Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Putzi's Ultralayout, European N Scale & megalomania at the Planning Office
Putzi
post 3 Jan 2010, 21:43
Post #1

Fahrdienstleiterin

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,585

I open my layout thread with warm wishes to all for 2010.

This is the layout (probably nearly - please ignore all the loose grey track!):

I went on and on about planning it on this thread if you're feeling bored.

Anyway, to business:

Thursday 31 December 2009 - contruction begins. Two large holes were made in the old fibreboard base left over from the previous occupant's OO scale layout, two because it was prefered to only saw through two primary supports rather than three!! This diagram shows how I plan to strengthen the fibreboard around the holes when some wood is procured.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+
Putzi
post 3 Jan 2010, 22:00
Post #2

Fahrdienstleiterin

Saturday 2 January 2010 - Track laying begins from the top left corner of the top recess where there is a bank of points. This seemed a good place to start because it would give a easy start for the flexitracks of the storage yard (Schattenbahnhof 1) and the sloping ceiling of the recess is an absolute pain to work under. Progress was slow because of the physical contortions required to access the corner to swing a cat hammer but the result is quite pleasing - the track plan fits the space! Quite amazing really given how the tape measure normally likes to play tricks (you know, measure twice and...get two different readings and a headache!).

Track is laid onto cork cut to fit and recycled from the old layout. Although it is better to glue the track without pins / joiners etc. for quieter running the space was just too fiddly to work in so pins were used instead. The decades old "tracksetta" templates bought from ebay should be useful in getting some reasonable alignment.

Before starting construction, the trackplan was plotted roughly onto the fibreboard, but it was then realised that using the cork obscures it completely! The plan was therefore traced onto greaseproof paper as contruction moved along and overlaid onto the cork.

--------------------

+
frame69
post 3 Jan 2010, 22:07
Post #3

Company Chairman

Member No.: 4,745

Wow,looks rather thought out and proper...same methods I use unsure.gif
I should get into the habit of planning but Im too inpatient.
Good luck.
Frame.

--------------------
Have a nice day......Andy.

+
neil_s_wood
post 3 Jan 2010, 22:12
Post #4

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 570

Wow, that looks like it's going to be a pretty formidable layout. Look forward to seeing it develop.

By the way why the name change?

cheers

Neil

--------------------

+
Putzi
post 3 Jan 2010, 22:14
Post #5

Fahrdienstleiterin

Sunday 3 January 2010 - Track laying continues in Schattenbahnhof 1, reaching the opposite corner and requiring the installation of another trillion sets of points! It is once again very fiddly to work under the low ceiling but this is probably the worst corner of the layout to work in (and the second access hole is painfully triangular) so it makes sense to do it first.

A pair of nice Roco FS Eurofima coaches are used to test clearance on the corners and also because of their smooth and free running wheels are used to measure the Clickety-Clack Coefficient (CCC) of each fishplate join in the trackwork, the noisy ones being adjusted with either some fine abrasive paper or a large hammer.

Wiring, in the storage yard at least, is soldered directly to the underside of the track and run through holes into the dark underworld below, as per standard practice! From the pictures you may see that the pointwork is raised slightly by strips of cardboard in order to allow a slightly better attachment of the Peco PL-11 alongside motors as apparently recommended by Peco.

Thanks for the comments Frame and Neil. I've spent so long planning that it feels super to just get stuck in. I'm no longer an "armchair pundit"!

--------------------

+
Doug
post 4 Jan 2010, 08:28
Post #6

DT

Member No.: 2

Is this up in a loft?

Looks like a great project. Have fun.

--------------------

+
madon37s
post 4 Jan 2010, 09:31
Post #7

Regional Controller

From: Shrewsbury, Shropshire ( where the sun always shines!)
Member No.: 3,956

Hi Putzi

One word really "WOW" your layout plan looks fantastic, I am looking forward to seeing this project grow thumbsup.gif

Kind regards

Paul

--------------------
Kind regards

Paul

Best day of my life = Getting married to Sue my wife. Second best day! = Riding behind 37429 in Regional Railways livery thrashing away on the North Wales Coast line.

+
post 4 Jan 2010, 09:40
Post #8

Station Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 197

Fantastic Putzi! How about starting an MRF blog?

+
chrismac
post 4 Jan 2010, 10:06
Post #9

Engine Driver
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 4,534

This is one I will follow with great interest.

Chris

+
Putzi
post 5 Jan 2010, 00:06
Post #10

Fahrdienstleiterin

QUOTE (Doug @ 4 Jan 2010, 08:28) *
Is this up in a loft? Looks like a great project. Have fun.

Thanks Doug. It is in the loft/attic, but fortunately it is only at the very extremes where the roof is low and so this will only affect the storage yard.

Thanks for your kind words Paul, 60134 and Chris. I thought a blog might be a bit out of the way compared to a thread where people can dive in and comment and it can be seen, perhaps one day the Forum software will show blog updates amongst the new posts when "View New Post" is clicked, although perhaps this can be done already? I am doing the Putzi log (Plog) in parallel on my website Eurofima Prima! (or just click on scampering Putzi below). Alas it's already running behind this thread!

--------------------

+
post 5 Jan 2010, 09:55
Post #11

Station Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 197

Great stuff, keep us posted then!

+
post 5 Jan 2010, 13:34
Post #12

Chief mouser
Group Icon

Member No.: 706

Great stuff Putzi, I look forward to more updates.

Regards

--------------------
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever
A Penguin is for life - not just elevenses
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+
Putzi
post 6 Jan 2010, 18:22
Post #13

Fahrdienstleiterin

Wednesday 6 January 2010 - Just a quick update to show that yet more track has been laid in the main storage yard. It's repetitive work but essential of course, the picture was taken so that one can be convinced that progress has been made. Other evidence is the fast emptying box of track, and to be honest hammering down the rebelious flexitrack and put an end to its squirming is rather enjoyable. This code 80 track is very slippery and quite happy to move a few millimetres when the track pin is almost completely down.

With the imminent opening of the code 55 track box it is wondered if the embedding of the track will make it more cooperative. The straight "tracksetta" has been very useful even if mostly ignored by the track!

Fortunately the masterplan is holding up in the face of the geometric constraints of reality without any excessively tight curves!

I promise I won't post again until there is more to show!

--------------------

+
chrismac
post 6 Jan 2010, 19:06
Post #14

Engine Driver
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 4,534

I envy your rate of progress although I have been beta testing the next release of iTrain over the past 5 weeks so that counts as modelling time.
The code 55 will be more controllable.

Chris

+
Tom Fernley
post 6 Jan 2010, 22:57
Post #15

Fireman

Member No.: 4,587

Great Work, happy new year to you too!

*must buy plywood, must buy plywood, must buy plywood, must buy plywood, must buy plywood, must buy plywood, ......*

Cheers,

Tom

+

17 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2020 - 15:52