> Adlestrop, 4mm layout in the loft
James Skelton
post 11 Aug 2012, 16:48
Post #1

Guard
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 12,305

After a lot of procrastination, some of it profitable, I have finally got going with my new layout.

Over the last few months Ive alternated between various smaller branch line terminus to fiddle yard plans and some larger loop layouts some of these plans have found their way onto MRF only to be discarded! The thinking was that a smaller layout had more chance of completion and would be easier to relocate should we have to move house. However, I really wanted a layout where I could, on occasions, just sit and watch the trains go by. So...I have a compromise!

The layout will be in my loft (see photo below) which I have almost finished boarding.

The original plan was to run two lines round the perimeter of the loft with a large scenic section along one side. I have decided to be slightly less ambitious, and will run two loops under the eaves, coming round and along in front of the vertical timbers in the photo. See also the CAD sketch below. The total layout size works out at approx. 5.2m by 1.5m.

My proposed track plan is loosely based on that once found at Adlestrop.

On my layout, the station will be at the left hand end and the tracks will pass over a viaduct at the right hand end. The fiddle yard will simply be 4 tracks, two for the up line and two for the down line. The inner loop has 3rd radius (505mm) curves at either end. The scenic section is 600mm wide.

--------------------
James
My layout - Adlestrop.
My workbench - Buildings for Adlestrop.
Go to the top of the page

+
James Skelton
post 11 Aug 2012, 16:53
Post #2

Guard
Group Icon

I have started baseboard construction, using l-girders as the base for the scenic section. I have still to build another identical bench, and add adjustable feet to the legs. Once the two main benches are positioned and leveled, I will add the baseboard joists, some of which will span across to the rafters to support the fiddle yard.

--------------------
James
My layout - Adlestrop.

+
Robert Stokes
post 11 Aug 2012, 18:11
Post #3

Regional Controller
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,541

A good looking plan - however, I would suggest that more storage sidings will be a good idea. Only two each for each track of the double will be a bit limiting.

Also, is there no way to increase the curve radius at the ends? In this respect your original idea may have been better.

Good luck with the project whatever you decide.

Robert.

--------------------
"Little Salkeld" is my late 1950's midland region layout with Settle and Carlisle flavour.
https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...c=53277&hl=

+
dwb
post 12 Aug 2012, 08:48
Post #4

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

That looks like a good amount of space. I agree with Robert that you should try for more storage sidings if possible and/or allow for more than one train per loop.

I would double check the access to the fiddle yard; head room looks a bit tight in your section drawing and getting a comfortable reach might be tricky.

I look forward to watching this develop.

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
Gromit
post 12 Aug 2012, 14:00
Post #5

Guard

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,795

Good to see an another GWR/WR layout, will look out for developments.

I tend to agree with access to the sidings, if you can't reach them you might want more so that they are not so it's not so much a fiddle yard but a staging yard where you store made up trains. Depending what's at the end of the loft you might be able to add a spur onto these to run trains in and out of, a single line, which is more accessible and allows some trains to be adjusted, re-formed?

Good luck with it!

Jon

--------------------
My GWR BLT Marlingford

+
James Skelton
post 13 Aug 2012, 12:23
Post #6

Guard
Group Icon

I appreciate all your comments - thanks.

Regarding, the fiddle yard / storage sidings:

I think they will act more as a staging area. Currently my rolling stock collection is fairly limited and I don't see it expanding too much in the near future - what with the cost of actually building the layout! However, I'm going to look at squeezing in a couple of extra sidings. Also, as I have a fair length to play with, i'll look at the possibility of having some shorter sidings end to end if you know what I mean. Will be getting back on Anyrail.

dwb - Access to the area won't be comfortable, but there is a decent space between the scenic section and the storage sidings, so it should be possible without too much trouble, even if I do need some knee pads!

Gromit - I like the idea of a fiddle yard spur. I had thought of extending the scenic section at one end at right angles to the main boards with a branch line or industrial facility, (or even a trans-shipment wharehouse [see Whaley], not prototypical for location, but high on my list of buildings to model) so having a spur at the other end fits well.

Robert - I'd love to be building right round the loft but it would have been too ambitious, also the other side is more cluttered with water tanks, pipework etc. and not nearly so accessible. The curves are tighter than ideal, but as they are not in the scenic section, they should be ok.

Its good to finally be making progress - i'll keep you posted.

--------------------
James
My layout - Adlestrop.

+
Robert Stokes
post 13 Aug 2012, 16:47
Post #7

Regional Controller
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,541

Small radius curves that are hidden aren't so bad. The only downside is that you won't be able to couple your carriages as closely as you would otherwise have been able to do.

Obviously the track separation on those curves will need to be wide enough to allow engines and carriages to pass. However, before it emerges you could narrow the track centres closer to what it should be - not right down to the 44 mm approximately that is the prototype to scale but maybe to 50 mm or a bit less. That will then look really good.

Have a look at this photo of my garage layout where the track centres are about 47 or 48 mm to get the idea.

Robert

--------------------
"Little Salkeld" is my late 1950's midland region layout with Settle and Carlisle flavour.
https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...c=53277&hl=

+
James Skelton
post 29 Sep 2012, 16:15
Post #8

Guard
Group Icon

Its been a busy summer, but i've made good progress with the layout.

I've finished the construction of the L-girder benches including the adjustable feet on the legs. The benchwork has been roughly positioned along the loft with fine tuning to come once I have determined the position of the trackbed support joists, as some of these will span across to the roof rafters to support the storage sidings.

--------------------
James
My layout - Adlestrop.

+
James Skelton
post 29 Sep 2012, 16:23
Post #9

Guard
Group Icon

I have also started to test out the track plan on a temporary cardboard track bed. The aim being to determine where the points (and hence point motors) will be, to ensure no clash with the joists.

With a bit of track laid, i couldn't resist running a locomotive for the first time in about 10 years - the Hornby A4 'Wild Swan' biggrin.gif

(Apologies for the poor photograph)

It really feels like I'm getting somewhere!

--------------------
James
My layout - Adlestrop.

+
ste
post 29 Sep 2012, 17:24
Post #10

Tea Boy
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,975

Hello James,

Looks like you have made very good progress with your layout and now have a very strong and sturdy bench for mounting the baseboard to. I also like your idea of having adjustable feet on the legs, and this something I will look to copy for my loft layout (I hope you don't mind smile.gif ).

Keep up the good work and I am looking forward to seeing your layout progress. thumbsup.gif

--------------------
Cheers
Ste

Micro Layout (Lodge Lane) - Micro Layout (Lodge Lane)

Layout (Dukeries Junction) - Loft Layout (Dukeries Junction)

Workbench (Dukeries Junction) - Workbench

+
Anthony566
post 29 Sep 2012, 22:37
Post #11

Why is'nt it easy !!
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,330

Looking very very good James..

--------------------
My Train set efforts....

Two Tunnels - A short section of track for loco testing and my first attempt at scenery
https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...p;hl=anthony566

My Layout Build
https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...showtopic=23502

My YouTube Page
http://m.youtube.com/user/anthony566

For Sale ...

I have a number of items for sale.

https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showforum=80

+
A1A A1A
post 1 Oct 2012, 21:56
Post #12

Station Master

Member No.: 9,846

Hi James.

Looking good, seeing all the great loft/attic layouts on MRF in progress or finished makes me wonder if I should move oot mi garage and head up stairs.

cheers rab.

--------------------

+
James Skelton
post 4 Oct 2012, 11:19
Post #13

Guard
Group Icon

Thanks for all your comments.

The adjustable feet have been great for levelling the benchwork on a floor that undulates significantly!. FYI, i got mine from Station Road Baseboards, who stock a good range of baseboard construction hardware.

--------------------
James
My layout - Adlestrop.

+
silky_jack
post 4 Oct 2012, 15:54
Post #14

Station Master

Member No.: 8,080

That is a seriously nice loft space you have there....no risk at all of bumping your head!! Wow.

The framework is coming along really nicely. smile.gif

--------------------

+
James Skelton
post 19 Oct 2012, 16:30
Post #15

Guard
Group Icon

That is a seriously nice loft space you have there....no risk at all of bumping your head!!

Well...i've just discovered a nail in one of the rafter...the hard way sad.gif

--------------------
James
My layout - Adlestrop.

+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd August 2020 - 15:48