Reply to this topicStart new topic
> travel Posters
Makemineadouble
post 7 Jul 2020, 05:21
Post #3526

Minister of Transport

Group: Members
Member No.: 203

its certainly a wonderful panorama of our railway history.

Today effort is Caledonian

Go to the top of the page

+
John Webb
post 7 Jul 2020, 08:23
Post #3527

Railways Czar

Member No.: 144

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 7 Jul 2020, 06:21) *
its certainly a wonderful panorama of our railway history.

Today effort is Caledonian

This is a BR-commissioned print from 1956, a watercolour by Kenneth Steele of the Falls at Invermoriston, in the Great Glen. My nearest match:
Bridges of Invermoriston

© Copyright Iain Marshall and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

The near bridge is a 1930s-built one replacing the narrower 1813 bridge seen in the distance; the latter was built by Thomas Telford. The falls occur shortly before the River Moriston enters Lock Ness about 5.5 miles from the SW end of the Loch at Fort Augustus.

Fort Augustus was the nearest any railway reached today's location. It was the end of a branch built by local businessmen from Spean Bridge. It opened in 1903 but was a financial flop and was closed to passengers in 1933. It saw a rise in freight during WW2 in connection with timber extraction, but completely closed at the start of 1947. A short extension to a steamer pier at the end of Loch Ness, opened also in 1903 had an even shorter life, closing in 1906! The builders had hoped that it would be the start of a railway all the way up the side of Lock Ness to Inverness, but that never happened. See http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/f/fort_...tus/index.shtml for the full details.

John

+
Makemineadouble
post 8 Jul 2020, 05:24
Post #3528

Minister of Transport

that book of yours is proving useful !

+
John Webb
post 8 Jul 2020, 08:38
Post #3529

Railways Czar

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 8 Jul 2020, 06:24) *
that book of yours is proving useful !

It's actually the website https://www.travellingartgallery.com/landsc...page/index.html which I found a week or so ago I'm looking up for assistance. They have published books in the past but they are currently out of print, alas.

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 8 Jul 2020, 06:24) *

Watercolour by Gyrth Russell, used 1948-1955. We're looking upstream towards the Lendal Bridge from the Ouse bridge. Nearest match:
Upstream from Ouse Bridge

© Copyright DS Pugh and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
How on earth they were allowed to replace the small-scale industrial buildings with the monstrosity on the left - a hotel that's been through numerous name-changes - I do not know!
The strange tall building on the left of the print seems to have gone in the redevelopment of the area. It is visible in a few pre-WWII aerial views. I've no idea what it was used for; a look at old OS maps on the National Library of Scotland website indicate it may have either been part of Rowntree's original works or a "Horse and Carriage Repository"!

John

+
John Webb
post 8 Jul 2020, 09:53
Post #3530

Railways Czar

QUOTE (John Webb @ 8 Jul 2020, 09:38) *
The strange tall building on the left of the print seems to have gone in the redevelopment of the area. It is visible in a few pre-WWII aerial views. I've no idea what it was used for; a look at old OS maps on the National Library of Scotland website indicate it may have either been part of Rowntree's original works or a "Horse and Carriage Repository"!

John

A further look at aerial views show the tall building on the left of the print was Rowntree's original works before they moved out of the city centre.

John

+
Makemineadouble
post 9 Jul 2020, 06:43
Post #3531

Minister of Transport

Midland Railway

+
John Webb
post 9 Jul 2020, 07:54
Post #3532

Railways Czar

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 9 Jul 2020, 07:43) *
Midland Railway

Print is in watercolour and ink; by Kenneth Steel* in 1951. Subject is Wolverton Viaduct, built 1838 for the London and Birmingham Railway, which later amalgamated with others to become the LNWR. Not many photos on the Geograph website, and only this one which shows the majority of the viaduct:
Wolverton Viaduct

© Copyright Mr Biz and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
There are 6 arches, each of 60ft length, and span the River Great Ouse and its valley.

About a mile away an older form of mass transport also has to cross the river:
Wolverton Iron Trunk Aqueduct

© Copyright Richard Croft and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Built 1811 for the then Grand Junction Canal to replace a total of 9 locks which dropped the canal to the level of the Ouse and then the canal crossed it on the level - but boats were held up from time to time by the Ouse flooding and this led to the eventual construction of the aqueduct.

John

*Correct spelling - I gave him an incorrect extra 'e' to his surname in my post of the 7th July!

+
Makemineadouble
post 10 Jul 2020, 05:39
Post #3533

Minister of Transport

Location unknown. LNER

+
John Webb
post 10 Jul 2020, 07:47
Post #3534

Railways Czar

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 10 Jul 2020, 06:39) *
Location unknown. LNER

I've visited this (even have the fridge magnet!) so am able to identify it as Castle Acre Priory in Norfolk:
Daffodils at Castle Acre Priory

© Copyright Richard Humphrey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
We're looking at the remains of the west end of the church and the partly restored Prior's lodging house. All in the care these days of English Heritage.

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 10 Jul 2020, 06:39) *

This could have been either LNWR or Midland Railway or LMS as it's much closer to home - St Albans Abbey seen across Verulamium Park:
St. Albans: lake with cathedral view

© Copyright Chris Downer and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Although tree growth hides much of the abbey as seen in the print.

John

+
Makemineadouble
post 11 Jul 2020, 07:57
Post #3535

Minister of Transport

Very well known Somerset Village

+
John Webb
post 11 Jul 2020, 08:17
Post #3536

Railways Czar

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 11 Jul 2020, 08:57) *
Very well known Somerset Village

We're across the border into Devon with this one, actually. Only one photo out of 50+ which comes anywhere near the view in this painting:
Dunsford : Village Lane

© Copyright Lewis Clarke and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Taken, it seems, from near the end of the cottage left centre of painting. Majority of the photos of this village seem to be taken from the churchyard looking in the opposite direction. I've no information about the painting or the artist.

John

+
Makemineadouble
post Yesterday, 05:36 AM
Post #3537

Minister of Transport

Actually its where Boris senior lives I think (lovely village) Dunsford

+
John Webb
post Yesterday, 08:12 AM
Post #3538

Railways Czar

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 13 Jul 2020, 06:36) *
Actually its where Boris senior lives I think (lovely village) Dunsford

A print from a watercolour by Leonard Russell Squirrell and used 1948-55. Not easy to find a match. The painting seems to have been done from the south side of Brightlingsea Creek from a place called 'Point Clear' looking across to Brightlingsea on the north side. But maps and a very few photos show there are no boat yards to give the painting's view - possibly destroyed in the 1953 'Great Flood' and never replaced?
Best I can do is this aerial view:
Brightlingsea and Point Clear

© Copyright terry joyce and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

We had a poster for Brightlingsea some month or three ago, but that was a view taken from the railway just to the west of the town. Railway closed 1964.

John

+
Makemineadouble
post Today, 06:29 AM
Post #3539

Minister of Transport

I have no idea of the location of these two but they are probably GWR. Not much to go on.

+

236 Pages V  « < 234 235 236
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: enM

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th July 2020 - 07:03