Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A bit surprised !
Jack Rouse
post 29 Dec 2014, 10:11
Post #1

Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,373

For Christmas I was gifted the 2015 Hornby yearbook.

I found this small tome quite useful, especially the part on building the layout, however I was slightly surprised to find that a lot of the infrastructure was not Hornby, in fact the track was Peco !

Why is is that a layout being built for Hornby, openly used a competitors track, this is surely saying that even Hornby don't consider their track good enough for their own layout, and people wonder why the company is struggling !

--------------------
For what it's worth this aspiring railway modeller has a blog

http://www.grahamswonderfulrailway.co.uk/ you're welcome to visit !

I also have a forum for Man Utd Fans

Man Utd Lounge
Go to the top of the page

+
pauliebanger
post 29 Dec 2014, 11:34
Post #2

Engine Driver

Member No.: 4,994

QUOTE (Jack Rouse @ 29 Dec 2014, 10:11) *
For Christmas I was gifted the 2015 Hornby yearbook.

I found this small tome quite useful, especially the part on building the layout, however I was slightly surprised to find that a lot of the infrastructure was not Hornby, in fact the track was Peco !

Why is is that a layout being built for Hornby, openly used a competitors track, this is surely saying that even Hornby don't consider their track good enough for their own layout, and people wonder why the company is struggling !

It's really quite simple.

The book you like is the Hornby Magazine Yearbook, an independent publication from Key Publishing having no direct connection with Hornby Models.

As such, Hornby Magazine is not tied to Hornby Models' products. It features models and accessories from all manufacturers and many different scales. Previous HM layouts have featured exclusively Hornby track and DCC control equipment, so the use of Peco track, in this example, may simply be a personal preference or of availability. These track systems are compatible with each other.

The Yearbook reflects those same unfettered principles.

Maybe you would find a subscription to Hornby Magazine both entertaining and enlightening too?. Ha Ha!

Kind regards,

Paul

+
railstimulator
post 29 Dec 2014, 14:55
Post #3

Station Master

Member No.: 2,903

Hornby don't make electro-frog points. The layout used electro frogs. As the meerkat syas simples.

+
Jack Rouse
post 29 Dec 2014, 16:33
Post #4

Fireman

QUOTE (railstimulator @ 29 Dec 2014, 14:55) *
Hornby don't make electro-frog points. The layout used electro frogs. As the meerkat syas simples.

True but they do sell the converters to get around the problem.

I would also question the suggestion that Hornby magazine has nothing to do with Hornby models, as it uses the company logo, there has to be some commercial agreement between the publishers and Hornby.

It just seems weird that a magazine supposedly produced to extoll the virtues of Hornby, blatantly uses a competitors products.

It's like Manchester United magazine having an article on how great a manger Jose Mourinho is compared to Louis van Gaal !

--------------------

Man Utd Lounge

+
Julian2011
post 29 Dec 2014, 17:09
Post #5

C55

Member No.: 9,766

QUOTE (Jack Rouse @ 29 Dec 2014, 16:33) *

I wasn't aware that Hornby points could be converted ....... unless you are referring to the little clips which give an improved electrical bond between the Stock rails and the Switching rails?

A "Conversion" would mean replacing the Frog for a Conducting one and possibly some means of switching the polarity. Are you saying I have missed something here?

Regards

J

--------------------

+
pauliebanger
post 29 Dec 2014, 17:17
Post #6

Engine Driver

Member No.: 4,994

I would also question the suggestion that Hornby magazine has nothing to do with Hornby models, as it uses the company logo, there has to be some commercial agreement between the publishers and Hornby.

It just seems weird that a magazine supposedly produced to extoll the virtues of Hornby, blatantly uses a competitors products.

It's like Manchester United magazine having an article on how great a manger Jose Mourinho is compared to Louis van Gaal !

Wow, I see what you mean.

Amazing that no one else has noticed

+
Jack Rouse
post 29 Dec 2014, 21:58
Post #7

Fireman

QUOTE (Julian2011 @ 29 Dec 2014, 17:09) *
I wasn't aware that Hornby points could be converted ....... unless you are referring to the little clips which give an improved electrical bond between the Stock rails and the Switching rails?

A "Conversion" would mean replacing the Frog for a Conducting one and possibly some means of switching the polarity. Are you saying I have missed something here?

Regards

J

Yes those little clips get round the problems of using Hornby insulfrogs, and work a treat, so there isn't a reason to use a competitors points.

--------------------

Man Utd Lounge

+
Jack Rouse
post 29 Dec 2014, 21:59
Post #8

Fireman

QUOTE (pauliebanger @ 29 Dec 2014, 17:17) *
Wow, I see what you mean.

Amazing that no one else has noticed

I get the feeling I am supposed to detect a touch cynicism tongue.gif

--------------------

Man Utd Lounge

+
Julian2011
post 30 Dec 2014, 00:09
Post #9

C55

Member No.: 9,766

QUOTE (Jack Rouse @ 29 Dec 2014, 21:58) *
Yes those little clips get round the problems of using Hornby insulfrogs, and work a treat, so there isn't a reason to use a competitors points.

I rather thought the point of Electro-frogs was to provide power to the Frog - a touch difficult when they are plastic, Hornby ones. The point [pun intended] about insulfrog is that they are plastic and do not provide power as the Loco passes over it. The clips you seem to refer to, provide improved power connection to the Point rails but not the Frog - I am at a loss to see quite how the clips provide Switched Power to the Frog - unless you have some insight - I have missed and undeclared by Peco.

Regards

J

--------------------

+
Dinwiddy
post 6 Jan 2015, 16:27
Post #10

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 1,926

A plastic frog is always a plastic frog and doesn't carry electricity even when the clips are used it just means they are no longer an ISOLATING point but that all the metal rails are permanently live. Peco LIVE FROG points have a metal frog where the diverging rails join together. This means that electrical contact is improved with any loco going over it, but does need insulating rail joiners on these rails to prevent a short circuit.

+
Pennine MC
post 6 Jan 2015, 18:31
Post #11

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 840

QUOTE (pauliebanger @ 29 Dec 2014, 11:34) *
It's really quite simple.

The book you like is the Hornby Magazine Yearbook, an independent publication from Key Publishing having no direct connection with Hornby Models.

It is simple Paul, once you know, but tbh you can't blame folk for making the assumption. It's happened since day 1 and I fully expect to be seeing it come up for a few more years.

(my bold) It isn't though. See above biggrin.gif

It's my understanding that the name was used at the suggestion (read: insistence) of a certain newstrade retailing chain.

--------------------
Ian Fleming

Windcutter - wagonry, weathering and wittering

Hal o' the Wynd - philosophy, punditry and politics in the high-rolling world of toy trains

Stuartp: there was very little serious attempt to think outside a 17'6" long box.

Story of my (modelling) life :-)

+
Iarnrod
post 7 Jan 2015, 09:35
Post #12

Station Master

Member No.: 11,966

Must admit when I bought my first copy of Hornby Magazine when first getting back into the hobby (I was going round the usual suspects trying to find a publication which suited me) I was pleasantly surprised to see it did cover other manufacturers!

--------------------
It might look like a train set to you but it gives The Small Controller & me a lot of pleasure!

My Railway

"I don't want to spend all my time messing about with microscopic wheel and track adjustments. I want to make models, models of all kinds of things" - JH Ahern

+
sarah
post 11 Jan 2015, 19:58
Post #13

Station Master

Member No.: 4,244

When originally published by Ian Allan (who sold a lot of magazine titles to Key Publishing, who used to be mainly Air orientated!) it was said to be a magazine to mainly cover BR steam and early diesel eras (and mainy OO I think).

Things do change!

The title was chosen to appeal to the then "target" market, and of course had to have the agreement of Hornby Hobbies.

Hornby have also licensed the name and logos they have (including Hornby-Dublo!) for some ranges of Stationery (NOT Stationary! wink.gif ) including storage boxes, jigsaws, notepads, etc. etc. I hope Hornby makes a few pennies from these agreements....

I seem to remember reading somewher, either in the magazine or on here, something about the relationship being Name and Logo licensing only, but obviously Hornby Hobbies have suppied the Magazine with items and sponsored some layouts.....

--------------------

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th July 2020 - 15:07