John Webb
post 23 Jun 2020, 10:22
Post #3496

Railways Czar

Group: Members
Member No.: 144

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 23 Jun 2020, 08:46) *
yesterday's Viaduct was the Ainloole Viaduct in Northumberland

Noted. The viaduct I went for seemed to be to one that fitted the print, but most of the photos on the Geograph website refer to it as 'Viaduct over the River Aln', some refer to 'Alnmouth Viaduct' and one refers to it as 'Lesbury Viaduct' after the nearby village. Looking for 'Ainloole' on railway atlases, on the OS maps and on the Geograph site brought nothing up.

I have a problem with this one as I don't knnw where it is, this is a BR Carriage print

I've had no joy either. Looked through several of the books I've got on church buildings and was able to eliminate 30+ cathedrals and priories. Was left with another dozen or so which I've checked against the Geograph website without success. I'll carry on looking; the answer I'm sure lies with the distinctive tower.

John
Go to the top of the page

+
John Webb
post 23 Jun 2020, 12:50
Post #3497

Railways Czar

I have a problem with this one as I don't knnw where it is, this is a BR Carriage print

Solved from a photo in the fifth book I looked in. We're in Norwich. The church is St Peter Mancroft, reputedly 'the largest parish church in the country' according to one photographer - a claim I've heard made for others as well. Best match is a ground-level view, this one of very recent origin, being taken a month ago:
The Sir Garnet

© Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
The top of the church tower and the nave are just visible. The market stalls are in 'lockdown' due to the Covid-19 situation. The building with the bay windows at first floor level is the pub - its full name is The Sir Garnet Wolseley. The shop to the left - visible in the print but not in sight in the photo - is called 'Little Langleys' and was established 1883 according to another photographer. It's not clear if this is still a tea-shop or not.

I've visited Norwich several times and must admit I might have twigged the location from the stripped awnings of the market stalls in the print, a feature of Norwich's market for many decades. Anyway, we got there in the end!

John

+
Makemineadouble
post 24 Jun 2020, 05:31
Post #3498

Minister of Transport

Member No.: 203

well solved John,

+
John Webb
post 24 Jun 2020, 08:00
Post #3499

Railways Czar

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 24 Jun 2020, 06:31) *
well solved John,

This is at Gorleston-on Sea, just south of Yarmouth. Nearest I could find:
Looking towards the river mouth at Great Yarmouth

© Copyright Ian S and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Many buildings in the print still visible, plus some additional items in the background where by the time of this photo Great Yarmouth had extended its port facilities. The elliptical pond on the right is a model boating pond.

Gorleston had a railway line that ran from Yarmouth down to Lowestoft but this was lost in 1970 under the last of the Beeching Axe cuts. Part of the trackbed has been reused as a town centre bypass, and there is now no trace of the station.

John

+
Makemineadouble
post 25 Jun 2020, 07:14
Post #3500

Minister of Transport

this one could prove difficult if it wasn't labled

+
Alun Kimber
post 25 Jun 2020, 08:03
Post #3501

The not-fat-but-certainly-could-lose-a-little-weight Controller

Member No.: 13,145

How about this one in Ufford?
Shame about the skip!
Sorry if I'm not playing properly.............
Cheers
Alun

+
John Webb
post 25 Jun 2020, 08:39
Post #3502

Railways Czar

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 25 Jun 2020, 08:14) *
this one could prove difficult if it wasn't labled

Best match:
Looking down Church Lane in Ufford

© Copyright Robert Edwards and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
No one has got the wide-angle view of the print. The two cottages on the left of the photo are the only buildings in Church Lane which are not listed! Makes me wonder if they are a late C19 or early C20 addition after the print was made. The cottage to the left of the print is Grade II listed and the church is Grade I listed - see https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-...t-entry/1030273 for the very lengthy details of the exterior and interior of the building. The interior is noted for the remarkable woodwork, in particular one of the largest font covers in the country, seen on the centre right of this photo in its raised position:
In Ufford Church

© Copyright tristan forward and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

The white objects by the churchyard entrance in the print (but hidden by a car in the first photo!) are the preserved village stocks and whipping post:
Stocks by the churchyard gate at St Mary's, Ufford

© Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

John

+
John Webb
post 25 Jun 2020, 11:32
Post #3503

Railways Czar

QUOTE (Alun Kimber @ 25 Jun 2020, 09:03) *
How about this one in Ufford?
Shame about the skip!
Sorry if I'm not playing properly.............
Cheers
Alun

Alun - I didn't see your post as I was busy sorting out my reply at the time. The photo you linked to was obviously taken from a closer position than mine, is a good match but still misses out the listed cottage on the left of the print. Definitely a location I'd like to visit with my wide-angle lens to see how close I could get to the print!

Ufford is close to the railway line from Ipswich through Saxmundham to Lowestoft. Melton station, still open, seems to be the nearest to it.

John

+
Alun Kimber
post 25 Jun 2020, 17:42
Post #3504

The not-fat-but-certainly-could-lose-a-little-weight Controller

Member No.: 13,145

Thanks John. And happy hunting with your camera in tow - Dr Google says the cottage is still there.........(maybe that's obvious if it's listed) - I think I'll leave this to the professionals........
Cheers
Alun

+
Makemineadouble
post 26 Jun 2020, 07:30
Post #3505

Minister of Transport

This one is apparently Great Northern

+
John Webb
post 26 Jun 2020, 08:13
Post #3506

Railways Czar

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 26 Jun 2020, 08:30) *
This one is apparently Great Northern

I think the faint date on the left is 1840 and the title on the right reads "Old station at Derby, North Midlands Railway". The print ties in with C Hamilton Ellis's description in his 1966 book "The Midland Railway" as having "...its three-span roof, covering goods station, carriage sidings and the single passenger platform..." but goes on to say it "...was swept away at a time remote from now." Unfortunately the earliest maps I could find on the National Library of Scotland's website date from 1880 onwards and only show the present station and the adjacent railway works, so I can't say exactly where the station in the print was located. Neither does it seem to have been photographed, so no photo today.

The North Midland Railway, together with the Midland Counties Railway and the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway were amalgamated in 1844 to form the Midland Railway.

John

+
Makemineadouble
post 27 Jun 2020, 07:34
Post #3507

Minister of Transport

something easy for the weekend

+
John Webb
post 27 Jun 2020, 08:54
Post #3508

Railways Czar

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 27 Jun 2020, 08:34) *

something easy for the weekend

An interesting juxtaposition since it was the demolition of the Doric arch in the lower print that triggered John Betjeman and others to oppose the potential closure/demolition of St Pancras as featured in the upper print.

St Pancras with a busy Euston Road:
St Pancras Station

© Copyright N Chadwick and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

The Doric Arch:
Doric Arch at Euston; demolition begins

© Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

And bits of it:
Fragments of the former Doric Arch on display at Euston

© Copyright Christopher Hilton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

John

+
John Webb
post 27 Jun 2020, 16:59
Post #3509

Railways Czar

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 25 Jun 2020, 08:14) *

Some additional information - the artist was Leonard Russell Squirrell and the print was in use 1945-55.
(Just found this website: https://www.travellingartgallery.com/landsc...page/index.html which may help identifying any prints MMD hasn't got a location for!)

John

+
Makemineadouble
post 29 Jun 2020, 05:31
Post #3510

Minister of Transport

+

239 Pages V  « < 232 233 234 235 236 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
8 User(s) are reading this topic (6 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
2 Members: John Webb, Julian2011

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th August 2020 - 08:15