Model Railway Forum banner

Nürnberg 2009

28K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  neil_s_wood 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Our reporters are preparing for the show. We'll bring photos and news from the 2009 Nürnberg International Toy Fair.

Be warned, there is not much that we don't know already. Most companies at the show have already released their 2009 news. Anyway, we'll get some photos and perhaps a video or two of some nice layouts.

Stay tuned and check back here often, I'll link from this topic to our reports.

UPDATE: The photos are 6 posts down.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
This statement below was made before the current news that Märklin has filed for bankruptcy. Märklin has announced today that it has filed for insolvency proceedings at the Göppingen court. We'll bring more news when it is available.

Statement on the state of affairs in the model railway industry by Roland Gaugele, Märklin spokesman.

Model trains are fascinating, but the lack of new customers is on the increase. The industry appears to agree with this. Manufacturers have announced a retreat - back to the children's playroom. See Circus Mondolino.

On which frontlines are manufacturers engaged most? With cell phones and PCs? With setting product prices, with the company image or gaps in market penetration? Or the fact that model trains are no longer part of the real life of today's children, of parents who would rather outsource child supervision and upbringing rather than taking time for playing and tinkering?

Roland Gaugele: Its time for industry to stop complaining. Complaining doesn't win new customers. On the contrary, the hobby will become even less attractive. In the past, there were always children who didn't want "electric" trains, although toy choices then were obviously less numerous than today. And the number of customers who became genuine hobbyists after receiving their starter-pack also remained in the one-digit percentile.

The real problem confronting all participants in the toy and hobby segment is the significant reduction in the number of children in today's market. The children's market is hotly contested and therefore many suppliers are attempting to penetrate the adult market. Model trains established themselves long ago in this market segment and they possess a clear advantage here over other toy market competitors. However, that does not mean that we can sit back and relax.

We must continue to work hard and maintain the attractiveness of toy / model trains for children at the standards demanded by our target groups. On the one hand, this involves children's themes such as our Circus Mondolino, Fire Department and THW starter packs. However, these are also complemented with new play-elements such as light, sound and remote controlled mechanisms that make complex model operations even more realistic and action-oriented.

Detractors tend to overlook the moderate entry prices which are competitive with most other alternative toy prices. A complete beginners system starts at € 100 (Recommended Retail Price). Other locomotives start at € 65 (RRP) and coaches start at € 8.95 (RRP). We are taking all measures to insure that the attractiveness of our model trains is maintained at the highest possible level for our target groups.

The pedagogic benefits of model trains for the development of children remain undisputed and are more important today than ever before. Responsible parents know this and want to ensure sharing the social interaction with their children that a model train hobby can provide.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Our reporters have been busy checking out the Trains, Slotcars and some RC models.

There is no sign of an economic downturn on the floor of the show - there is a record number of new Slotcar models and the members of our sister forum - SlotForum - are very excited.

About half the Slotcar reports are online already, see them here if you are interested. More will go up today.

The train photos are only being sent to me tonight - our guys didn't take the right card adaptor to upload them directly from the Toyfair

Apparently there is activity on the Marklin stand - no outward signs of trouble.

#5 ·
Looks like lots of nice new slotcars available, perhaps its time to dust of the slot car circuit again!

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here are the photos from the show.

They were taken by one of our guys that visited. Unfortunately, he's a car guy and didn't really now what to look for on the train scene. Also, I don't think he knew how the macro on the camera worked. Anyway, we get a feel of the show. Nothing much new to be seen except what we already have seen in the releases to date. Zimmo weren't there, preferring to see distributors and some clients at a different venue.

Continued in the post below....

#10 ·
Thanks for posting the pictures. Nice to see some stuff I wouldnt usually notice. its nearly enough to make me want to start a continental layout...Drool.........

#12 ·
Thanks Doug for the photos.

The Piko Reko Br41 looks stunning. So does the Roco Br52's.

However said that, no one still has received there orders down here.Seems they are a bit late in production, although a couple already on e-bay.

Neil, any news from yours?

Baykal

#13 ·
Nice to see the Maerklin BR05. It would be nice to see a reissue with sound under the Trix brand.

I see Roco have a BR52 on display. I have been waiting on mine for over a month. Good to see someone has one!

Nice to see the BR44, I will have to get one this year.

I also notice the Roco minitanks range. For some reason I thought Herpa had taken them over?

It looks like this year will be the battle of the BR18's. Many variants now available and still coming.

Thanks for providng the photographs and posting them Doug.

#14 ·
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 8 Feb 2009, 21:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Doug for the photos.

The Piko Reko Br41 looks stunning. So does the Roco Br52's.

However said that, no one still has received there orders down here.Seems they are a bit late in production, although a couple already on e-bay.

Neil, any news from yours?

Baykal

Sorry Baykal, must have posted at the same time. No unfortunately not however my BRAWA KPEV stuff is on the way so that is something to be going on with.

regards Neil

#16 ·
QUOTE Zimmo weren't there, preferring to see distributors and some clients at a different venue.
I wonder if that's a trend? The cost of attending rises to levels where more and more companies take a suite a local hotel and invite selected guests to meetings. That's what killed Comdex in Las Vegas about 10 years ago.

A Jouef TGV "V150" is definitely on our shopping list but I must remember to get the model and not the toy version.

Thanks for posting the photos

David

#17 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 8 Feb 2009, 12:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wonder if that's a trend? The cost of attending rises to levels where more and more companies take a suite a local hotel and invite selected guests to meetings. That's what killed Comdex in Las Vegas about 10 years ago.

A Jouef TGV "V150" is definitely on our shopping list but I must remember to get the model and not the toy version.

Thanks for posting the photos

David

If that's the case, & judging by the costs of hotels in the Nurnberg area (by my experience) then I dread to think of the cost's of the exhibition itself !

#19 ·
I'd say Zimo got it right. If the organisers don't get a grip on their costs, they could well go the way of the big electronics / computer / IT shows of the last 20 years - extinct.

David

#20 ·
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 8 Feb 2009, 10:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Perhaps you could join forces with BRITHO - he's weakening...............

Just waiting for the right steeple cab

Excellent as ever - let's have more of the same

Regards

#23 ·
I'll probably go back there next year to get better model railway coverage.

If anyone is interested in going - seriously - please let me know. You must be able to take good pictures and be prepared to write up on some aspect of the fair.

We'll cover hotel and perhaps some transport, but you may have to cover some expenses. It really is a fun and busy toyfair and the German beer is quite good.

#26 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 10 Feb 2009, 18:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It really is a fun and busy toyfair and the German beer is quite good.

I would go aong with that, it's also very tiring.

I have to admit I would like to go again.

Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.