Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buildings for Adlestrop, My first foray into scratch building.
James Skelton
post 10 Apr 2013, 20:15
Post #1

Guard
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 12,305

As a change from soldering droppers to track, Im making a start on some of the buildings for my layout Adlestrop. This will be my first attempt at scratch building so well see how it goes - as with all things model railway related I suspect progress will be slow. Constructive (!) criticism and suggestions are welcome. smile.gif

Initially i'm going to tackle the station building.

First job research. Currently I have very little in the way of reference material for the station building or indeed any of the station at Adlestrop, other than a handful of photos obtained from a web search and one I have in a book. Originally on the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway, Adlestrop Station was situated on the line between Wolvercot Junction and Evesham. The timber station building can be seen in the photo below (Copyright: Ben Brooksbank).

Originally the station had canopies (which I will be modelling) as can be seen in the additional photos linked below. These canopies were removed in the 1930s, which puts the above photo between then and 1966 when the station closed. Nothing is left of the station now except the station masters house. Additional photos:
Allposters.co.uk - Adlestrop Railway Station
Superstock.com - Adlestrop Station c.1930

Can anyone can point me in the direction of any other material, or suggest any books that include Adlestrop? (I have GWR Then & Now by Laurence Waters which has one useful photograph.)

Having no plans or drawings, I am at present attempting to determine the size of the building from clues in the photos. To this end, was there a standard size for the planking forming the walls in building of this nature? Initially I assumed it was 6, however, this would give a door height of about 5 feet...too low! 9 inch planks a door height of 7 feet...too high! 7 inch planks with a 0.25 inch gap between each plank gives a door height of approximately 6 feet which seems more reasonable, but is 7" planking prototypical?

--------------------
James
My layout - Adlestrop.
My workbench - Buildings for Adlestrop.
Go to the top of the page

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd August 2020 - 15:12