Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

entry 23 Dec 2013, 22:53
Hi All
Well its been quite a while since i updated this thread and sad to say as far as this layout in its current form is concerned ,its the end of the line..
It didnt quite get finished for a number of reasons,ill health been one,but main one is because of a possible house move.In its current form ive never been really satisfied with my track plan,so instead of digging my self into a deeper hole,ive bit the bullet and decided to dismantle it and start again. I could run it as a roundy,or out and back but the next one will be a end to end and more prototypical.

I will probably keep first two board but making them separate instead of been hinged .A third board will either have a fiddle yard or turntable.This will hopefuly allow me to continue with it in that form when and if i move.I could place this end board at 90 to layout to save on length. So it all three boards will form a L shape.

Here is a link to some final photos i took.If you open photo up ive got bit better explanation to some of sequence.
Visit Castle Bolton layout Album

Ive still got a few projects to carry on with,one been my old boxfile layout Stooperdale,
Attached Image

which i wrote about on another site,but am in process of making extra cargo and revamping a bit as its going to its/my first exhibition May next year.Ill prob blog it here when i can.

Tel

edited to correct some link txt

entry 15 Apr 2012, 20:38
Over the last couple of weeks we have been building up some scalescene low relief arches. We had to make them a little taller by adding a wall along bottom, to accommodate hiding the return loop at back of board. It took us a little longer than anticipated ,glad had the wife aboard to help,i did the cutting she did most of the covering.I printed the textured sheets onto A4 seld adhesive lables.The tunnel that goes through one of them will be for a road which will be dead ended with a suitable back scene inserted, to give a sense of a road going some where.

Attached Image

Station area

I had a little problem with sagging of my platform tops ,they had foam core sides and cardboard tops. I replaced them with some suitability thick wood i had to hand, the cardboard for the tops.

Ignore the black road surface in photo, its just some off cuts of black paper i had to hand to get a impression of how the road width and look will turn out. There will be level crossing at this point too.

With the fitting of new platforms, i finally got to get the station building fastened in place. I glues a block of wood inside and drill / screwed from under board. This will enable me to remove it to finish inside and lighting. Still needs canopy supports fitted and some of the painting done.

Attached Image

Goods shed
The goods shed i wasn’t going to use but looking at it in the photos ,it doesn’t look to bad. Its a adapted superquick goods shed recovered in scalescene building papers. Needs some more work to complete but may do that now and keep it on layout .

Last thing managed to do today was start finishing the ballasting off, got the platform area done, but restricted time wise because of drying times, guess one of draw backs having it in a bedroom, small price to pay,as only place i could put layout for now.
Until next time ...
Tel

entry 8 Mar 2012, 20:53

This week we have managed to get a bit of scenic work done to end board which contains the engine shed and turntable.

Attached Image

View of Turntable board with scenery started

In this shot we have just tried board back in place to enable to do a bit on the track infill's.I roughly ballasted it,once dry ,coated with pva glue then pushed in air dry clay ,carefuly keeping it off inside of tracks, followed by tampering it down with a stiff brush.I will paint it and may add some ask from BQ which i kept. This will be mainly around ash pit will paint mix darker ash on the rear track which will contain coaling stage or tower.

The greeny on hills and grass banks still to finish on some you can see undercoat of hanging basket material .Once dryed backing will be teased off,some done, some can be seen in photo still to do.Got static grasses and other ground cover still to add,aswell as end sky back ground.

The hill is in two parts,top piece,and bottom bit with retaining walls and tunnel.This is so can fold away without fouling. Once removed they store verticaly on rear non scenic board,held in place with velco straps.

Its an amazing how adding a bit of groundcover transform the look.From bare board to landscape in a week smile.gif

Hopefully can get the time to do more next week.

Tel

entry 25 Feb 2012, 15:40
Here are a couple of photos to show progress made this week.

Attached Image

Managed to finish off the control panel earlier in the week,i used word to to produce the mimic diagram,then lanimated it befor punching holes out with punch.It was then attached to ply base with double sided tape.The holes then drilled through.

Attached Image

Already got a station cat but think a little over scale biggrin.gif
Soxs is into everything.although working with glue ,paint or solder iron he evicted from room tongue.gif

Attached Image

I decided to move backscene board back a little to make a bit better hill over tunnel,the board is detachable anyway on the turntable board so it can fold away.The hills also removable.This is where we have just made up card formers, Its been covered with paper machie now and im just waiting for that to dry.Its looking quite good thanks to my better halfs help

Tel

entry 24 Feb 2012, 22:50
Hello all
​ I've been wanting to have a continuous run for quite a while but space or rather lack of as curtailed plans till now.
what i have ended up with is a baseboard with a total length of thirteen and a half feet by four,would have loved it to be a bit wider but width limited by where it has to be stored.Between two wardrobes.

Only the front threeboards will be scenic,the rest hidden with a fiddle yard and return loop.

Not much got done over the summer with other things getting in way,but finaly got a train running, and even though a good few joints across boards there has not been any problems yet with the electrics Ive altered track a little from how i first had it and moved turntable a bit further back.You may notice the difference in some of the resent photos when i add them.

Anyway a picture can paint a thousand words so to speak so here are a few to explain how its assembled.

Tel

Attached Image

Layout in folded away position with doors closed.The doors have shelf's on outside .

Attached Image

Here is earlier shots of layout in stored position,the chain was for safety until i got the doors made and on.First job is lifting end turntable board out,its on the left in picture.

Attached Image

next job is unfold a trestle and fasten these wood ' beams' across the bed,they are held in position with back flap hinges with removable pins.ive colour coded these.

Attached Image

The main board can now be lowered,it runs on small rollers, fasterned to removableboard with handle.

Attached Image

Close up of rollers

Attached Image

Boards down ,lifting handle removed,end turntable board unfolded and attached.Its locates with dowels and held in place with back flap hinges as well.

Attached Image

This is the rear board which lowers down and sits on its own leg and also fastened to beam with back flap hinge

Attached Image

Close up of leg with adjustable foot. Made with hole in leg holding a captive nut and i used a hole cutter to make foot.

Lastly which i still need a photo of is the connecting board between these two rear boards,which is a four track fiddel yard siting on draw runners which inturn locate onto dowels.
When all is in place i have a compete oval of track.

The electrical connections consist of two twenty five way pugs which fit into control board which hangs on front of layout by means of a pair of flush mounts.

The layout will be a fictitious preserved branch line, so i can run a variety of different stock a good few quite old and belonging to my late father.

Ive named the layout Castle Bolton, having had a lovely dayout with my wife at the castle last year, there's no railway there, just taken the name.although my model may end up with a hint of a castle in background if i can manage it.

Since the above photos taken ive made some more headway,turntable built/installed,platforms build,building made but to place,engine shed made,also to place.This week ive completed the control panel and made a start on some of the scenery. waiting as i write for the paper-mache to go off.So some more updates soon.

Tel

SMTWTFS

Search My Blog

Search My Blog

My Picture

My Picture