Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Guidelines
63 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Resurrection!, Re-starting a layout that has been dormant for 25 years...
Iarnrod
post 3 Mar 2012, 19:31
Post #1

Station Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,966

After some kind guidance on the tips and tricks forum I thought I might stick up some pictures of my layout, which is a pretty blank canvas! This is a fold-down number, built by my Father who is an ex Western Region Civil Engineer and pretty mean carpenter.

We started on it not that long before I went to secondary school, but by the time I was old enough & skilled enough to make anything of it other things in life had taken over, like exams and playing sport. Fast forward nearly thirty years and there is a new small boy about the house.

He has been aware that there is a railway about the place somewhere, but until he reached five I thought he would be a bit little to appreciate it. As it happens he is far more grown up an gentle than I thought and also has some big ideas about what should go on the layout (seaside over here, Daddy, station there and so on...)

Anyway, here we go with a resurrected set which is a complete work in progress! First of all views of what was there:

Then time to start building. My ScaleScenes habit is becoming pretty expensive & the rather snotty woman in the local art shop has been transformed into a best friend because of the quantity of card & other materials I've been buying:

And then starting to put it all together:

Not forgetting who it's all for!

Sorry they all came out so small...

--------------------
It might look like a train set to you but it gives The Small Controller & me a lot of pleasure!

My Railway

"I don't want to spend all my time messing about with microscopic wheel and track adjustments. I want to make models, models of all kinds of things" - JH Ahern
Go to the top of the page

+
Rhiwderin_Ray
post 3 Mar 2012, 20:37
Post #2

Regional Controller

Member No.: 11,355

Well done! I'm a Scalescenes man myself!

--------------------
Regards
Ray

See some of my builds at "Ray's Building Site" https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...showtopic=20857 at "On My Workbench" section of this forum.

My new layout BELMONT
https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...showtopic=21976

"Knowledge is of no value unless shared with others"

+
Iarnrod
post 3 Mar 2012, 23:05
Post #3

Station Master

Thanks, Ray. Scalescenes were brought to my attention on a completely unrelated message board & were the spur to start work again. Your hints & tips thread was invaluable when I started making the buildings.

Next purchase will be the signal box. I think I'm going to splash out on the etched windows/lever frame as well. I've also found some chimney pots as well to finish off what I've been making.

Glad to say The Small Controller is delighted with it all!

--------------------
It might look like a train set to you but it gives The Small Controller & me a lot of pleasure!

My Railway

"I don't want to spend all my time messing about with microscopic wheel and track adjustments. I want to make models, models of all kinds of things" - JH Ahern

+
Alfaz-di-pi
post 3 Mar 2012, 23:54
Post #4

Footplate Inspector

Member No.: 9,515

You have certainly been busy and it is coming along nicely. I see the trin operator is enjoying it as well. ow come we never had anything as well done (layout) as we do for them now.

Albert.

+
Iarnrod
post 4 Mar 2012, 09:14
Post #5

Station Master

I'm just grateful Dad could take the time out from designing real railways, bridges & so on to make the model for me, Albert! I did start scratch building stuff, but as I say School took over especially as it was a two-hour round-trip away and we had Saturday School as well.

I've only had the opportunity to do what I have been as I've been on "gardening leave" from a job. I'm going to be researching here for a ballasting method which will survive the layout being folded up but fear that I may need to take all the track up and lay a new baseboard as it is currently on some rather battered plasterboard.

Anyway, as you noticed The Small Controller really loves it. He's very competitive & is always racing around so I was gladdened no end that he doesn't try and make the trains go too fast. He also loves the names of the wagons, with Crocodile being a favourite!

--------------------

My Railway

+
Alfaz-di-pi
post 4 Mar 2012, 14:14
Post #6

Footplate Inspector

Member No.: 9,515

I have noticed that the "young " operators of today, do not seem to go all that fast. It may have something to do with there being a good sized layout, rather than a single round loop which was what I had in my "young years". My grandson has a tendency to be always altering the control, I think for something to do, rather than for speed.

Albert.

+
Cpt Cheddar
post 15 Mar 2012, 21:36
Post #7

Guard

Member No.: 10,149

Looking nice - buildings in particular are light years ahead of mine!

Is that your final trackplan? Some of the curves look a little tight to me, the loading guage of your stock could cause problems unless you plan carefully. Learn from my mistakes!

Stuart

+
post 16 Mar 2012, 00:19
Post #8

Chief mouser
Group Icon

Member No.: 706

QUOTE (Alfaz-di-pi @ 4 Mar 2012, 14:14) *
I have noticed that the "young " operators of today, do not seem to go all that fast.

Unless they're known as "Gremlin" biggrin.gif

Regards

--------------------
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever
A Penguin is for life - not just elevenses
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+
traingeekboy
post 17 Mar 2012, 17:38
Post #9

Engine Driver

Member No.: 7,836

Yeah the pictures of your son are awful cute. I had to show them to Sara as well. I don't look that cute with my trains anymore. he he

+
Iarnrod
post 17 Mar 2012, 18:53
Post #10

Station Master

Thanks for everyone's kind comments. It's been a whole load of fun! I will be keeping the track plan as it is as this is a train set more than a model railway & the curves do work with all the rolling stock I own. When it comes down to it The Small Controller loves it...

Unfortunately my H&M Duette is currently banjaxed as the cut out switch seems to be hypersensitive. We also have family over from the Antipodes so the room will be needed and railway operations cease for a while.

Some pics of recent building work:

From a freebie download, sorry can't remember where. It's a nice little kit! I have the Brassmasters window & lever frame on order so I can build the Scalescenes one too.

A Railway Scenics freebie WIP. I adapted it a bit to allow for the doors to be modelled as open - the walls as specified would be thick enough for an air-raid shelter. As seen here t's a low-rent Batcave.

The finished article. Now to find some hooky DVD players or a miniature Pirelli calendar for inside!

A couple of views of what I think will be the final mainline station layout:

Station Master's house to be completed (chimneys, wall coping etc) when I've sourced some furniture for the interiors!

--------------------

My Railway

+
Iarnrod
post 24 Aug 2012, 22:16
Post #11

Station Master

Not a lot of progress. Good weather & a Duette controller which has been playing up (although Richard at ABC models assures me it's OK & my locos are probably to blame - he's coming round to check this) mean The Small Controller (TSC) & I haven't had the railway out.

Work has also militated against any further building works until the past week when my Beloved & TSC went away for a summer holiday treat leaving me with some free time in the evenings. Here we go with what I've done:

Inspired by a trip to the North Norfolk Railway I got to work on the Scalescenes signal box with Brassmasters frets. Thanks to the users here who helped by explaining about preparing the brass:

This is a tricky beggar. I managed to get the white inactive levers the wrong way round, so the turps will be coming out. Once I've had a swig I'll repaint:

At the end of day one of proper building I'd got here:

And by the end of day two here:

This post has been edited by Iarnrod: 24 Aug 2012, 22:33

--------------------

My Railway

+
Iarnrod
post 25 Aug 2012, 08:39
Post #12

Station Master

Not sure what is happening here - can't seem to edit post above. My Sister was visiting last night & suddenly decided she needed a lot of bandwidth & crashed the wif-fi!

Anyway, here's the end of day two on the box:

And to of the Station house with interiors after another member here kindly reminded me of a source of furniture:

A bit of touching i to do & then I can get the roof on, although that does seem a pity. May have to look at illumination...

--------------------

My Railway

+
spurno
post 25 Aug 2012, 18:53
Post #13

Station Master
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 8,916

very impressive.it will be a shame to put the roof on.

--------------------
Regards

Alan

+
Iarnrod
post 26 Aug 2012, 21:11
Post #14

Station Master

Thanks, spurno.

Anyway, sitting outside my favourite pub today I thought it could be modelled:

Here's what I've made of it so far:

This could take some time!

--------------------

My Railway

+
Iarnrod
post 27 Aug 2012, 20:01
Post #15

Station Master

Rear vew of what I'm building:

What I've made of it:

What the front looks like. I need to put a roof on the porch:

Sadly ran out of Evostik at this point so had to go & talk to family/eat dinner!

--------------------

My Railway

+

63 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th August 2020 - 01:11