Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DCC/Smoke question for Paul Chetter
Don Mason
post 3 Oct 2012, 15:50
Post #1

Guard

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,955

I originally posted this in the 'DCC' section of the forum but I don't think many saw it as I only got one reply which didn't really help much.

Perhaps Paul (as it concerns Zimo sound decoders) or someone else at Hornby magazine may be able to assist, especially as it's a topic being covered quite freuently in recent issues? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

I wonder whether anyone with experience of fitting smoke units to DCC (Zimo) powered locos can help me?

I am planning to try smoke for the first time and need some advice as to which would be the most appropriate unit to buy, as I find the arious web sites (seuthe, Gaugemaster, DCC upplies, etc) a bit confusing on the subject, with things like 'for prepared locos', 'for Marklin type locos', etc.

What I have is an Ixion 'O' Gauge Manning Wardle 0-4-0 .......(NOT the new Hudswell Clarke currently in the spotlight). This is the previous 'Manning Wardle' which they did on a limited run basis in all over black, lined blue or plain brass. For the record mine's a blue one. It is a very small industrial loco, so realistically, we are talking HO/OO-type generators - not the bigger 'O' Scale ones.

This loco is all brass construction with a 24mm tall chimney (just - smokebox top to top rim of chimney), and with a total free length of about 40mm from chimney top to the bottom of smokebox. There is 6mm clear diameter inside the chimney.

I plan to hook this up to the loco's sound decoder which is a 'Zimo' 645.

The Seuthe generators appear to be rated at different voltages (which I am not at all sure about with DCC) and they come in different styles and lengths. It seems I could accommoate either a 'type 2' or a type 3'.

Can anyone suggest the most appropriate generator to buy for this loco? I would be most grateful for any assistance.

- Don Mason

Go to the top of the page

+
Makemineadouble
post 3 Oct 2012, 17:23
Post #2

Minister of Transport

Group: Members
Member No.: 203

As the chimney is brass you should have no problems, a no 22 should fit your chimney like a home sick mole. If it's a trifle on the loose side you could use a turn or two of resin soaked news paper. The no 22 even a no 21 would do the same thing as in German it says for metal bodied loco's. the no 22 has a plastic sheath between the tube of the smoke unit and the chimney.

Your track voltage I assume is between 10 -16 volts and that covers most Ho/narrow gauge DCC at max it could draw 125ma. Although I have no experience of Zimo decoders and their smoke unit qualities. You'll probably have better luck obtaining a no 22 as they are more common. Beware the wires from the smoke unit are quite brittle and need care when hanging up to your decoder.

cool.gif cool.gif
Go to the top of the page

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th August 2020 - 08:47