Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coopercraft GWR W1/W5 Cattle Van
Graham Plowman
post 27 Mar 2020, 04:23
Post #1

Regional Controller

Group: Members
Member No.: 869

I understand that the GWR cattle vans as portrayed by the Coopercraft kit and the Slaters 7mm kit survived into BR days.

To that end, I am planning on making up my 4mm scale cattle wagon fleet with a few Coopercraft kits.
I understand that they were painted in BR Bauxite brown, however, can anyone please point me in the direction of good pictures and dates and anything about how they were numbered and lettered ?

Paul Bartlett's website appears to only show the more modern BR cattle vans which were based on the earlier GWR van.

Thankyou

--------------------
Graham Plowman
(British outline 00 - NCE PH PRO-R, Lenz 100 - DCC Sound and computer controlled signalling/interlocking of Ashprington Road with SSI software)
Go to the top of the page

+
34C
post 27 Mar 2020, 09:13
Post #2

In depth idiot

Member No.: 1,818

Not a clue if they cover WR as well, but surely someone there will know about how it was once the greatness had departed?

http://www.gwr.org.uk/

+
Graham Plowman
post 28 Mar 2020, 01:13
Post #3

Regional Controller

Thanks 34C, I'll give that a go.
Also managed to find the old gwr-elist which has now migrated to groups.io so I'll give that a go too.

--------------------
Graham Plowman
(British outline 00 - NCE PH PRO-R, Lenz 100 - DCC Sound and computer controlled signalling/interlocking of Ashprington Road with SSI software)

+
21C1
post 29 Mar 2020, 10:27
Post #4

Ticket Collector

Member No.: 323

If you havent got the kits already, dont bother to order them from Coopercraft, they will either take an age to appear or not at all. I have kits on order from 2 years ago which never arrived. I never got a refund either.

+
Ben Alder
post 5 Apr 2020, 19:48
Post #5

Ticket Collector

Member No.: 2,240

They pop up on ebay from time to time - that's about your only bet.Can the Airfix one be modified in to a passable GW version?

--------------------
Ben Alder

+
Graham Plowman
post 6 Apr 2020, 05:00
Post #6

Regional Controller

I've actually got a couple of Coopercraft kits from years ago - I purchased them in the MKI coach at Minehead's bufferstops which was the WSR 'shop' at the time. This was when the kits pretty much first became available in the early 1980's - happy memories of the Scout camp I managed to escape from at nearby Bicknoller to get to the WSR - the week that Charles and Dianna got married!

The present scenario is actually Slaters 7mm kits of the same wagon, I have two of them.

The Airfix kit (or which I have a few from my 00 days) would struggle to match this Slaters model...

Even in gwr.org.uk there seems to be no knowledge on these wagons. I have approached the NRM and HMRS.

--------------------
Graham Plowman

+
kristopher1805
post 6 Apr 2020, 16:03
Post #7

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 8,315

The Dundas kit is quite a long van with a central cabin for attendant herders? So my question is as to whether this is anything similar? to either the long lasting early version or the lesser lasting newer version?

+
Graham Plowman
post 7 Apr 2020, 01:25
Post #8

Regional Controller

QUOTE (kristopher1805 @ 7 Apr 2020, 02:03) *
The Dundas kit is quite a long van with a central cabin for attendant herders? So my question is as to whether this is anything similar? to either the long lasting early version or the lesser lasting newer version?

I think you are referring to:

https://peco-uk.com/products/gwr-beetle-prize-cattle-wagon-2

whereas I am referring to:

https://slatersplastikard.com/linePage.php?code=7054

Very different vehicles!

--------------------
Graham Plowman

+
kristopher1805
post 7 Apr 2020, 08:49
Post #9

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 8,315

Thanks for that Graham, yes indeed.

+
kingjim
post 29 Jun 2020, 14:48
Post #10

Fireman

Member No.: 6,235

Hi,I used dapol GW cattle wagons very nice kit had to modify for fitting spring loaded buffers kdee couplings and fitted different transfers. turned out very nice ,Jim

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th August 2020 - 20:49