Doug
post 28 Apr 2006, 13:02
Post #1

DT

Group: Members
Member No.: 2

Model Rail Forum is launching a Model Rail Review Competition

With the support of:

Model Rail Forum is on the lookout for new literary talent. We want to work with writers who can tell the truth about Model Locomotives, rolling stock and accessories with passion, insight, honesty, integrity and a sense of humor.

We want you to write a review: comprised of 750 to 1500 words; text together with photos; and laid out in an interesting, readable and well formatted way.

What a Review should comprise:
  • Requires a production quality Model
  • Model 'used in real life' before testing commences
  • Product photography taken in studio condition/home/layout
  • Some supplementary photos may be used provided by manufacturer
  • Supplementary photos and description of the prototype if possible
  • All work carried out by our reviewer
Review should include:
  • Photographs and description of Model
  • Detailed specifications
  • May include steps and method of fitting DCC decoder to Model
  • If DCC decoder is fitted, include a basic CV programming chart for the Model
  • Competitive Models from other manufacturers on the market and their features
  • Conclusion based on test results and experience with the Model

The review should be done on a new Model has been recently released. Preferably a Model that has not been reviewed elsewhere. You can review an older Model as long as the review has some sort of interesting 'angle'.

Please look at some of our previous reviews to give you an idea on layout.

For the layout, use a HTML table of 600, 638, 680 or 800 pixels wide.

HTML produced in Microsoft Word is not acceptable as the code is over complex. The HTML should be simply formatted with no style-sheet or wierd and wonderful font styling. The review will use the SlotForum default style-sheet when it is loaded on the site. If you have any special style-sheet requirements, tell us about them in a note.

Photos should be clear and well proportioned. The photos should fit into the HTML table or you may use thumbnails or smaller versions of the images. Thumbs and full-size photos should be in the same directory so name them accordingly. Full size images should not be larger than 800 pixels wide.

You should send the completed review to us by email. All files should be in the same directory and preferably zipped up. No spaces or special characters in the filenames. Please send to [email protected]

The winning Reviewer will receive a Hornby R2374 Class 50 50031 'Hood' in BR large logo blue.
This is a Hornby Collector Centre Limited Edition loco, not in the Hornby catalogue supplied by MRE with a retail value of 85.
A limited production of ony 1000 locos was made so it's one to look out for.

The competition closes at the end of May 2006, so put pen to paper or fingers to the keyboard and get cracking thumbsup.gif

Model Rail Forum reserves the right to publish entries. Winners could be asked to join the regular Model Rail Forum reviewing team and therafter help with other model and accessory reviews. Reviewers get to see interesting new releases, they often get to keep the model being tested and they get their work published on our World-famous Forum wink.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+
neil_s_wood
post 29 Apr 2006, 01:57
Post #2

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 570

You can review an older Model as long as the review has some sort of interesting 'angle'.

Well done Doug this is a great idea. Could you maybe give an example of what you mean by an "interesting angle" as some reviewers may have different ideas about what is interesting and what is not.
question.gif

--------------------

+
Doug
post 29 Apr 2006, 09:27
Post #3

DT

Well that is open to you. A "review" is generally written about relatively new models. We're not "Previewing" yet to be released models, but as you can ge some older models from swap-meets, speciality stores and eBay, you could try and entice the reader towards an older model. If you are going to write about a 10-year old tender-drive loco, then you have to say something really interesting to get the readers interested and perhaps motivated to go out and find one.

--------------------

+
neil_s_wood
post 30 Apr 2006, 01:47
Post #4

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

No worries, I was actually thinking about something I had bought in the last year. Unfortunately there isn't a lot new at the moment I was interested in. So I was hoping to do one on a previous purchase. Thanks thumbsup.gif

--------------------

+
Doug
post 23 May 2006, 13:22
Post #5

DT

Neil has submitted some very interesting reviews for the competition.

Broadway Limited - Norfolk and Western Class J

Trix ICE

Trix Big Boy

--------------------

+
Rail-Rider
post 24 May 2006, 12:38
Post #6

Engine Driver

Member No.: 244

TRIX BIG BOY REVIEW

While collecting far too many scales and Nationalities over the years, I have managed to resist branching out into North American outline (so far), tempting though it often is!

So, I am not in the market for this monstrous (and expensive) brute.
But, regardless of my financial or space considerations, I would like to say how much I enjoyed this review. It's well written, entertaining and informative with regard to both prototype and model.

That I am unlikely to buy one is completely irrelevant.
That I am nearly as unlikely to even SEE one is, however, very relevant to expressing my enjoyment in having the opportunity to read this.

Well done and thank you! thumbsup.gif

+
Rail-Rider
post 24 May 2006, 12:59
Post #7

Engine Driver

TRIX ICE3 REVIEW

Excellent stuff!
I particularly appreciated the attempted price rationalisation compared with Hornby, though it will probably raise the odd hackle with die-hards! (which is more than can be said for some of their pantographs!) lmfao.gif

The two makes are a long way apart in several respects and, excellent though Trix is, its price really IS quite stiff, to say the least! At that price, I am seriously taken aback that the "highly detailed pantographs" are not electrically operational. Naughty naughty Trix! biggrin.gif

The comments on the coach connections, together with warnings about smooth track transitions were a thoughtful touch - things a purchaser need to know (and take care of).

Regardless of any playful digs at either Hornby or Trix, the review itself is a damned good read and, again, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I look forward to more in the coming months. cheers.gif

+
Rail-Rider
post 24 May 2006, 13:05
Post #8

Engine Driver

Broadway Limited Class J REVIEW

My comments on the Big Boy review would apply equally here.

I am not likely to buy one of these, but thoroughly enjoyed the review, written and illustrated to the same consistent standard as the other two.

Again, I particularly appreciate the mention of alternative models and also the downsides that are noted against this one, without doing any kind of hatchet job on it. All very fair comment and presented in a useful and informative way.
Much appreciated cheers.gif

+
Makemineadouble
post 24 May 2006, 15:57
Post #9

Minister of Transport

Member No.: 203

I have to agree with Neil the Trix is the Rolls Royce of Big Boys, I was always apprehensive which was the next bit to fall off the Rivarossi version. How are you programing your Broadway Neil ?
wacko.gif

+
neil_s_wood
post 24 May 2006, 22:27
Post #10

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

How are you programing your Broadway Neil ?

I have actually found the manual quite lacking compared with the Trix models in terms of advice on programming. While it has several pages on this matter most of the CV alterations seem to be about volume of sound. The CV tables I printed in the reviews is pretty much what you get in the manual. I could find nothing for starting and braking inertia which is one area it is lacking in. It does offer this change in analogue programming oddly enough. wacko.gif
I actually had the impression that the DCC aspect suffered a little in terms of programming etc due to making it possible to run and programme in analogue. I didn't state this in the review because I only suspect this, I don't know it and I don't think I should be speculating in a review. Where the Loksound decoders in the Trix offer a range of parameters to set each CV too, the Broadway does not it only tells you the factory setting. I guess you just have to experiment. I have experimented a bit but have not been able to get the sound to stop at the same time as the train. This is something I have tried several times unsuccessfully to sort out. So I am open to suggestions if anyone has solved this problem. smile.gif

The two makes are a long way apart in several respects

Absolutely, I just wanted to demonstrate what you are paying the extra money for. Once you have added all the modifications and your time, there's not a lot in it.

--------------------

+
Doug
post 3 Jun 2006, 07:43
Post #11

DT

Neil wins the review competition and now adds something very British to his International collection.

Well done Neil - your reviews were great - we hope to see some more in the future. thumbsup.gif

We thank Gary at MRE for supporting the forum and contributing the prize for the competition.

--------------------

+
neil_s_wood
post 3 Jun 2006, 09:15
Post #12

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Thanks Doug. I'm pleased to hear they went down alright. I should have another one in the next month or so. thumbsup.gif

The loco looks very good. I've been quite impressed with the new Hornby diesels so I am glad to add this to my collection. thanks again

Neil

--------------------

+
Rail-Rider
post 3 Jun 2006, 10:18
Post #13

Engine Driver

Well done Neil - your reviews were great - we hope to see some more in the future.

I'll echo and reinforce all of that - CONGRATULATIONS! cheers.gif

+
Dennis David
post 3 Jun 2006, 14:36
Post #14

Station Master

Member No.: 106

Well deserved. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+
neil_s_wood
post 4 Jun 2006, 04:08
Post #15

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Thanks guys thumbsup.gif

--------------------

+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th July 2020 - 09:26