Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

entry 2 Nov 2014, 13:01
Our 2013 summer holiday was based on Germany's "Romantische strasse" which runs from Fussen on the Austrian border to Wurzburg. There are many walled towns along the route containing colourful and interesting buildings. Nordlingen is one such town. It is one of only three towns in Germany with a complete set of walls. The other two towns - Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Dinkelsbuhl - are also on this road.

Parking inside a walled town is always a trickly proposition so we followed the parking signs on the approach road and found ourselves at a multistorey car park by the town station. What we did not expect to find once we had parked was the sight of many locomotives and carriages from a previous era on the far side of the station. This turned out to be the Bayerisches Eisenbahnmuseum. We did not have time to visit but I took some photos to remind us to do so the next time we might be passing through.

Some photos were taken on our arrival. The sun was directly behind the museum so the photos are not brilliant. The photos taken later when we returned to the car are much better. I don't know much about German railways, so I will refrain from embarrassing myself with inaccurate captions.

« Next Oldest · dwb's Blog · Next Newest »

Comments

post 2 Nov 2014, 21:30
Comment #1

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 570

Some nice locos there David. I think that's the area I'd like to head to next trip.

Cheers

Neil

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
dwb
post 15 Dec 2019, 17:53
Comment #2

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

In the summer of 2019 we returned to Nordlingen to visit this museum. We parked in the station multi storey car park. As it was the weekend there were plenty of spaces and the charge was modest. The museum is on the other side of the mainline so it's a reasonable walk to get there. The far side of the railway is residential and it's clear from the numerous banners and flags hanging from the houses they do not like their railway museum neighbours. The general gist of it is - "No more dirty smelly locomotives here". There were no locomotives in steam the day we were there but some videos I have seen suggest that the coal burnt in German steamers produces much dirtier smoke than that used in England.

There is a lot to see at the museum but not surprisingly all the information is in German. I was struck by just how large the locos were, particularly the 2-10-0s. There's a smoke box door standing in the yard on the way in and it's at least six feet in diameter. The sheer size of the locos and the fact that they are mostly in the round house means it's very difficult to get good photos with a 'holiday' zoom lens.

The museum site is split by the mainline. Access to the far side appears to be by negotiation with the museum volunteers. A flavour of what is stored there can be seen in this photo taken from the station car park.

A very nicely turned out BR 64 in the main viewing area.

One of the many 2-10-0s in the museum. Seeing these up close made me realise why the sandboxes are on top of the boilers. The running plates are too high to be reached from ground level so sand boxes there would be difficult to fill. At least when they are on top they can be fed from above.

And finally a BR 151. Some of these are still in service for the Lokomotion company on the Brenner Pass.

I think we spent an hour or so looking around. Then we went into the town itself which like many German towns in the summer months was in festive mood.

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.
Go to the top of the page

« Next Oldest · dwb's Blog · Next Newest »