> OO Gauge GWR Signals
Peter Andrews
post 26 Aug 2018, 17:20
Post #1

Cowplain
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 12,423

I have been strugling with the Ratio Junction/bracket signal kits. I am astonished as to how poor the build instructions are and have just about given up with them. Please can anyone help me to identify anywhere I can purchase 4x GWR Home junction/bracket signals from?Preferably Lower quadrant, but not essential?
Many thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+
John Webb
post 26 Aug 2018, 21:08
Post #2

Railways Czar

Group: Members
Member No.: 144

QUOTE (Peter Andrews @ 26 Aug 2018, 18:20) *
I have been strugling with the Ratio Junction/bracket signal kits. I am astonished as to how poor the build instructions are and have just about given up with them. Please can anyone help me to identify anywhere I can purchase 4x GWR Home junction/bracket signals from?Preferably Lower quadrant, but not essential?
Many thanks.

Sorry to hear you've been having problems. I'm sure that either "Railway Modeller" or the "Hornby Magazine" have done articles on using the Ratio kits, but can't find out which magazine or issues at the moment. The several books I have on making models of signals all concentrate on using metal parts rather than the Ratio kits. This may be because the Ratio signals are rather delicate and the arms rather over-thick in scale.

I am not aware of any GWR lower quadrant bracket signals available off the shelf other than some old die-cast ones you might pick up on a second hand stall at a model railway show; the ones I have seen were made by "Crescent".

It may be worth checking what ready-made signals Model Signal Engineering at www.wizardmodels.co.uk now sell - they have been doing components for some years but started selling ready-made ones at the end of 2012.

If you are modelling the GWR or BR Western Region, then lower quadrant signals are essential - there are still parts of the former GWR/BR(W) areas using them!

John

+
dwb
post 27 Aug 2018, 08:12
Post #3

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

The several books I have on making models of signals all concentrate on using metal parts rather than the Ratio kits. This may be because the Ratio signals are rather delicate and the arms rather over-thick in scale.

Whilst I am not sure about the Ratio being over scale, I would echo the other comments. I did succeed in putting together a Ratio signal kit but it was very delicate. I moved on to metal kits. The soldering required is not too difficult. The resulting signals are quite strong and resistant to the occasional brush with an arm.

When I posted photos of my first signal, I was asked to do a thread on the build process. I have managed to find that thread - https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...showtopic=21568

Since then I have built several more signals of which three are bracket signals with two posts and two or three dollies as appropriate.

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
John Webb
post 27 Aug 2018, 08:30
Post #4

Railways Czar

Member No.: 144

QUOTE (dwb @ 27 Aug 2018, 09:12) *
Whilst I am not sure about the Ratio being over scale, I would echo the other comments......
David

David - the Ratio signals are to scale except the actual thickness of the arms - of necessity I suppose due to the material they are made from, but it does spoil the look compared to a metal arm from Model Signal Engineering and the like.

Hornby do sell off the shelf Upper Quadrant bracket signals - these however are grossly overscale for 4mm/ft - they are almost correct for 7mm/ft 0 gauge!

Hornby-Dublo, before their takeover by Triang, made some very nice upper quadrant signals both manual and electrically operated. close to scale and all-metal construction. Again can be found at second-hand stalls at model railway shows, but tend to be pricey! (And again not really appropriate for a GWR layout.)

John

(Edited to add info re Hornby-Dublo signals)

+
Richard Johnson
post 28 Aug 2018, 08:53
Post #5

Just another modeller
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 703

*** The ratio signals make up OK but yes, the instructions are sometimes sparse. Scale is reasonably good in most things but arms can be an issue. The plastic signals can be quite fragile so work with care and perhaps mount so that they are not too rigid in case of slight accidental knocks...

It is easy enough to substitute a metal arm. I would also suggest using a metal counterbalance arm if you want them working (basically metal where any finer part neerds to move/take stress).

Consider using metal pins wherever/if ratio use plastic anywhere. Make sure you have fine drills and reamers so holes can be exactly right for any pinning of items. Nothing will work well without wobbles if they are oversize by even a few thou.

If you do not have fine perfectly straight brass or phosphor bronze wire then fine piano wire is excellent for links and rods (substituting for prototype cable/wire) within the signals and is available fine enough to look right while being strong enough to do a good job at many places.

RTR signals are available if you search but will be expensive.

Can you solder OK? If so, why not try one of the metal signal kits. They are actually less difficult that you may imagine as long as you take care and have a few quite basic tools.

Kind regards
Richard

QUOTE (Peter Andrews @ 27 Aug 2018, 02:20) *
Many thanks.

--------------------

Direct honest advice from DCC, DC & Modelling experts

Please do visit us at Unit E, The Sidings, BD24 9RP.... right behind Settle Station.
Ph +44 (0) 1729 821 080 or email to
[email protected]
Further customer service available online at:
https://www.dccconceptsforum.com

+
Bear 1923
post 28 Aug 2018, 08:55
Post #6

Regional Controller

Member No.: 10,215

You can get away with BR/LMR Upper Quadrant signal(s) on BR/WR territory to some extent. Shrewsbury and adjacent lines are the classic example. When territory changed ownership or were mixed territories the LMR tended to replace WR LQ signals with their own UQ designs - although they often put their UQ arms on the unaltered GWR/WR structures creating the appearance that the GWR/WR used UQ arms on some of their posts of bracket dolls. This might be getting a bit too detailed for the OP. It might be possible to fit MSC signal arms to Ratio posts/brackets???

DWB's thread looks interesting. Strangely there's no remarks from me - before my joining I suspect. There was another member made a good thread about making up metal brackets a year or two ago. Also Shaun's "Ripley" thread.

The main thing with 4mm signals seems to be to take time with the construction. It would be useful to know what the exact problems encountered by the OP were. Details about problems are just as useful as successful "how to". If nothing else "problems" described can help others avoid them.

Naturally I'm interested to know what the signalling plan is that requires this collection of signals...

One thing to note - when looked at from the front (red side of blades) the lamp casing on a LQ signal is on the right of the post while on an UQ signal the lamp casing is on the left of the post - this applies to standard arms and aspects... GWR/WR SB signals are exceptions to this practice.

cool.gif

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2020 - 18:21