Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Memory Lane, Continuing My Fathers Work
Grifter_Guru
post 21 Jul 2012, 00:21
Post #1

Station Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,003

Firstly, I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the great work of my father on building this layout from the baseboards up. His work was always well thought out, with a view to practicality over beauty. This layout was no exception. After completing the basic build, he set about detailing it with many features. Initially, it was a two track main line, with a small station complex. Later, a Motive Power Depot was added, Followed by two bay platforms in the station complex and three sidings to the north side of the layout. Just as he reached the stage of final detaling he passed away, never having finished his work.

As this layout was his final project in life, I believed that it should remain within the family and to this end I took upon myself the task of continuing my fathers work with the aim of not only bringing it to fruition but also expanding on it a little. The layout would thus become something we had both had involvement with, even though a few items installed were passed onto him from my own stock and the layout remain a solid reminder of not only the good times we had, but of the fun, laughter and much, much more that we had shared in life over the last twenty five years. My only ''worry'' is if I can live up to his standards of workmanship and quality.

The layout was originally built in a garage on "L" brackets cantilevered from the wall. Given this, the overall size is fair at 14 feet long and 8 feet wide. Having to dismantle the layout from this first home for transport will allow a number of things to happen. One of those is remedial work to a known issue with one curve radius, the others are to allow for a small expansion to the end sections, an addition of carriage sidings, expansion of the MPD and other detail works to be carried out.

One area in which I hold an interest is DCC and whilst this layout will remain DC operated as intended and built, I have opted to include the option of connecting a DCC controller unit, by integrating a "Dual Control" system, adding of course, the neccessary DCC equipment and power-bus ring. Other intended works include the interlocking of signals to points, thus lending more authenticity to the working. Although this is a suggestion that was not looked upon favourably when previously mentioned to my father, I feel it adds a certain "authenticity".

Some of these inclusions would never have graced the layout in my fathers time, yet what better way to comlement his work than to add another dimension to it with interlocked signals and points amongst the other planned additions?

I Would also like to extend thanks to those members of this forum who were forthcoming with advice on separating the layout in the best way. This help and advice was much appreciated and enabled the layout to be dismantled carefully for rebuild with as little damage as possible.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

A New beginning?

With the layout currently being dismantled, I can finally appreciate the finer details that my father so carefully installed. Since the layout is to be relocated to a larger space and an addition of four feet has to be included to each end section, so opportunity has been taken to make amendments as well as additions to the track layout.

The following photo's have been seen in a prior thread but are shown again here, to give a visual description of the layout as it stood on the day my father passed away and just prior to the start of careful dismantling.

My hope is that he will be looking down upon the layout as it is not only dismantled, but moved to it's new home and on the work being continued with the new sections being added.

The main task at hand before dismantling the layoutwas to take stock (Literally) of the stock.

My father had a unique mind when collecting his locomotive fleet and as such they are mainly of those types he either "spotted", "Appreciated" or liked.

With a total of around 40 locomotives, this layout will always be able to run a fresh look, especially given my own sizeable collection that can be run too.

--------------------
Instructions ? WHAT?!?!?! A man don't need instructions! Oh............wait a minute...........................What's this bit for?
Vita imitatur artem imitantur vitae
How to Post Images From Flickr
Memorylane: The Website
Memory Lane: Continuing My Fathers Work
Signalling Memory Lane - The Detailed discussion Topic Q&A + Going Loopy with points
ViTrains: Class 37 "How-To"
How to Install OSX Mojave on X220 & T420
Go to the top of the page

+
Grifter_Guru
post 21 Jul 2012, 00:21
Post #2

Station Master

The task at hand, the dismantling of the layout in readiness for transport, is now underway. If we were talking locomotives and shed codes, it would be a transfer from 15B to 30A.

Much preparation has been completed, the main task being to carefully split the electrical feeds prior to the removal of each section, not to mention caculating where best to cut the layout to make sections that are not only easy to handle, but leave as little remedial work and joining as possible.

So far, as of today, The Viaduct has been removed as has the north west to east section and sidings, inclusive of the east corner section with the church.

The photographs below show the progress attained during today (19/July/2012). Each cut was carefully calculated to allow easy rebuilding whilst also keeping continuity in the wiring with each feed wire split and connected to matched terminal blocks. This will help later on when a full re-wiring will be undertaken and tracing wires will be so much easier.

Whilst emotionally the task has not been easy nor will it be even after dismantling is complete, it is one that must be completed. Practically however, I have all the necessary skills. Skills taught by my father over a period of years.

The below photographs show the progress so far. The remainder will be separated and lowered shortly.

Preparing to remove the viaduct section, I decided to crack out the dremel with a slitting disc. A few strokes later the rails were split, the sections removed.

With the rails removed, out came the scraper (steel rule) to clear a path through the ballast and flocks.

After the viaduct was removed..... Note the support at the west end of the viaduct.

A couple of photo's prior to removing the last section of the north sidings and south east corner

With the exception of the viaduct rails being sliced, all other rails were split by slicing through the fishplates and lifting complete track sections and points to clear the line of cutting. It looks harsher than it is, but with complete sections lifted, it is only fishplates that will need replacing smile.gif

The truncated south east to south west lines.

Another look at that support for the west end of the viaduct lines.

Finally, an overall shot after competing work for the day.

The Viaduct section and the first section of the North Sidings after removal

The removed sections carefully stacked ready to be moved to "South"

Whilst having had to lift certain points, it will allow the replacement of those that are worn at the V of the crossing.

The layout is also DC with "Cab control" of sorts, so if I decide replace points with electro-frog points, I will end up with a long lasting headache.

--------------------
Instructions ? WHAT?!?!?! A man don't need instructions! Oh............wait a minute...........................What's this bit for?
Signalling Memory Lane - The Detailed discussion Topic Q&A + Going Loopy with points

+
Chinahand
post 21 Jul 2012, 02:00
Post #3

Railways Czar
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 2,410

Some nice steady progress there Grifter and I can only imagine the emotional turmoil you must be going through. Keep us posted of your progress.

--------------------
Regards,
Trevor

See my
Market Havering Blog

+
Grifter_Guru
post 21 Jul 2012, 02:17
Post #4

Station Master

Slow and steady, with plenty of thought and care going into the work. It was the way I was taught to do things. The worst part for me is that I am using my fathers tools to dismantle the layout, with the exception of my new Butane soldering iron.

"A job worth doing is worth doing right"... A.Whitmill

--------------------

+
frame69
post 21 Jul 2012, 05:37
Post #5

Company Chairman

Member No.: 4,745

An obviously difficult task for anyone to undertake especially using the same tools. No doubt lots of memories came flooding back during the dismantling process.
Take care and enjoy the work.
Kind regards,Frame.

--------------------
Have a nice day......Andy.

+
Brian Considine
post 21 Jul 2012, 05:43
Post #6

No Longer Active.
Group Icon

Member No.: 702

A diffecult task, but you are doing it very well indeed, I'm sure your late father would approve.

Thanks for the reports & photo's & please keep the progress reports coming.

Personally, & I'm sure many others will agree I'm glad you decided to retain the layout & relocate it.

+
Grifter_Guru
post 21 Jul 2012, 06:38
Post #7

Station Master

Thanks frame, Brian. smile.gif

TBH, there was never a doubt in my mind as to the fate of the layout. I made it clear that I would be taking it on right from the beginning.

As to updates, It will be a week or two until I go back and finish dismantling the layout. In that time I have to design & build a series of cabinets that it will be sitting on once the move is made. not a lot, but at 14 feet long per side (of several units), I'm going to be rather busy.

My front room will be rattling to the sound of model trains as well as the sound drifting over from the local suburban line. In the midst of that, I have a plentiful choice of Steam DVD's to watch and a library of roughly 100 railway related books to read.

The best part being that I have SWMBO's approval.

HEAVEN smile.gif

--------------------

+
Long funnel ...
post 21 Jul 2012, 07:59
Post #8

Longfunnelled&tiresome

Member No.: 10,630

A most interesting and emotionally moving post. Thank you for taking the time to compose it.
Your dad must have been a pretty hardy as well as a very industrious guy: it would have been really cold in that uninsulated garage on occasions.

It is going to be fascinating to see how you assimilate the layout: fitting it into its new home and continue adapting it. Your interest in DCC for example - will there be a separate DCC system e.g. like the LNER and the the LMS were separate in the 30A area?

Best of luck with the project.

LF&T

+
Guest_jim s-w_*
post 21 Jul 2012, 09:55
Post #9

Guests

What a great project - superb!

Jim

+
Grifter_Guru
post 21 Jul 2012, 10:33
Post #10

Station Master

From you Jim, that is high praise indeed! thank you.

--------------------

+
PAPPA.B
post 21 Jul 2012, 17:35
Post #11

Engine Driver
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,959

Hi Grifter What an inspirational thread. Your Fathers layout looks fantastic i must say it looks in really good condition being stored in a concrete garage with no insulation how long has it been there i did not see when he started it

+
Grifter_Guru
post 21 Jul 2012, 17:52
Post #12

Station Master

A couple more photographs from Thursday that didn't quite "make the cut" for my original posts.

Preparations for removal of the MPD section. Note the lifting of points and the intentional slicing of the link rail between the MPD points and main line junction points.

This should give a rough idea of the track layout before removal of rail and point-work

A couple of Detail Shots

The Hot Seat Controls........

And the wiring that makes it all work. Spaghetti anyone? lmfao.gif

A lonely light engine, Princess Royal Class locomotive No. 46208 Princess Helena Victoria, stands silently at platform 5 after completing a slow circuit of the layout and then observing a one minute silence in memory of my late father.

@ PAPPA.B...... The layout was started in 2006. The carpet is a nice comfort and so is the free circulation of air, even with the doors closed.

--------------------

+
spurno
post 21 Jul 2012, 17:53
Post #13

Station Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,916

hi Grifter
good luck with your project.i'm sure your father would approve whatever you do.i will follow your progress with interest.

--------------------
Regards

Alan

+
PAPPA.B
post 21 Jul 2012, 17:55
Post #14

Engine Driver
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,959

Whoops i don't know what happened there i didn't finnish. I was going to say it's great that you are carring it on and hope you will continue to share your progress with us. Your father i'm sure would be pleased it that you are keeping it going. Cheers Jim.

+
Ian Everitt
post 21 Jul 2012, 19:51
Post #15

Derelict Train Shed Owner

Member No.: 10,138

Hello Grifter,

I have inherited trains from my Grand-dad and as such started on a project. His layout was dismantled and destroyed before his death so I never had something to work with other than rolling stock. What you have here is a fantastic piece of modeling and a wonderful reminder.
I shall be watching this thread with interest.

--------------------
Ian in Blaston

(Formerly Ian in Tydd/Gedney!!)

Somebody stop me before I plan another layout!!

+

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th August 2020 - 17:09