Model Railway Forum banner

A Sandwich with Sidings

112K views 444 replies 29 participants last post by  Norman Byrne 
#1 ·
Hello
I got to thinking about how long Anyplace to Anywhere you like might take…… That didn't quite fit into the original intention …. To get a layout which could be made in a, relatively, short time … a layout which can be used to learn an few things. ....

The concept of the Anyplace to Anywhere layout is simply a OO railway for my 7 yr old girl to play trains and learn a few things as she does, hence the name. I have collected a number of trains that she and the family have been on and other bits so she can role play and also worked out some card based games to be played out on the layout, including an Inglenook Sidings type. ....

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...showtopic=24091

It also has to be capable of quick setting up and packing away, therefore not joining up loads of rails from a box every time .... Nothing has changed …. BUT …. She is quite a time away from using it because of the time it takes to build it and I would rather get her involved in, at least, part of the intended plot rather more quickly …. So ….

I remembered the size Ingleton Sidings [ an Inglenook variation ] I had seen at the Bentley show in Melksham … she likes a puzzle or two, so I thought a quick interim shelf Shunting Puzzle [ Shunting on a shelf .... pleeease! ] might be good.

I also need it to be very light .... so construction was relevant too …. Enter the Mosquito and Vampire … made from Ply … add in model a/c foam / ply [ or Balsa ] sandwiches …. There is an idea forming….. Here is the start ........

DSCN2364 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

…. 40mm insulation foam in need of stripping down naked with enough Ply to cut 2 x bits of bread for the sandwich ...
… then a layout plan on Anyrail …. Measure the windowsill … gives me 48" x 8" …. Look in the spare rails pile and find I have a curved set of Electrofrog and a short Electrofrog Y …… pull them onto the plan and mess around with lengths to make sure I have room for 5 x trucks on the long siding and space for 3 x trucks on the other 2 sidings.

The Plan

Shunt Plan by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

In fact there is a slight change ..... already .....
.... as you can see from the plan, the tracks run through the Goods Shed on the side away from the goods doorway, with the loading platform next to the door .... the goods shed is now the Great Northern Skale Regis one ..... it has the rails through the shed next to the open door .... so little fingers can reach through to load the trucks with appropriate items .......

Those with sufficient remaining levels of eyesight [ or suitably recent assistance from the Optician ]
and good levels of observation will, of course. have noticed thet there is some pink area and some white area ......
The pink is for the location of the foam .... which leaves the white area, where there is to be no foam ......
.... this space in the foam will house the electrickery and a Frog Juicer for each set of points ....
.... I could have run the Droppers through the whole board to the underside, as it is only a total of 48mm thick all told .. but .... that recess should keep it all tucked up out of the way .....

So far the sandwich has been made, rails cut, Droppers soldered, holes for the Droppers drilled, most of the 2 x types of Underlay glued to the Sleepers .......
then I ran out of one type of Underlay and had to order some more .......
..... ordered some more .... but ..... can't progress any more yet ........

Anyway .... that's probably as much as anyone can put up with my drivelling on for the moment .......

I would be interested in any [ civilised
] comments on what has transpired so far ........... more pictures and information later, if anone would like to see them ..

TTFN
J

See less See more
#2 ·
This sounds good but are you sure she will be the one playing with it,one thing how will you work the points.Is this going to be a proper shunting puzzle,as your sidings look the same length

Reactions: Chris from France
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ow do BD
Thanks for the comments

Perceptive as ever BD .......
.... I might just dabble a bit .........
BUT ONLY to show her how .............. ............. honest .....

Siding selection will be pinkie placed points ...... I want her to have to look at what happens to them each time .......
..... later I might put a couple of Richards levers and rods ...... to develop the same learning process ......

QUOTE Is this going to be a proper shunting puzzle,as your sidings look the same length

They are indeed a bit long for short trucks .... The top one is longer, @ 18", than the other 2 which are 12.5" each ...... .. I am going to leave them that length to begin with ......... so I don't get the Hairy eyed monster jumping out at me and yelling -
"IT'S A STUPID GAME AND JUST WON'T WORK!!!!"
...... later I shall add some blockages at the far end ..... Brake vans, burnt out van [ fancy making one of them ] ...... to get 1 x 15" and 2 x 9.5" usable sidings ....... obviously the pictures of these won't go in the bag, so they can't get selected for shunting
....... like the old matchbox computer for winning at Noughts and Crosses .........

J

#4 ·
They are indeed a bit long for short trucks .... The top one is longer, @ 18", than the other 2 which are 12.5" each ...... .. I am going to leave them that length to begin with ......... so I don't get the Hairy eyed monster jumping out at me and yelling -
"IT'S A STUPID GAME AND JUST WON'T WORK!!!!"
...... later I shall add some blockages at the far end ..... Brake vans, burnt out van [ fancy making one of them ] ...... to get 1 x 15" and 2 x 9.5" usable sidings ....... obviously the pictures of these won't go in the bag, so they can't get selected for shunting
....... like the old matchbox computer for winning at Noughts and Crosses .........

J
[/quote]

Yes can see that it may put her off and that is last thing you want
so your be using surface points. My board will have 11 points no sure how I will work them yet.Hope to see more of yours soon.

#6 ·
Thank you for the comments .....

I have a question ...... I have put droppers through the top bread, on the Sandwich ...
.... soldering not my strong point ...... having the blistered hands replaced by prosf .. prosstel ... new ones later ......

Plan ... am using Choc Bar Connectors and have checked that I can get 2 x Droppers / Bus wires, twisted together, in each side of a single Terminal, easy ..
... that is quite suitable for the first 2 Dropper sets and the Bus continuation wires .....

DSCN2366 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

the Bus [ not shown on picture ] enters the underboard space, from the Controller, through the hole on the foam in the top left corner of the trough, where there are also the first 2 x Dropper sets ..... the Bus wires will then have to continue across the Space to the 4 x pairs of Droppers in the right hand part of the Space .... so far so good .....

these wires and the pair for a Frog Juicer .... making 6 x connections +ve and same number -ve, i.e. totalling 3 x paired wires each ....
.... I thought it might be tidier to connect the -ve wire pairs along one side of a block of 3 x choc block terminals and another similar block for the +ve ones ..... idea being to cut copper links, shaped like staples, for the connectors down the side of the Block - opposite to the Droppers side .... so there's the plan ....

Now the question .... I tried to get a short bit of Domestic Cable [ 1.5 or 2.5mm ] from M*****s, as the other outlets here abouts , only sell 20+ mtr lots of it .... it is shown on their wire selection board BUT they don't have any in stock ...
... ended up with roll of 1.25 mm varnished copper wire .... any ideas [ non-offensive ] about how best to remove the varnish to get a good connection between the copper staples and the choc bar terminal screws would be most welcome ....

Thanks for looking

J

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I used varnished wire when I was a teenager making rudimentary radios with ex-RAF valves, etc. If I remember right, 50 turns of that wire on a toilet roll cardboard tube was needed for the light programme or home service (what is now radios 2 and 4 from the BBC.).

I found that rubbing it with emery paper wrapped around it got the varnish off in a few seconds. That wire might be a bit thin for bus wires on a larger layout but you might get away with it on a small one like yours.

Robert

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Julian - you CAN get good at soldering! it's really quite easy.
I suggest a Christmas project to read up DCC Concepts pages on soldering, get some proper solder (not the lead free stuff) and some good flux.
Clean up the faces to be soldered (I use wire wool) apply flux to each, apply a touch of solder to each via the iron then offer the two up together, touch again with the iron and bingo!

Last Christmas I taught four grandchildren soldering and they were elated: the youngest being a 7 year old girl.

Age nine, I got taught by an ex RAF Guinea Pig called Vic who built the most amazing little 00 gauge LT&S 4-4-2 tanks from scratch, despite having scarcely any fingers.

LF&T

#12 ·
What is you thinking behind using ?....................... QUOTE I tried to get a short bit of Domestic Cable [ 1.5 or 2.5mm ]

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Air hair lair dt [ Chapter 11 - N-Army Orrficer talk ]

Ow do the rest,

QUOTE What is you thinking behind using ?.......................

Thought it might be better to input the 6 x Droppers / Juicy Feed along one side of the Choc Block, to fit in the underboard space .... Toadstool in there
.... less tight curves in the Flex, so less pressure on the joins at the other ends ...
.. so ran Copper connections along the one edge ..... and the 3 x pairs of Droppers along the other side .......

Same for the red ones .....

would have been easy with a bit of Domestic Cable but M*****s didn't have any .... didn't want 20mtrs ..... so got the 1.25 mm Varnish Clad Copper instead ......

Image169 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Should add that lengths are only for checking circuits and staying through the holes when track elevated slightly for applying sticky to fix the track ... will all be shortened when track stuck down .....

J

#14 ·
QUOTE (Julian2011 @ 22 Dec 2012, 11:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>would have been easy with a bit of Domestic Cable but M*****s didn't have any .... didn't want 20mtrs ..I reckon it's 'cos yer al too rich down in Dorset.
In Geordieland we still have little corner DIY shops where the lad sells you just as much as you ask for (in feet mind).

The project's looking canny good though.
Only prob is its a bit late to make up a few as Christmas prezzies for this year - mebbee for next year...?

LF&T

#15 ·
QUOTE little corner DIY shops where the lad sells you just as much as you ask for (in feet mind).

Must be some in Salisbury somewhere ...... difficult to see past the beards, wide brimmed leather hats, grey haired pony-tails, calf length candy-striped trousers and Barb**r coats ... and that's just the women ......
.... mind you they do run to a better class of yob ........

M*****s claim to sell it by the length ...... but you have to do your own calculation to convert to proper measurements ......
.... then they tell you there is none in stock .......

[Note aside - it always amused me that school kids have been taught pretend measurements for more than a generation ...... BUT ...... when discussing lengths and volumes most still request a conversion to the real thing, so they can picture it in their minds .....
........ seems that more important persons can Pontificate all they like but the people will continue to make their own minds up .......
]

Thanks for the kind words ..... would like to get it done more qquickly but am under the threat of having to clear the workshop Conservatory for fast approaching festivities and a 7 yr old female demander of my time ..... on holiday now .......

Will see if I can get the thing running later today when all other duties on the list completed ............ ............... .......................... off to the jungle now .....

J

#16 ·
Ow do all,

Last of the underlay onto the tracks and sticky bits ballasted .. [ the tops of the Tracklay is the sticky bits I am refering to - before anyone goes there ....
]

Next ..... connect the Controllor and switch on ......... will it all work ............
.......... in comes the Mini Driver to assist ............

Whew ......
..... one engine + truck ....... all sidings and both points have power .......

Have small video but Flickr times out before it uploads ..... any ideas from the auditorium .....

Now to fix the underlay to the Baseboard ........
...... now ........ .......... where did I put the Co***ex .......... ......... ............? .......... ?

J

#17 ·
Hi J have your tried Photobucket
after a fight it now works
but only the old version
but videos still take for ever.I think there keeping it slow so we will buy there new version cost about £30 a pop
my way out was to buy another laptop.I have moved all my train stuff on to it and use it to down load stuff, set it so it stays awake and use other for normal things.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ow do all,

Managed to Upload the grotty Vid ......
....... it is very basic Flycamone stuff ..... but .... it does show the first run to check all the connections and the Frog Juicer work ..... just ...

You can click either link - they both go to the same place ......
.... sort of .... the second is bigger, so it seems after posting this ......

BTW .. the grinding noise isn't the Loco ...
... there is a Christmas decoration just out of shot .... honest ... no, I mean it .......

http://s576.beta.photobucket.com/user/jcre...de9513.mp4.html

J

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ow do,
On the Video the Underlay is shown sort of there but loose .....
it is possible to see there are 2 kinds .... I thought I would use Gaugemaster Ballasted for the Sidings and TrackLay for the points ..... wanted to avoid having to chop up the Gaugemaster Granited bits around the points
... also wanted to use this Layout as practice for the bigger one .... quick checks of measurement showed bottom of Sleepers to Baseboard = 3mm and Tracklay said to be 1 1/2 mm ....

A final check and adjustment was made of the track and Dropper fit, particularly to the Goods Shed ...... got a little help here .......
.... they help to keep Mini Driver curious ......

DSCN2349 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

I had got a sample of the Tracklay to see if the idea is feasible ......... and it looked ok

DSCN2336 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

...... when both lots were stuck to the tracks it seems that the measurements of thickness were a fraction out ....... Ooops ...... but not far out ...

Didn't have enough Tracklay for a complete double layer to complete the job, from what you see here but it looked ok enough to order another 20 mtr .....
..... the double layer, under the Signal Box, is where it meets the Gaugemaster .... and there is only 1 layer of Tracklay beneath where the tractor is ........

DSCN2360 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

an insert of a single layer of cereal packet made the height of bot sets of sleepers match perfectly ........ a layer of Co***ex ..... lay the Track, with attached Underlays on it ....... and topped the Track with Nigella Lawson, for the night ...
... and a few more suitable substantial chefs .... and hope I have a recipe for smooth running tracks .......

Lessons learned to date .... and in no sepcific order ......

1. Having the Droppers attached to the bottom of the Track at a small angle outwards to make it easier to pass through the Underlays .... was a mistake .... it meant the holes in the Baseboard had to be much bigger for the Droppers to be lifted in and out .... putting strain on them ...

2. I marked the out-line of the Track before fitting the Droppers ... good one .... left it wide of the Track but didn't quite appreciate quite how wide it would be with the underlay on ... Mark with underlay loosely fitted next time ...

3. Tested Droppers and Track before glueing Track to Board ..... didn't want to be tearing it up to mend a badly soldered joint. Must make some wedges for holding the Track up in the air, whilst applying the glue ..... or grow another arm ....

4. On reflection it may be better to use just one type of Underlay .... it will take quite a bit of fiddling to get the Ballast to match on the sides .... same area .... 2 x layers of Tracklay makes it easy to leave a small gap in the top layer under the Sliding Point Sleeper and Ballast will stick to the layer under that, which can be continuous .....

May be able to invert Layout Monday to shorten and secure the Bus and Droppers .... plan already under threat, from SWMBO, as Festive Season gets closer .... probably not the only one to be restrained like that ...... can you believe she wants to turn the Workshop into a Conservatory in less than 24 hours .......

to all out there and thanks for all the helpful comments .... and a few others too ......

J

#21 ·
Ow do all,
Weather prevented going out to take Mini Driver skating, so managed to tidy up the wiring and secure the connectors ......
...... of course a trial of the completed circuits was essential ...... well my excuse anyway ......

DSCN2370 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

all went well except ..........
.... the Engine sometimes stopped when run very ... very slowly over one frog
.... tried it the other way and no problem .... time for a guest appearance then .....

who do we always rely on when there is trouble .....

DSCN2373 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Ah yes ..... there it is ..... BUT who is it ....... over there .... at the far end in the mist ........

of course, it's the Army ......

DSCN2375 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

True to reputation Basra ran over the points quickly and slowly ..... back and forth ...... back and forth ..... testing with the slowest speeds

....... oh yes ... and that is very slow ........ as usual the Army came up Trumps .... not a single glitch .....

conclusion from Sergeant A Driver .......... the other engine must be catching on part of one of the rails round the Frog and a close inspection is needed in the daylight .........

a quick run through the shunting game ..... easy one for Mini Driver to see ..... she found much quicker solution ..... hand of mini god just lifts them up and puts them in order ....... why ever did BR never think of that ........

here is a picture of the line up ....... all ready to go ........

DSCN2382 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Mini Driver says the nearest wagon had to have passengers ...........
... they look about as lively as the milk churns in the next wagon, to me ....

....Happy Christmas all .......
... and thanks to everyone for all your comments ...
..... particularly all those useful ones ...........

J

#22 ·
Morning J. A well timed update for today,

Now I can see what you have achieved, instead of drawing me pictures,over the telephone..........
Anthony 556, suggested I load, vid's, direct to You Tube for quicker uploads, which I am now doing,
but depending on,"traffic" can take 1 hour for a vid. of 2. mins.

Well done,...........Enjoy the Day...........

#23 ·
Ow do dt and all,
Thanks for the comments ....

QUOTE well timed ...... ..
promised myself it would operate by Christmas ... one of those "that's a good idea" moments .......
a rather close run thing with only 30 seconds to run to the SWMBO deadline for the Workshop conversion, last night ......

QUOTE suggested I load, vid's, direct to You Tube for quicker uploads, which I am now doing, but depending on,"traffic" can take 1 hour for a vid. of 2. mins.

BD suggested Photobucket, which would seem to be a bit quicker .....
.. the video further up the page is there .... I would imagine it is more down to the BT line speed 'though .... ours is rubbish and the pigeon link keeps going to sleep too ........

J

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ow do all,
Thanks for the greetings and comments ... much appreciated ..

I mentioned .... in short .... well ok, at length .... a glitch with the original Class 8 stopping when going, very slowly, out to the right over the Y points, but at not the other direction [ ie. no problem entering the points from the right-hand Siding ] ....... or any other place on the layout .........

I found a similar problem at the same Y points, with a small, 4 Plank, truck ..... http://www.hornby.com/shop/new-releases/r6...rosper-4-plank/ .... except it jumps up onto the Frog and derails quite frequently ....
.... when going faster .......
.............. Looking closely when running slower, it still tries to jump up as it gets to the Frog ...... just doesn't have the momentum and drops back onto the track ........ other trucks seem to just follow the Track to the right, smoothly .......

if the finger from the sky runs it round slowly and a small sideways pressure is added to the left, it will stop against the point of the Frog .........

I thought one possibility for this might be because it might have a wider wheelbase than the rest ..... I don't yet have a B to B Gauge ...
.... but will obtain one as soon as I can find one ......

rough check of sideways slop gaps of the wagon and others .... ie. move one flange across to its rail and see how far between the rail and flange on the other side ..... it seems there is less slop on the offending wagon, than any of the others .... varying between approximately 1/2 - 1 mm less

.... 2 possibilities came to mind .... the second of which was the possibility that the Guard Rail is not carrying out its function properly ..... I don't know if that is likely, or if moving it closer to the Stock rail might give problems for the other trucks .... and even less idea what to do to check it ...... .......

I did consider taking a file to champher that side of the Frog point a little .... but it occurs that other wagons don't have the problem ........ and that seemed very expensive if it wasn't the problem ....

Any ideas apreciated ...........

J

#26 ·
No, not ... the dremel file........ .........It will probably be the B to B on the wagon.....................

QUOTE I did consider taking a file to champher that side of the Frog point a little .... but it occurs that other wagons don't have the problem ........ and that seemed very expensive if it wasn't the problem .... yikes.gif