> Arboretum Valley, New Layout
trainsntrees
post 20 Mar 2011, 19:48
Post #1

Destroyer of Penguins

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,095

Hi

Now the baseboards are almost finished, I thought I would see if I can share some photos:

An overall view to show perpective. On the left you can see mark 3 tables. I was not happy with these so they had go:

So on to mark 4:

Lets see if this works

Regards

TNT

--------------------
Regards

Kal

Arboretum Valley

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

A pat on the back, is sometimes the reconnaissance for a knife, be careful out there!

E&OE
Go to the top of the page

+
Mike Pyers
post 20 Mar 2011, 21:06
Post #2

The black and white cat
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 3,674

Hi TNT, nice carpentry skills you have, one observation no holes in the cross beams for your cable runs. From past experience it`s best to drill them in before laying the base boards on.
Regards Mike

--------------------
Life in a blue suit!

+
trainsntrees
post 20 Mar 2011, 21:15
Post #3

Destroyer of Penguins

Hi

Thanks, planning to put 14mm holes between each cell.

As to good carpentry, not so much, but its got better, this is mark 4 and nearly 12 months into it lol. You should see mark one it was horrible.

regards TNT

--------------------
Regards

Kal

Arboretum Valley

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

A pat on the back, is sometimes the reconnaissance for a knife, be careful out there!

E&OE

+
Sir Dubalot
post 20 Mar 2011, 22:01
Post #4

Noob, but I try my best...........

Member No.: 8,314

Impressive work, and the boards are some size too, Ill look forward to seeing the track going down an your layout progressing.

--------------------

+
dwb
post 20 Mar 2011, 22:22
Post #5

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

That's a great looking space you have there and free and unencumbered too.

Nice carpentry too by the way thumbsup.gif

I look forward to see how you fill the space with a railway.

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
frame69
post 21 Mar 2011, 09:33
Post #6

Company Chairman

Member No.: 4,745

Nice work.

Frame.

--------------------
Have a nice day......Andy.

+
trainsntrees
post 21 Mar 2011, 20:45
Post #7

Destroyer of Penguins

Thank-you for your kind comments.

A few more pictures:

First a couple that show what I had to do before I got a room I could work in.

The last of the left hand main tables about to go in:

The plan such as it is:

My wife who i call lu , have a go at making her own trees: I think they look ok, she is much more artistic then me smile.gif

And I gotta put at least one train in here, others to follow when I finally get them back out of their boxes

Regards

TNT

--------------------
Regards

Kal

Arboretum Valley

E&OE

+
silky_jack
post 22 Mar 2011, 16:05
Post #8

Station Master

Member No.: 8,080

WOW! That is going to be one massive layout!

--------------------

+
trainsntrees
post 22 Mar 2011, 17:25
Post #9

Destroyer of Penguins

Hi
Yes and a little daunting.

I really hate the space wasted in modern buildings namely the loft. I always said if I was going to build a house, I would have a room in the loft.

Well not a new house, but when we were doing an extension and at the same time the existing roof needed repairs, i just said to myself put your money where your mouth is.

And actually in the scheme of the extension adding the specially made joists only added a small amount to the overall cost.

So, some good luck out some bad luck.

Lets hope that I can actually use it in something that actually looks ok though sad.gif

My ambition sometimes far outweighs my capabilities.

Regards

TNT

--------------------
Regards

Kal

Arboretum Valley

E&OE

+
frame69
post 22 Mar 2011, 17:43
Post #10

Company Chairman

Member No.: 4,745

QUOTE (trainsntrees @ 22 Mar 2011, 17:25) *
Lets hope that I can actually use it in something that actually looks ok though sad.gif

My ambition sometimes far outweighs my capabilities.

This can be said for many who start building scale models. The great thing about posting pictures on here is that there is more than one person looking at your work in a constructive way and therefore can bring up any possible 'sticky' areas you may not notice yourself. Great work so far and tell the missus that those trees are looking great.

Cheers,Frame.

--------------------
Have a nice day......Andy.

+
Mike Pyers
post 22 Mar 2011, 18:09
Post #11

The black and white cat
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 3,674

Hi TNT
Have to agree with you about the loft space being converted into a proper room. It`s something I would like to do to my loft but lack of funds means that it would never happen. Still I enjoy my trips up to loft, scraping knees and banging heads aside it`s enjoyable
Regards Mike

--------------------
Life in a blue suit!

+
Solway Firth
post 22 Mar 2011, 18:36
Post #12

Fireman

Member No.: 8,649

Nice stuff Redtop, look forward to seeing some locos running etc! Don't rush though - next week will be fine.

I'm not jealous of the room - I reckon half the fun is trying not to bang my head on something and having to crawl on all fours to get to the end of my storage loops! However, it looks a fine job - far better than mine.

One suggestion - don't drill holes for wires, they are never big enough and a pain in the backside at times! The other risk is drilling through for a tree (or whatever) and going through a few cables at the same time! I have some comb trunking for the "complex" areas and use cable ties stapled to the frame elsewhere. I leave the ties fairly loose until I'm sure all the cables are in place (and then find I've missed something).

Nice trees too - they look as good as any I've seen in the shops etc!

--------------------
John (I always forget add my name!)

+
trainsntrees
post 22 Mar 2011, 18:43
Post #13

Destroyer of Penguins

Hi
Thanks, not thought about that. Yep clipping and spirrals seem a good idea.

Lu will be well chuffed about the trees its here first try, but she keeps pinching all my cable !! wink.gif

She has been experimenting with a few other stuff, waterfalls and beach scenes, ill try and post some later.

Gonna have to take a trip to Blackpool and get some photos for backscenes of the beach, havent worked out how they join them all together though, will have to learn photshop or something.
regards

Kal

--------------------
Regards

Kal

Arboretum Valley

E&OE

+
trainsntrees
post 29 Mar 2011, 10:43
Post #14

Destroyer of Penguins

Hi

So all the tables are finished, now I am just arranging all of the elevations and different levels for the trackbed scenery.

I have decided to use the Streamline 100 in unseen areas and lay new 75 from here on in.

A few things have now come to the fore which I am having difficulty deciding on.

The plan now is to take 4 tracks in a tailchaser around the room twice in a molested figure of 8, i.e it goes around once at ground level amd then once a level 1 before coming back to the main station.

Where I am undecided is , should I run the two express(fast lines) in between the two branch(slow) lines so all up traffic is nearside and all down offside, like the peterborough to kings x lines or should I run the two express lines side by side and the two branchlines the other side of the 10 foot?

Second question is whether it will look odd if I do the express lines in concrete sleepers with branchlines in wood?

I need to think this through before I go an buy loads of track.

Regards Kal

--------------------
Regards

Kal

Arboretum Valley

E&OE

+
trainsntrees
post 29 Mar 2011, 22:04
Post #15

Destroyer of Penguins

Hi

Some new photos of my aaagh !! going too slow layout.

Well as you can see got a final ish idea of what I want and set about the boards with a saw

Working out my curves and overpass, wish I could actually use that dang winrail i bought, but no! for me it's see it! do it! i am afrai i'm, too impatient to wait to learn a darn programme, i will be finished before i work out how to use it.

Here you can see where the main station will be on level 1 to the back , the tracks to the foreground is the second half of the figure 8 at level zero

A Few trains

Regards

Kal

--------------------
Regards

Kal

Arboretum Valley

E&OE

+

34 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2020 - 08:01