Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Posting photos & graphics
Model Rail Forum > The Signal Box - General Information > About this Bulletin Board
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Doug
If you'd like to add a photo to your post, you can do the following:

On the Edit screen, simply click the IMG button and enter the URL of you image.

Like this:
CODE
[IMG]address-of-the-photo[/IMG]

For example:
CODE
[IMG]http://www.modelrailforum.com/images/Garratt.gif[/IMG]

Remember that your photo has to be on the Internet for this to work. If you do not have any place to host your photos you can subscribe to a free photo hosting service. Even better, join up to the Model Rail Forum Plus+ membership package and get the use of the gallery to host you photos - you'll help support the forum in the process too. Click here for details.

Please keep your photos around or under 800 pixels wide. This saves bandwidth and allows people with lower screen resolutions to see the images. 900 pixels for the occasional good photo, but please don't post jumbo photos un-cropped or resized directly from your camera.

If you have a problem, please don't hesitate to ask.
dwb
I would like to post an image
I have uploaded it to a personal photo album hosted by my ISP
My ISP indicates that my photos are stored at http://<site>@ISP.com
How do I further refine the URL so that it points to the album / photo in question?

Regards
David
Gary
Left mouse click on the image and a menu opens up. Right click on "properties" at the bottom of the menu. Copy the address(URL) and paste this in between the image codes as shown above.

When you review the message the image should then be present.

You can then add the reply which includes the image.

Happy modelling
Gary
Paxman
Doug,

I have been trying to post a photo, but on trying to use the "Canon Image Gateway" (which I chose because I have a Canon camera), the MRF site reported an error along the lines of "Cannot host dynamic pages" or similar (it was late and I did not write down the actual error text).

Is there any other way I can upload images?

Or is there a free site you can recommend which works for this job?

Thanks for any help.
Doug
If I don't have access to my server via FTP and if I need something uploaded fast, I use Flickr. Should be still free and easy.
ironduke
QUOTE (Paxman @ 3 Feb 2007, 23:51) *
is there a free site you can recommend which works for this job?

I use Photobucket
Paxman
Thanks chaps. I'll have a look at those.
goedel
Hello,

Is there code that allows you to resize the image as displayed on the fourm? Neither [img=AxB] or [img height=B width=A] seem to work...

Thanks,
Goedel
Doug
QUOTE (goedel @ 16 Mar 2007, 15:28) *
Is there code that allows you to resize the image as displayed on the fourm? Neither [img=AxB] or [img height=B width=A] seem to work...

No, as it is now, that wouldn't work. Perhaps there is a modification code out there somewhere that would do it.

The board software has automatic resizing for extra large images, but I turned that off as it didn't work so well and wasn't able to be configured to the level that I required.

With the gallery, if you upload a large image, it will be resized into a large (1600x1200 max), medium (640x480 max) and small (128x128 max) graphic, keeping the aspect ratios of the original file.

Use ResizR to rezize your images online if you like and then save them in your gallery or to your PC.
Colombo
Doug,

I find that the system will not accept uploads from Photobucket now because of those dynamic images,

Colombo
DiesAL
QUOTE (Doug @ 23 Apr 2005, 22:12) *
If you'd like to add a photo to your post, you can do the following:

On the Edit screen, simply click the IMG button and enter the URL of you image.

Remember that your photo has to be on the Internet for this to work. If you do not have any place to host your photos you can subscribe to a free photo hosting service.

If you have a problem, please don't hesitate to ask.

I don't have a site on the internet to store photos. Can't someone enable a simple 'cut or copy and paste' facility to allow pictures to be added/imported to a post? It would be much easier than having to set up a website/host site?

Brian Considine
Looks like a useful site/facility, so I've bookmarked it for later use - it looks to me like you can use a file directly from your HD, so if your picture is only stored on say Photobucket all you have to do is download it back to your HD to resize ?
RAF96
Hi
My problem is not how to post images but how to arrange my set-up so that I can view those posted.
At present all I see are gaps in the text.
I am not a plus member at his time.
Robbie
dwb
I am not a plus member at his time.

That will not affect being able to see images posted on this website.

This sounds like some kind of setting problem on your system, but I haven't a clue what. It feels like your system doesn't like finding references to other Internet sites in the messages. It seems to be saying "I'm on MRF; I'm not going to look at that imagesite, I don't know where it's been!".

I think you need to talk to someone who knows how a system might think like that.

Here's a test. The image below is stored in the MRF Galleries, so the image is "local" rather than coming from outside. If you can't see it, then I guess your browser really doesn't want you to see any pictures at all sad.gif

There should be a small image just above this sentence.

David
1ngram
Was a solution to this Photobucket problem ever found as I have been trying today to post a photo from Photobuckett and getting the same "dynamic image" problem. I post photos from Photobucket to other forii without any problem so whats the matter here?

QUOTE (Colombo @ 3 May 2007, 13:07) *
Doug,

I find that the system will not accept uploads from Photobucket now because of those dynamic images,

Colombo

Doug
Well I can't fix or change anything. The forum doesn't allow dynamic images - I suppose for security reasons.

You should be able to drill down to the original Photobucket image and use that as I have seen others using Photobucket on this and other forums.

Looking at Photobucket, under the image there are link codes: IMG Code - Forums & Bulletin Boards use that code and just insert it where you want the image to appear.

here is one at random:

1ngram
My apologies. Its not Photobucket I am on but Flikr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2859760134/

So if there is a way of uploading Flikr image here please tell me.
dwb
When I click on the link you have posted, an image appears in a separate box, so as a remote link that works for me.

One comment I would make, is that Flickr is blocked in some jurisdictions because the authorities don't approve. This means that some members here are not able to see photos posted on that site. I have not heard that Photobucket is affected in that way.

David
Doug
If I right click on that image and click 'view image' (Firefox) I get this URL:
CODE
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/2859760134_fe99cb8d9c.jpg?v=0

The forum won't accept that as it does not end in .jpg, .gif or .bmp.

Strip the '?v=0' at the end and you end up with something that you can insert between the IMG tags like this:
CODE
[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/2859760134_fe99cb8d9c.jpg[/IMG]

Which gives this:

zmil
Hi Doug

If you are running the Firefox V 3.0
when your mouse moves over the "link" on the Post by 1ngham http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2859760134/

the picture comes up

annoying at times when you want to download something instead of opening it wink.gif

So the dynamic link works for me anyhow

Regards zmil
Doug
OK, that's something else that is installed to enhance the site. To get to the original article or photo, just click on the pop-up, it will enlarge, click again and it will open up a tab with the original source.
John S

"On the Edit screen, simply click the IMG button and enter the URL of you image."

What on earth does the above mean? Where can I find the 'edit' screen?
Surely there must be a dead simple way of putting photos on this site that the average bloke who is not 'au fait' with computers and their jargon can understand!
Big John S.
Doug
The "Edit screen" refers to the post edit page. See the image below:

The image must be on the internet for this to work.

Storing images on the internet requires a server. You can use ours if you join the Plus+ membership scheme. See here for details.

Or you can use another service: Photobucket, Flickr, Google Picasa or another similar service.

When you click that button, you paste in the URL of the image. That is the address of the image as it would be if you were to look at the image by itself in a browser.

Clicking the image button inserts some code in your reply. This code shows the image. See the other posts above for the full and correct syntax of the code if you need it. You can insert the code by hand if you want too.
Lord Castellan Creed
Never use photo-bucket to host images, on many cases the picture is deleted a few days after hosting, image-shack is better and it gives you the code to put the picture on the web.
Sol
So far with Photobucket since I joined in May & now have over 100 photos, none have gone - still there to view. Codes for 4 different conditions are presented to enable use on the Net, etc.
Lord Castellan Creed
you are just lucky then, I hosted a few maps on another forum and they where deleted by the time I came back on a week later.
Mumbles
were they copyrighted?
silly old begger
Good evening,
I have tried to post a reply on the Flying Scotsman topic and in clude some pictures. I have stored the pics on to Flickr.com. I cannot find the Edit bit on the reply screen. What I did was clocked on the 'insert image' icon and then, when the prompt came up, inserted the URL for the picture. When I tried to post the reply I got the message You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board. A valid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.gif, an invalid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.one.gif

Help please, what am I doing wrong
Many thanks
Mike S
dwb
The second reference you have posted has two full stops in it - one before "one" and one before "gif". A lot of software assumes that extensions start after the first full stop. I suspect that is the case here which means the extension is being seen as "one.gif" which is not an extension used for images. One way around this problem is to replace the first full stop with underscore.

Well that's the difference between the two examples you have posted but something tells me it isn't going to fix your problem. If it doesn't fix the problem could you post the reference you are trying to use and we'll see what we can do?

David
silly old begger
David, many thanks for the swift reply, one of the pictures I am trying to post is [img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/sillyoldbegger/3125880762/. All the rest have a similar address. Hopefully this will give some idea as to what's wrong
All the best Mike S
dwb
O 'eck. ohmy.gif

Ok As you should see below, I succeeded but it wasn't easy. I used the URL you posted to find the image page on Flikr. Then after some experimentation, I did a right mouse click on the image and selected "Copy image location". This puts the image URL into the paste buffer.

Then I selected the "IMG" icon in the edit box and inserted the contents of the paste buffer. I still use the incredibly old <shift><insert> key combo. Without the img tags at either side, it looks like this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3211/312588...b99733c.jpg?v=0

Now this isn't quite what the Forum software is looking for and it whines about "dynamic tags". So I removed the ?v=0 at the end and hey Presto, you see the result below.

Now it's your turn wink.gif

David
silly old begger
Hello again David,
Well I'm up for a non starter. I cannot even find 'copy image location', yes I right clicked on the image - both the latge one and the thunbnail, and that was not on the drop down list.
Might it be an idea (if you would be so kind) to treat me as a bit on the daft side (you wouldn't be the first) and lead me through it from the start. i am willing to put the pics elsewhere (as long as it's free) if that would help.
Am logging off now and hope to be back on Wednesday.
Thanks in anticiopation
ATB Mike S
Doug
The forum is looking for an image with URL ending in .jpg, .gif or .png. That's all. Dots, hypens and slashes don't matter. Take the URL of the image and post that between the image tags.

To get the URL of the image, using Firefox, right click on the image and select 'Copy Image Location'. In Internet Explorer, right click on the image, select 'Properties', then select the Address URL in the Properties dialog box, Copy it to the clipboard by pressing 'Ctrl-C'.

Paster the URL by pressing 'Ctrl-V' in the post box. Enclose the URL in the image tags.
dwb
Mike: I cannot even find 'copy image location', yes I right clicked on the image

Doug: using Firefox, right click on the image and select 'Copy Image Location'.

I use Firefox. I guess that means Mike is using Internet Explorer?

David

silly old begger
Hi again David,
I was not using either Internet Explorere or Firefox. The one I was using was AOL's web bropwser. That said I have downloaded Firefox and will now have a go at sending a picture. Here goes fingers crossed (and the eyes at the moment
Regards Mike
silly old begger
David, well I'm blowed, it actually worked. AND , I almost got the picture where I wanted it.
VERY MANY THANKS for your help
Merry Christmas
Mike S
dwb
Here goes

Sometimes the "Preview Post" option in "Full Edit" allows you to experiment "in private" before going mainstream.

I am pleased to see you've got the photo you wanted and look forward to more in the future thumbsup.gif

David
Geoff
Hi there,

I have faithfully followed the instructions in this thread, but seem to be unable to post images from my Flickr account.

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help?

Thank you,

Geoff
Doug
Go to the image you require, you can use the preview image if the original is over 800 pixels wide. Simple right click on the image and copy the URL (image location) of the image to the clipboard.

Paste the URL between the IMG tags on the forum:
CODE
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/217/480271395_ba23f08830.jpg[/img]

That gives this:

You can click the All Sizes link above the photo. Below the photo, Flickr gives you the URL of the larger photos. Select a size less than 800 pixels wide, copy it and paste it between the image tags on the forum:

CODE
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/217/480271395_1eab0368bc_o.jpg[/img]

The button above your post box, is a quick way of diing this. Click it and paste the photo URL into the space provided. Click 'OK' and the image will be formatted properly.
Brian Considine
Now I know that photographs of cats incur the wrath of others, but surely dogs are not allowed either - or are they "railway Dogs" ?

Then I thought that maybe the ladders were the "railway connection" as they could look like rails but only the bottom section has a constant gauge............
Geoff
Thanks Doug all sorted!

The URL I had copied was not the correct one with the 'farm' reference and jpg at the end. Will know now for future use.

smile.gif
Lord Castellan Creed
Imageshack is a very good hosting software and it is completely free. You can also create an account on the site that allows you to host your own gallery's and find the URL's whenever you need it.
Thanks,
Lord Castellan Creed,
windsor lad
Now I'm completely confused!!!...dot com!
Which is it to be?

Some of you use imageshack, some of you say don't use photobucket. Some of you have no problem with one or either...and I cant use either as I don't get the method, despite some saying it's easy.

Haaayyyulp!

Exasperated of Fleet...
sad.gif
dwb
Ok, take a deep breath, here we go.

As a Plus member you can load photos directly to albums on this Forum. You access your Album via the second row of menu items just below the banner. You need to click "My Albums".

The next step is to create an album, unless you've already done so in a previous attempt to post photos. There's a button at the top left labelled "New Album". Press it and fill in the boxes. Check the "Public" checkbox so other people can see your photos.

When you are happy with the name and description, click the "Create Album" button. You will get a message saying the album was created and then a list of your current albums will be displayed. At the right of this list is a drop down list box which describes operations you can carry out. Choose "Upload image". This will take you to a new screen where you can enter a whole lot of data but the part that really matters is the "BROWSE" button which you will see near the bottom of the screen.

Press the BROWSE button and you can wander around your computer until you find the image you want to upload. For simplicity, we will just look for standard digital camera images or JPEGs. When you have found the photo you want, just press the "Open" button. You are returned to the image entry screen. You can enter other data if you like, such as a title, the copyright and description, but all that remains is to press the "Post Image" button.

Until you press the "Post Image" button, nothing happens. The Forum software takes no interest in your photo, how big it is, what kind of image it is, until you press this button. Once you have pressed the button, the Forum software will check that it understands the type of file (JPG for example), it will check how big the file is - the limit is about 2M bytes in my experience, and how many pixels the image has - this limit seems to be somewhere between 2 and 3 mega pixels - ie 1600 x 1200 or there abouts. If you want to include photos in your posts, this is way too big as the Forum layout is set for a maximum of 800 pixels wide in any case. I reduce my images to approximately 640 x 480 before uploading. If I want more detail, I just select the area of interest first.

This uploading stage following "Post Image" is the most likely place where there will be a problem. The causes are usually wrong image type (ie not a JPG); file too big (size >~ 2MB); picture too big (size >~ 2 Mpixels).

A successful upload will take you to a screen which displays your image. On the bottom right of this display there is a box labelled "Hotlinking & BB Code". This contains four entries. For including the photo in your post, you need the one labelled "Image link". This is where we get into the "cut and paste via the mouse procedure".

Left click your mouse pointer in the "Image Link" edit box. This selects the image link text. Now right click your mouse on this selection and select "Copy" from the menu options which appear. The image link text is now in your computer's "Paste buffer".

To add this image to your post, start a post and at the point where you want the image to appear, left click the little "image" icon which is fourth from the right above the edit box. This will pop up a box asking for an image URL (unique resource locator). Hover your mouse over the "Http://" text which is highlighted, right click and select "Paste" from the menu. The contents of the paste buffer you fetched from the image gallery will replace the "http://" with everything needed for your picture to be fetched from the gallery. Press "OK" and you should see something like this in your edit box:-

CODE
[img]http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/uploads/1266003550/gallery_507_140_257.jpg[/img]

The "img" text tells the display code that an image is coming. The stuff between the two "img" texts is the image url which you collected from the gallery. For a final check, you can click "Preview Post" at the foot of the page and you can then tell if the upload succeeded.

That's all there is to it.

David

32c
Hi there,
can i use Windows photo galley to post photos on the MRF site,i find its easy to use on eBay and sending via. emails etc,
thanking you Mike,
Doug
You should be able to if they give you online albums.

Upload your photos to the Windows Live Photo Gallery, copy the URL of the images, selecting a suitable size (700 to 800 pixels wide), then pasting the URL between the image tags on the forum.
Greg H
"How do I further refine the URL"

Many replies talk of an URL. In all seriousness what is an URL? wacko.gif I can only think Up Relief Line biggrin.gif (yes, I am that computer illiterate) but, somehow I doubt that's the answer in this case. huh.gif
Greg.
dwb
URL - Uniform Resource Locator.

Basically it tells your web browser where to go and get an object. In this case, you want the browser to display a photo, so the URL tells it where to go and fetch it. So if you've uploaded your photos to Photo bucket, the URL will tell the browser the address of Photo bucket and where in Photo bucket to get the actual photo.

HTH

David
Rowan
I've noticed that some folks have a small image on there thread and you can click on it to enlarge it . How is that done please ?
Thank you .

smile.gif
Doug
These are attached images. As a Plus+ member, you can attach an image to a post using the buttons below the text input box.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.