Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

entry 19 Nov 2008, 17:19
Christmas 1974 and a Hornby R534 Local Goods Set: that's how it started for me, at the age of eight. An 0-4-0 tank loco, a flat wagon with detachable boat, a Cadbury's closed van, a circle of track, and a battery-powered controller.
Attached Image

With the extension of the circle to an oval, the addition of a couple of sidings, some Superquick models in the middle forming a village, and some rather crude papier mache embankments, my first "layout" was born, and it gave me many years of enjoyment.
Attached Image
Attached Image

I didn't know, or care about, prototypical modelling or timetabled operation back then - most of the "action" on my layout involved crashed Dinky Eagle freighters (from Space:1999) leaving flasks of nuclear waste on the line in the path of the oncoming train.

Attached Image

My locomotive stud was bolstered the next year with the addition of an R758 "Hymek", which hauled one lonely blue and grey BR Mk2.
Attached Image

The Hymek cost an awful lot of pocket money back in 1975. My party piece at the time was being able to reel off the phrase " B B Beyer Peacock type 3 Hymek diesel hydraulic locomotive" without drawing breath. I think I chose it simply because I liked the look of it - I'm not sure if would ever have seen a real one. Living a stone's throw from the London to Brighton line near Three Bridges sidings in Sussex, most of the trains I saw were third rail passenger EMUs hurtling through the rather dangerous pedestrian crossing at Maidenbower in Tilgate forest.
I was also given some Lima models by a friend of my dad's, which to my shame I think I was rather sniffy about at the time, they not being Hornby and therefore not "kosher" in my eyes. I believe I had a red HO gauge Lima loco - an SNCF model of some sort - and a long car transporter wagon with some brightly coloured plastic cars. I also recall an old plastic Tri-ang station building with canopy, a footbridge, and a plastic kit gods shed with a small blue crane at one end which I managed to get poly cement all over. Happy days indeed.

Anyway, my interests moved on to football, then heavy metal (a lifelong passion); I eventually left for university, and the childhood train set was dismantled and made the inevitable journey into the loft.

« Next Oldest · B B Beyer · Next Newest »

SMTWTFS