider period of time, and also of the modern signalling set-up, including the interior of York ROC.

John Webb

+
Bear 1923
post 4 Mar 2018, 06:47
Post #44

Regional Controller

Member No.: 10,215

Some of the useful websites...

http://www.railsigns.uk/

http://www.roscalen.com/signals/

http://www.lymmobservatory.net/railways/sb.../sbdiagrams.htm

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/ - Includes accident reports

cool.gif

+
Bear 1923
post 4 Mar 2018, 14:37
Post #45

Regional Controller

Member No.: 10,215

Nearly forgot this site...

https://signalbox.org/index.php

However, be aware that the descriptions of some of the signals are not technical descriptions but the perception of the author. It is also far from complete - which is hardly surprising! - so tht is not a criticism.

cool.gif

+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2020 - 18:20