dwb
post 21 Aug 2008, 21:01
Post #31

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

taggers

I think "graffiti vandals" is a more appropriate term. In the case of this box there is no merit in what they do.

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.
Go to the top of the page

+
John Webb
post 22 Aug 2008, 19:30
Post #32

Railways Czar

Group: Members
Member No.: 144

Thanks, gentlemen, for your concern. We have, so far, had no problems with returning vandals. Various security measures are in place and being added to, which for obvious reasons I'll not make public.

The site has a 5ft high fence (Midland /// style) where it abuts the (private NR) road, and 7 ft metal fence where it abuts the railway proper. We've not found any trespassers about so far....

I'll be starting a new thread next week, I hope, on the small layout I've built to demonstrate various 'aspects' of signalling and of railway modelling.

Regards,
John Webb

+
post 26 Aug 2008, 12:32
Post #33

Chief mouser
Group Icon

Member No.: 706

Glad to hear the morons are being kept at bay.

Regards

--------------------
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever
A Penguin is for life - not just elevenses
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+
John Webb
post 14 Sep 2008, 19:39
Post #34

Railways Czar

Just a brief note to say that this weekend's 'Heritage Open Days' went amazingly well - we'd expected over 500 visitors, printed souvenir tickets for a 1000, just in case - and we had 1075 approximately!

The model railway was working and generated much interest particularly in the young visitors, as the photo shows:

The Hornby live steamer ('Flying Scotsman') had six outings each day and attracted a lot of attention from the adults and added a lovely wiff of steam and hot oil to the atmosphere in the box.

The inner oval running a 'Bubblecar' has automatic colour light signals worked by the train (reed switch under the track operating a relay to put the signal to red etc.) and the outer oval has semaphore signals, but the signalling is not yet completely installed - I need more practice on assembling MSE signals.

Regards,
John Webb

+
post 15 Sep 2008, 15:54
Post #35

Chief mouser
Group Icon

Glad it went well, over a thousand visitors must have been both satisfying and hectic.

Regards

--------------------
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+
Brian Considine
post 15 Sep 2008, 16:07
Post #36

No Longer Active.
Group Icon

Member No.: 702

Nice to hear that you had a sucessful weekend.

+
John Webb
post 1 Apr 2009, 13:10
Post #37

Railways Czar

A few more recent pictures to whet your appetites for our regular openings this year. (Details HERE.)

A view of the rear wall upstairs:

And the 'Block Shelf' has got more on it now:

Lots more pictures taken over the past three years available at http://photobox.co.uk/album/29191958 - Enjoy!

Regards,
John Webb

+
post 1 Apr 2009, 16:35
Post #38

Chief mouser
Group Icon

Excellent - I hope all goes well for the season.

Regards

--------------------
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+
dwb
post 1 Apr 2009, 17:35
Post #39

Station cat
Group Icon

What colour was used to paint the main woodwork of the box and what was the decision based on?

I ask because I'm at the painting stage of my ex LNWR model and guessed at a cream. I bought some Phoenix dull "Custard" at Ally Pally but it looked a bit too yellow. Now that I've seen your box I'm thinking it's probably ok. I have dull BR Maroon for the corner posts etc.

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
John Webb
post 1 Apr 2009, 18:27
Post #40

Railways Czar

Dear David,

The colours used externally are the Midland Railway colours the box was still painted in in the 1950s, which is what we've restored the external appearence to. The NRM told us what colours to use - but I wasn't involved in that as we had the outside done by professionals to comply with grant conditions. I'll try and find out what they were if you like.

The internal colours are based on what we found when the internal woodwork was cleaned up. The internal paint is a special 'intumescent' fire retardent paint used at the insistance of English Heritage, I was told. The nearest colours to what had been there were 'Magnolia' for the upper part of the walls and maroon for the lower part - skirtings are black. The furniture (cupboards, table and the 'locker' bench seat) have been done in a gloss 'plum' colour - we could not
easily tell what they had been painted originally.
The ceiling is white, by the way.

Regards,
John

+
dwb
post 1 Apr 2009, 18:57
Post #41

Station cat
Group Icon

Thanks for the detailed reply John. I'll go with the "BR Coach Cream (Dull)". It'll be near enough and if I weather it a bit, who'll know?

David

--------------------

+
Brian Considine
post 9 May 2009, 08:38
Post #42

No Longer Active.
Group Icon

Thanks for the latest pics John - it really does look superb.

+
John Webb
post 2 Jun 2009, 10:28
Post #43

Railways Czar

Not a great deal visible of what we've been doing, now that the major structural works are complete. Much of what we've been doing in recent months isn't very visible, like fitting microswitches to the levers so the simulator knows what position each lever is in.

Outside the box work has started to link up a signal or two:

And I've been busy renovating a 3-aspect signal head, as reported elsewhere:

Before above and more recently:

The renovated signal will be used to replicate signal 16:

This was used to switch trains from the Down Slow platform back onto the Up slow to form a passenger service back to London, and was used as an alternative to putting terminating trains into the Up slow platform. Note that the Red aspect is at the top of the signal so it is still as close to the driver's eye as possible.

Regards,
John

+
Brian Considine
post 2 Jun 2009, 11:50
Post #44

No Longer Active.
Group Icon

Nice progress John - thanks for the pictures.

Look forward to a visit sometime this year.

+
FUNGUS
post 2 Jun 2009, 11:56
Post #45

Sporting a face of Fungal Fuzz
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 3,440

I might get a chance to visit when we go to the inlaws in Welwyn Garden City.
Steve

--------------------
Steve

About to embark on a railway modelling adventure. BR blue to modern image. West coast mainline Wolverton area.

Can't wait for the weekend. I mean, come on, after Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F!

+

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th July 2020 - 02:48