Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bachmann 321-145NRM D11 “Butler Henderson” - Review
Doug
post 17 Oct 2012, 08:16
Post #1

DT

Group: Members
Member No.: 2

Brian represented the forum recently and visited Barrow Hill for the launch of the Bachmann 321-145NRM D11 “Butler Henderson” model.

He has kindly written up a review of the model.

Click here for the review.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+
34C
post 17 Oct 2012, 09:41
Post #2

In depth idiot

Member No.: 1,818

I would hope there is no need to drill the tender drawbar to adjust the loco to tender spacing. Bachmann have been incorporating a variable slide in the loco to tender drawbar arrangement on recent models, hopefully perpetuated on this one. If so there should be a screw under the tender front which when slacked off will allow a smaller separation to be set.

+
TonyDaly
post 17 Oct 2012, 09:45
Post #3

Regional Controller

Member No.: 2,256

Thanks to Brian for the review.
Its a beautiful looking loco.
Well done to the NRM & Bachmann for producing such a lovely model thumbsup.gif

--------------------
Regards.
Tony.
South West Ireland.

The only stupid questions are the one's you don't ask.

+
TonyDaly
post 17 Oct 2012, 09:48
Post #4

Regional Controller

QUOTE (34C @ 17 Oct 2012, 09:41) *
I would hope there is no need to drill the tender drawbar to adjust the loco to tender spacing. Bachmann have been incorporating a variable slide in the loco to tender drawbar arrangement on recent models, hopefully perpetuated on this one. If so there shoud be a screw under the tender front which when slacked off will allow a smaller separation to be set.

Is the loco & tender permanently coupled ? Seems not as I just checked the review.

"The locomotive & tender are coupled by a simple drawbar with a micro plug/socket for the electrical connections. The loco/tender gap could be a little smaller if the user has wide radius curves. Should this be the case then it looks like a spot of careful drilling to the drawbar would close the gap up nicely."

--------------------
Regards.
Tony.
South West Ireland.

+
34C
post 17 Oct 2012, 10:45
Post #5

In depth idiot

What does permanently coupled have to do with anything? The slide arrangement for adjusting loco to tender spacing on Bachmann's 3F and O4 models is not associated with a permanant mechanical coupling. The hole in the tender end of the drawbar engages on a post on the tender underside, which post is on a screw locked slide. So the post may be moved back and forward when the screw is slacked off. Hopefully this useful feature has been repeated on this model, and maybe Brian didn't spot it...

+
post 17 Oct 2012, 11:42
Post #6

Chief mouser
Group Icon

Member No.: 706

I would like to thank Brian for taking the time to write the review, it,s not an easy thing to do. Having looked at the review etc I have to say that although I have no use for one it would certainly be a temptation. Perhaps I can steal the review example when Brian's not looking. tongue.gif

Regards

--------------------
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever
A Penguin is for life - not just elevenses
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+
Richard Johnson
post 17 Oct 2012, 12:33
Post #7

Just another modeller
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 703

*** The colurs overall and the heaviness of the lining bothers me a lot. I'd really like to see both prototype and model together (one on the footplate of the other perhaps) so I could see how much of the "wrongness" is photography differences and how much simple error...

Richard

--------------------

Direct honest advice from DCC, DC & Modelling experts

Please do visit us at Unit E, The Sidings, BD24 9RP.... right behind Settle Station.
Ph +44 (0) 1729 821 080 or email to
[email protected]
Further customer service available online at:
https://www.dccconceptsforum.com

+
TonyDaly
post 17 Oct 2012, 13:24
Post #8

Regional Controller

QUOTE (34C @ 17 Oct 2012, 10:45) *
What does permanently coupled have to do with anything? The slide arrangement for adjusting loco to tender spacing on Bachmann's 3F and O4 models is not associated with a permanant mechanical coupling. The hole in the tender end of the drawbar engages on a post on the tender underside, which post is on a screw locked slide. So the post may be moved back and forward when the screw is slacked off. Hopefully this useful feature has been repeated on this model, and maybe Brian didn't spot it...

What it has to do with doesn't matter. It was a simple question I asked.
I asked the question before I realised it didn't seem to be permanently coupled.

Thank you for the extra information.

--------------------
Regards.
Tony.
South West Ireland.

+
Brian Considine
post 17 Oct 2012, 19:32
Post #9

No Longer Active.
Group Icon

Member No.: 702

Apologies - I did not see the adjustment & thanks to 34C for pointing me in the right direction.

As I've already said it's my first attempt at a review & I welcome any comments, positive or negative as I hope to be doing more reveiws as time goes on.

I will probably have to get a better camera too !

Richard has pointed out an ommision in the review (taken on board) - any others, or what would you like to see in the future ?

+
dwb
post 17 Oct 2012, 20:05
Post #10

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

it's my first attempt at a review

I wouldn't have thought so as to me, it "reads" very well. thumbsup.gif

I think you've covered most points, perhaps a few close ups of the detail would be nice if you could get them but it's not easy.

It's good to read that it pulls well. The worry about any 4-4-0 or 0-4-4 in the past seemed to be about getting enough weight over the drivers. This chassis seems to work so maybe we can hope for some more D class locos?

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
Swift-Deere
post 17 Oct 2012, 22:27
Post #11

Streaks and Teaks

Member No.: 6,390

One Question, Is this this years NRM Bachmann model (like the Deltic, City of Truro and Midland Compound), or is it just a repaint like the Great Central 04.

If it is this years model its dissapointing that its not a whole new tool, and just a modification of the D11/2 in the main Bachman range (with the cab, funnel and boiler mountings changed to the original D11/1 Great central loading gauge).

Still a nice model non the less and hope one day Bachmann realise it in LNER livery.

Mark

+
Graham Plowman
post 17 Oct 2012, 22:40
Post #12

Regional Controller

Member No.: 869

QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 17 Oct 2012, 22:33) *
*** The colurs overall and the heaviness of the lining bothers me a lot. I'd really like to see both prototype and model together (one on the footplate of the other perhaps) so I could see how much of the "wrongness" is photography differences and how much simple error...

Richard

In addition, is it me or is there some kind of optical illusion (camera lense?) which makes the front end look like it is lifted up ? The whole loco looks to me like it has sunk in the middle arround the cab area. The cab looks like it is leaning backwards and is not at right angles with the footplate when looked at side-on.

--------------------
Graham Plowman
(British outline 00 - NCE PH PRO-R, Lenz 100 - DCC Sound and computer controlled signalling/interlocking of Ashprington Road with SSI software)

+
34C
post 17 Oct 2012, 22:49
Post #13

In depth idiot

Brian, thanks for taking another look amd confirming the loco to tender gap is adjustable. I really appreciate seeing the chassis out of the body as you showed. Even when it ois not a model I have a use for as it stands, the mechanism may well be useful elsewhere, and getting a look at the layout is helpful in assessing that.

Regarding the NRM 'exclusive' models of which so far we have had the Deltic Prototype, City of Truro and Midland Compound, these have always been exclusive to the NRM for a period before derived models go on general sale, and so far have emerged at roughly two year intervals. So, I would guess 2013 for the next one, assuming that the programme has been successful enough to warrant continuation. The Director release is one of many livery commissions to represent something in the NRM collection.

+
Long funnel ...
post 17 Oct 2012, 23:07
Post #14

Longfunnelled&tiresome

Member No.: 10,630

For a guy that only really rates black and red 'loks', I thought BC compiled a really useful review. Thank you.

But what a brilliant idea of RJs to photograph a model on the buffer beam of the original. Can we compile a thread of such pics - do some already exist out there on the web?

LF&T

+
Brian Considine
post 18 Oct 2012, 08:30
Post #15

No Longer Active.
Group Icon

Member No.: 702

Richard/Graham.

The first pictures in the thread & the link are Bachmanns own, produced fefore the release & could very well be be pre-production models. I've just checked my example & the lining is indeed much finer & the "sinking/cab not square" is almost certainly an illusion.
The other pictures are mine - please feel free to use/copy them.

General.
Here is the only model/prototype that is anywhere near publishable - I only have a Nikon Coolpix (S6100), so I either will have to get a better camera or find out how to use the one I have properly !

Thanks for the feedback.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th January 2021 - 21:25