Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dcc Concepts Ground Signals
Free_at _last
post 28 Nov 2017, 13:45
Post #1

Boghouse Cleaner

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,583

Looking at the Dcc Concepts ground signals I notice they are 2-wire, what method of wiring/switching is required to change the aspect. The only option I can see with two wires is reversing polarity. I can find no info on their website.
Dcc Concepts Ground Signals

--------------------
Pete.

Are you really LOL whilst typing your post, and if you are, do you need to tell us?
Gauge is spelt G A U G E , not G U A G E.
Manufacturers is spelt Manufacturers not Manufactures.
When you have purchased something you have bought it, not brought it.
Go to the top of the page

+
Sol
post 29 Nov 2017, 07:34
Post #2

Station Master
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 1,346

They do come with a control board as per the DCC concepts catalogue pages 36-37

--------------------
Ron Solly
Devan & Summersett Railway - very, very loosely based on GWR/WR/BR.
Using NCE DCC.

+
Free_at _last
post 29 Nov 2017, 08:02
Post #3

Boghouse Cleaner

QUOTE (Sol @ 29 Nov 2017, 08:34) *
They do come with a control board as per the DCC concepts catalogue pages 36-37

These come without a control board
'12x 2-wire LMS/BR Ground Signal A pack of 12 x 3-lamp plug and play signals in 4mm scale (OO), supplied with NO control board.'
'Use as add-on for Alpha Mimic control signal systems OR use independently if you wish.'

--------------------
Pete.

Are you really LOL whilst typing your post, and if you are, do you need to tell us?

+
Free_at _last
post 30 Nov 2017, 14:00
Post #4

Boghouse Cleaner

A reply from an email inquiry to Dcc Concepts gave me the answer, it was as I suspected, to reverse the polarity.

--------------------
Pete.

+
dwb
post 30 Nov 2017, 19:36
Post #5

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

Thanks for passing on the reply.

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
Richard Johnson
post 5 Dec 2017, 07:12
Post #6

Just another modeller
Group Icon

Member No.: 703

*** Yes, reverse polarity - We do not mention it on the web as the add on packs are primarily intended/sold for use with the control board :-).

The cost difference per signal with or without the board is quite low so I would strongly recommend you take them with the board (and gain full digital control for only 1.66 per signal!)

You can of course choose differently - However, DO be aware... if you buy without the control board, you will need to be careful with voltages and resistors chosen.

Of course the add-on pack is actually designed to plug into the spare low voltage sockets on the control board - if you cut off the plug you can use them directly and we are OK with that - But I'd suggest a stable low voltage DC power source + a resistor appropriate to balance things.

Unfortunately - mistakes that damage the LEDs are absolutely not warrantable :-)

regards

Richard

--------------------

Direct honest advice from DCC, DC & Modelling experts

Please do visit us at Unit E, The Sidings, BD24 9RP.... right behind Settle Station.
Ph +44 (0) 1729 821 080 or email to
[email protected]
Further customer service available online at:
https://www.dccconceptsforum.com

+
Free_at _last
post 5 Dec 2017, 18:53
Post #7

Boghouse Cleaner

Thanks for the advice, Richard.
As I only control my loco's with DCC I was looking for a manual solution to control the ground signals.

--------------------
Pete.

+
dwb
post 5 Dec 2017, 20:11
Post #8

Station cat
Group Icon

The cost difference per signal with or without the board is quite low so I would strongly recommend you take them with the board (and gain full digital control for only 1.66 per signal!)

Ah.... goes away to read Mimic manual....

Ok the way I read it, these ground control signals are "repeater" LEDs for use on the layout instead of the control panel and because they are for the layout, they have a prototypical form factor. So you install two signals per point - one left and one right. All that remains is to ensure that the DCC address of the signal pair matches the one used to control the point itself or if you have a route setting capability in your DCC command station, add the signal accessory to the route.

I'm guessing that once you have set the DCC base address for a Mimic board, the 12 outputs are numbered base + 0 to base + 11?

If my interpretation is correct then the control board is almost certainly the cheapest way to power and control these.

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
Richard Johnson
post 7 Dec 2017, 06:51
Post #9

Just another modeller
Group Icon

*** Hi David - it is indeed the best way to go - and by far the lowest cost and easiest way to connect them too..

You only need one per point if that is how you will use them - there are 12 outputs on the mimic board however there are actually TWO sockets per output.

SO -

** If the aspect is back to front, just change from one socket to the other.
** If you want one each end of a loop, you can use one signal each end by using both sockets.

There are also plug and play Y connectors and polarity changing adapters if U need them.

re addressing - whatever you set output 1 to, the others will become the next 11 for a total of 12 - ie, set 1 to 1 and the rest become 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12.

you can of course mix and match things.... the "Mimic" concept is very versatile.

regards

--------------------

Please do visit us at Unit E, The Sidings, BD24 9RP.... right behind Settle Station.
[email protected]

+
dwb
post 7 Dec 2017, 19:38
Post #10

Station cat
Group Icon

Thanks for taking the time to add that information. It confirms what I thought even if I didn't express myself all that clearly.

The concept of making the ground signals in that form to hang off the mimic system confirms your tag line "Thinking outside the square".

I have added a pack with control board to my projects list as I think working ground signals would look good in my storage yard.

David

--------------------

+
TimP
post 11 Aug 2018, 11:52
Post #11

Fireman

Member No.: 1,764

I have several packs of these - they come with a 4mm drill bit for making a hole to mount the ground signal in the baseboard - but the little connector won't fit through a 4mm hole - anyone have any bright ideas how to remove and refit the connector or is there some other trick that i am missing?

Confused of Ross-Shire

--------------------

+
Richard Johnson
post 11 Aug 2018, 13:30
Post #12

Just another modeller
Group Icon

*** Please do not try to remove the connector.

A small round file to create a slot or slightly larger drill bit will both work fine.

Sorry the bit supplied seems a little small. We wanted to keep the hole as small as possible and considered the post mainly. Our idea was modellers would widen the hole east-west leaving the smaller width to help to hold the post vertical. Perhaps we could have explained that better.

You CAN of course just use a larger bit. I do try to make it easier for modellers which is why we are the only brand who actually supplies tools with products (as far as I know anyway) - but hopefully your tool kit holds a 1/4" drill bit.

If you use a larger bit... When its in position, glue the base down with PVA or similar - the business end of a pair of pliers spread to hold the base will hold it in place until the glue dries and usinf PVA tyle glues will hold it firmly but still allow you to pop it off without damage using the end of a flat blade etc if you want to move it later

regards, Richard

--------------------

[email protected]

+
TimP
post 11 Aug 2018, 14:17
Post #13

Fireman

Thanks Richard - I'll sort something then - at least I know I am not being stupid!

--------------------

+
Bear 1923
post 13 Aug 2018, 07:52
Post #14

Regional Controller

Member No.: 10,215

smile.gif Have you considered doing the same body signal with the yellow aspect option?
I must admit that I wouldn't be getting any myself - but I suspect that it could be a simple addition to your range.
Oh - and how about providing an oval 4mm drill? rolleyes.gif
cool.gif

+
TimP
post 23 Aug 2018, 16:51
Post #15

Fireman

An oval drill not quite as mad as you think! I used a saw bit which allows you to cut a lozenge shape...

Here is the item test mounted - I think they are a little out of scale (too big) so setting them down in the cork improves the look a bit. Def best to do pre-ballasting!

and finally the shunting control panel I am working on which will control the ground signals and some rapido magnetic under track motorised uncouplers for Kadees. (not done the switches for the Rapido bits yet so no fascia fitted.

--------------------

+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th July 2020 - 02:56