Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: travel Posters
Model Rail Forum > The Engine Sheds - Community Forums > The Station Concourse
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
Makemineadouble
I have a very Large collection of Railway travel posters.
I will be posting one of these daily. As they are not locomotives I have decided to open a perperate topic rather than post in Towchester Locomotives.

Makemineadouble

Iarnrod
Thanks for this thread, MMD. I see potential for re-sizing to add to the collection on my railway! Any GWR/Western Region stuff in your selection?
Greyvoices
A lovely thread MMAD.

Thank you .............. Greyvoices (alias John)
TonyDaly
I love these old posters.
They have great character.
Keep them coming.
Makemineadouble
theres stuff from all regions to get through some are real works of art.
cool.gif cool.gif
Makemineadouble
OK to demonstrate I give one from each company.

Now that I've satisfied indivual desire, I'll revert to one poster per day, regardless of the orginal company. That way I can work through the collection in an orderly manner without missing items.
cool.gif cool.gif

Iarnrod
Thanks very much. Regardless of region these are lovely!

Dad has a book (which may well have been appropriated by me!) called "The Golden Age of the Railway Poster". I can't link to it here as I can't immediately find it on the internet (although there is a newer one out there) but it is splendid with stuff from round the world. I'm especially fond of the Art Deco & Art Nouveau examples.
Makemineadouble
theres a lot of Art-deco, mainly from London transport. I'd put them up now but then I might loose sequence and miss something out.
dwb
A wide variety of reproductions of posters from days gone by are available. Many are available from - http://www.ssplprints.com/

which describes itself as

Science & Society Picture Library (SSPL) represents the collections of the Science Museum Group of museums, which comprises the Science Museum, the National Railway Museum, the National Media Museum and Museum of Science & Industry. SSPL also represents a number of other related image collections from outside of the museums, many of which are available for purchase as prints online

However there are so many to view - literally thousands - I would much prefer follow MMaD's gentle publication process! wink.gif

David
Makemineadouble
hoonsou
Thanks for posting these MMaD. So full of character and better than photo's.
Makemineadouble
thanks Hoonsou nice to be mentioned in dispatches cool.gif cool.gif

LNER T Purvis 1926
Makemineadouble

Makemineadouble

Makemineadouble

TonyDaly
That last GWR poster is a beautiful one. thumbsup.gif
Maz066
Love the spam cans
Makemineadouble

Makemineadouble
KD Shoesmith, 1929

TonyDaly
thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif
Makemineadouble
my postings might seem Bias toward to southern and the GWR at the moment.
"only because they needed the business", biggrin.gif and for that reason they issued
the most posters ! ohmy.gif

TonyDaly
No problem at all.
I'm not a bit biased so anything is acceptable.
Some of those GWR posters are brilliant.
Makemineadouble
one might say works of art biggrin.gif
TonyDaly
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 17 Nov 2015, 18:15) *
one might say works of art biggrin.gif

Absolutely.
Some of them are superb thumbsup.gif
Darren Atkins
Can someone tell me how to delete my account please?
Searched help and account settings, no joy!
hoonsou
Keep 'em coming, and yes, I think they're works of art.
Makemineadouble

Iarnrod
Do you have a date for the Southern electrification one? It's fascinating!
Makemineadouble
guess 1930's

W Goble c 1931
Iarnrod
Oooh, had seen the Southern Ireland one before but forgotten it. IIRC it might have been in the management offices at Paddington which I visited on London Poppy Day a couple of years ago.

Bearing in mind my background and the supposed area of my layout this may well be saved & copied fr use...
TonyDaly
Thank you for that last one.
Down my way.
kristopher1805
Great posters MMD please keep them coming, I also always liked the carriage scenic pictures some railways used.
Makemineadouble
Thanks for all the comments, as it's Friday heres a bonus.

F Mason 1938

Makemineadouble
C Pears 1938

Freda lingstrom 1931

Makemineadouble
F Mason 1946

kristopher1805
Reminder there of how democracy should not work, rightly it says Tintern Abbey England, however in 1975 without reference to the population Monmouthshire was given to Wales where it sits today. The border was the Rhymney River once upon a time.

No problems with this myself except that the local people should have been asked first
Makemineadouble
I dont think I want to be involved in border political debates. As far as I'm concerned I regard
it as England .
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

l Cusden 1939
Makemineadouble
E Coffin 1936
Makemineadouble
sarah
That "Holiday Haunts" poster does remind one that the 2nd War was coming....

Thanks for the postings, all very interesting...

London from the air (GWR) is a case in point
reddo
Superb, and such sentiments and images of simpler times. The London ones are amazing, not a high-rise building in sight. I also have the 'Posters book mentioned on page 1 of the thread. Unfortunate name for an artist - E Coffin.
Makemineadouble
thanks for the comments. biggrin.gif

Ralph Amp Brown_ c 1923
Bizman
QUOTE (reddo @ 26 Nov 2015, 05:43) *
The London ones are amazing, not a high-rise building in sight.
In the 1960s I worked in the highest building in London, it was 10 storeys high! It was used by the Post Office Engineering Department (now BT) and the 'Post Office Tower', now the BT Tower was under construction.
reddo
Ah yes, Ron. I visited the Post Office Tower on a school trip in 1969 I think it was. Quite something it was in those days...
Makemineadouble
kristopher1805
The LMS Aiming high, I assume that is Mercury winged messenger of the gods, ergo come on our steam trains the gods approve!
Makemineadouble
Makemineadouble
Makemineadouble

W Goble
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.