Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My HO Loft Layout
Model Rail Forum > The Engine Sheds - Community Forums > On My Layout
Pages: 1, 2
alanoes
Hi all,
This is a brief overview of my HO layout in the loft.
I started collecting Fleischmann track, locos and rolling stock back in the seventies but only had the space, and time to create a couple of temporary layouts.
In 1989, after starting my own electrical contracting business, I decided I needed some permanent office space, so I moved up into the converted loft space. Well, I didn't need all the space for an office, did I rolleyes.gif !
I spent the next 5 years or so, on and off, designing and building my layout. It is not meant to be prototypical in any way and is purely the product of my imagination. I wanted only steam locos, but there are
probably some items of scenery and signals that belong to a more modern era. By the mid nineties, I had a working railway that I could run 8 locos on and about two thirds of the scenery completed.
The layout includes 3 round and round tracks and a shuttle line from the main station, that works its way up over 3 levels to another station on the top level. Each of the 4 tracks has a passing zone hidden
behind the scenes.
This was of course, a DC layout, and I used block signalling to run 2 locos on each of the 4 track circuits.
By this time I had noticed the onset of DCC and was amazed at what it could do (and the prices biggrin.gif ) This left me a bit disillusioned with my layout and I left it untouched for several years running it occasionally.
This time last year, my grandson was 2 years old, he is a typical boy who loves cars and trains. That was all the excuse I needed to re-start the layout build. Being of the age where I find myself with a bit more
disposable income, I decided to go DCC, and over the past year or so I have stripped out all the spaghetti of the DC control wiring, installed a DCC bus system, soldered up hundreds of droppers. completed a lot
more scenery, including the main railway station, and invested in several DCC sound locos (all Fleischmann) and had some of my old DC locos converted to DCC sound.
The layout also incorporates an original Faller Road System. When it ran with the DC layout, it was synced with the level crossing gates and lights to stop the cars when a train approached and the barriers closed.
That went when I stripped the old control wiring out, but I will eventually re-do it with DCC control. I have new Viessmann electronic barriers in place , as the original Faller ones were controlled with lengths of
cotton that eventually tangled and snapped, the Faller level crossing house is still standing though.
The next job is to rewire all the points back and connect them to DCC control.
At the moment I am using a Fleischmann MultiMAUS system to run the locos. I have purchased a Z21 system and eventually want to run the majority of the locos with Train Controller Gold.
Below is a track layout plan. The thin red line represents the loft wall or scenery line, all track above and to the right of it cannot be seen.

Below is a brief video overview of the layout to date, please excuse the dodgy video.

Regards
Alan
Adrian Ross
Hello,

thanks for the video. It wasn't that dodgy.

unlike this:
the original Faller ones were controlled with lengths of cotton
blink.gif
Babz
Alan Good Afternoon Thank you for Sharing, Your Layout Plans and Little Video, VERY VERY Nice Indeed, I am glad i am not the only one who wants and Uses Fleischmann Track, I know it has it's Faults and is Quite Pricey But I really Like it. I promise when I start Laying my Track I will Give Picture Updates as I go along. Babs
Ian555
Hi Alan,

Another HO Layout...looking good.

I hope you have a stair for access to the loft... smile.gif

Ian.

Allegheny1600
Hello Alan,
A lovely video of a lovely layout!
Thank you for sharing and it's really good to see another Fleischmann fan and also a fan of Prussian railways!
Pröst!
John.
Victor Chong
Hi Alan looking at your video on the layout makes me feel ashamed on my uncompleted layout since i started "building" it 20 years ago.
alanoes
[quote name='Adrian Ross' date='4 Jul 2016, 10:48' post='476945']
Hello,

thanks for the video. It wasn't that dodgy.

unlike this:
blink.gif
the original Faller ones were controlled with lengths of cotton

Thanks Adrian
LOL, that was the technology back in the day. Faller B-174

Regards
Alan
alanoes
QUOTE (Babz @ 4 Jul 2016, 12:20) *
Alan Good Afternoon Thank you for Sharing, Your Layout Plans and Little Video, VERY VERY Nice Indeed, I am glad i am not the only one who wants and Uses Fleischmann Track, I know it has it's Faults and is Quite Pricey But I really Like it. I promise when I start Laying my Track I will Give Picture Updates as I go along. Babs

Hi Babs,
Glad you liked it, as said, I've always chosen Fleischmann. Back in the early seventies I think it was the best quality you could get in the UK, and the brass track was a revelation. No Profi Track in those days biggrin.gif
I know things have changed now, but I still like Fleischmann/Roco
Look forward to seeing your layout progress
Regards
Alan
alanoes
QUOTE (Ian555 @ 4 Jul 2016, 13:31) *
Hi Alan,

Another HO Layout...looking good.

I hope you have a stair for access to the loft... smile.gif

Ian.

Hi Ian,
Glad you liked it, no stairs up to the loft. Access by loft ladder. It keeps the other half out of the man cave biggrin.gif
Regards
Alan
alanoes
QUOTE (Allegheny1600 @ 4 Jul 2016, 13:51) *
Hello Alan,
A lovely video of a lovely layout!
Thank you for sharing and it's really good to see another Fleischmann fan and also a fan of Prussian railways!
Pröst!
John.

Hi John,
Thanks for your nice comments.
Regards
Alan
alanoes
QUOTE (Victor Chong @ 4 Jul 2016, 15:02) *
Hi Alan looking at your video on the layout makes me feel ashamed on my uncompleted layout since i started "building" it 20 years ago.

Hi Victor,
Thanks for your comments, I know how you feel, mine was left untouched for many years, it was only getting a grandson spurred me into carrying on.
I'm so glad I did though, I'm really enjoying it, going to DCC was like starting again. Probably by the time I've finished there will be newer and better technology
Regards
Alan
alanoes
Hi all,
Further to my recent layout post, I thought I would show you the sloping control panel surface that once housed the multitude of switches, relays, timers and other controls, not to mention the transformers
that were needed to run the layout in its DC days, every hole you see drilled through it had several cables coming through. I have now added programming track along the bottom edge.
My plan is to extend out 10 - 12 inches along the top edge level with the base board to put a row of houses / shops on the other side of the road to the station.
The Viessmann 5574 push switch is just temporarily connected so I could test a couple of items.

Regards
Alan
alanoes
Hi all,
I have decided to invest in a Train Safe storage system

http://shop.train-safe.de/en/home/

I think its a great idea, a dust proof storage / display system for locos and rolling stock when not in use.
It is pretty expensive, but good quality stuff, and when you consider the amount of money we have invested in our locos and rolling stock, it puts it more into perspective rolleyes.gif

The first job was to plan where on the layout I could use the system , in my case, there was only one feasible place to load and offload traffic, and that was from the roadway that runs along the front of the layout.

This is the area that needed some adaption to take the track adaptor. It meant I would need a new right hand curved point and point motor, easier said than done when you're working with old Fleischmann brass
Model track wacko.gif
I removed some fencing, measured up, and cut away the grass sheet to take the new track work.

After finding one on ebay, from Holland ! , I cut a section of track and fitted the new point, track and adaptor.

Then re-routed and reinstated the fencing, adding a working gate.

Regards
Alan

alanoes
I decided on their " Vision" system, as you can actually drive trains in and out of the storage units, and the basic aluminium racking system, as it reasonably cheap, holds more storage units and is expandable.
I have purchased some racking, one 50cm tube, and one 120cm tube to get me started, and I will get more tubes as finances permit wink.gif
For this racking system, they make single brackets, as shown below.

Or double brackets, a great idea if your short on space.

Regards
Alan
alanoes
Here is a video of the system in use, I can get to this location from anywhere on the layout, with some forward and reverse shunting, which makes it fun to use too biggrin.gif
Sorry if its a bit long winded. The storage units do slot in place a lot easier when I'm not trying to get around the camera and tripod smile.gif

Regards
Alan
Ian555
Hi Alan,

Very nice storage system.

Ian.

alanoes
Hi all,
I've started on a little agricultural area in one corner of the layout, where I will have a wheat field and probably a potato crop.
I am using Busch 1204 wheat strips, quite time consuming but looks good (imo).

I have got past this awkward corner ,so can now construct the full 10cm X 10cm box contents and hopefully lay them quicker.

Regards
Alan
alanoes
Latest addition , TRIX 22261 VT 11.5 Trans Europ Express.

Regards
Alan

alanoes
Continuing with the front extension, I made up some brackets to suite the angle and installed some Conti Board shelving to give me about 8inches additional width to fit a small street/town scene on the other side
of the road to the main station.

I then bridged the gap and made up the slightly different levels with varying thicknesses (between 0.5 and 2mm) plasticard, to give me a nice smooth clean suface.

and I've added a Noch "country road" (as it was grey) to come off the faller roadway and wind its way around the left hand end of the layout.

You may notice that I've removed some of the Faller road surface near the level crossing, this is another ongoing project to fit stop magnets and sensors under the road surface for use with the Faller Traffic
Control System which will operate the crossing barriers and allow up the 3 vehicles to stop behind each other on either side of the level crossing. That is still in the early stages and I will keep you posted on that.
I have purchase several kit buildings including a church and some farm buildings that will keep me busy constructing over the Christmas break.
Regards
Alan

alanoes
Over the last few months, I have added to the Train Safe storage system and the display wall is now looking quite impressive IMHO

Kind regards
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all

Alan

Allegheny1600
Thanks Alan,
You too buddy!
Looking a clean and professional job with the roadways and the trains on the wall look wonderful.
All the best,
John.
Anthony566
Loving the wheat field .... very nicely done.
alanoes
Hi all,
Just an update of what's been happening lately. physically not much.
You may remember I was going to swap my control to Z21 and install Train Controller Gold Software to automate the layout a bit.
Well, after doing that, it took me some time, what with work and other things, to create my "Swithboard" etc in train controller but that all went well.
Then I started to connect the points to the to the Z21 system, I was a bit apprehensive about this as I was using Roco 10775 turnout controllers to operate my 20 odd Fleischmann points,
as I had read many accounts of how difficult it was to set them up regarding the addressing, but I downloaded the Roco maintenance tool to remove the +4 issue and everything went fine.
That is, until I tried to operate the double slip. The switching action was juddery and didn't always make a full switch over ( as an electrician, that's something I would associate with wrong voltage)
Its a long time ago now but I'm pretty sure it worked fine when the layout was DC and it was controlled with the little green Fleischmann switches from the AC side of the old transformers.
But in saying that, every other point worked fine. Tried cleaning it up and removing any debris (not that I could see any) from around the moving parts but too no avail. Needless to say, this double slip
has got to be one of the worst turnouts to get access too sad.gif Just to remove the point motor I had to remove part of a station platform

Even with the motor removed from the point, it was still not switching positively Next step , replace the motor, but in trying to do that the lever arm snapped off inside the point mad.gif
Fearing there could be some unseen debris inside the mechanism causing the problem, and a quick google search to see if I could still get a Fleischmann brass Model track double slip, decided to replace the
whole thing. So, de-soldered 8 droppers

Then used a fine cut dremmel blade to cut through the 4 sections of rail at one end to allow removal

For easy locating/fitting of the new unit, I cut the fishplates in half, allowing them to move back and forth along the rail

Tested operation of slip, all ok, and re soldered the droppers

A little bit of rust pen onto the rails, re ballasting of track and fitting back the platform.

Everything working fine now from Z21 control or Train Controller. Next step is to add the magnetic reed switches into the track work to create control blocks for train detection.
Well, that was a long winded way of not telling you much rolleyes.gif
Regards
Alan
dwb
Nicely done. thumbsup.gif

David
Peter Ankers
Hi Alan

I've only just come across your thread as a result of your recent post. I am mightily impressed with your layout and have watched the video demonstrating the Train Safe storage system in use several times. The flashes from the camera of the lineside trainspotter are a wonderful touch !

Best Regards,
Peter A
bjrangi
Hi,

Looking very nice..!
One question who is your photo hosting site.
I normally use photobucket!
But they now require a sum of money to be able to use there services so as i can post here.
Hence my non activity in posting on my forum "Palin Bay.
Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
BJ
TheAndrian
Hi BJ,

He's using PhotoBucket. I'm still using PB with no issues; able to upload and link.

Cheers
Babz
Hi BJ i had the very same issue with PB So i changed to Flickr.com once i got used to the difference it is great at no cost. PB Have certainly lost out recently. Babs
alanoes
QUOTE (dwb @ 25 Nov 2017, 21:14) *
Nicely done. thumbsup.gif

David

Thanks David
Regards
Alan
alanoes
QUOTE (Peter Ankers @ 26 Nov 2017, 15:57) *
Hi Alan

I've only just come across your thread as a result of your recent post. I am mightily impressed with your layout and have watched the video demonstrating the Train Safe storage system in use several times. The flashes from the camera of the lineside trainspotter are a wonderful touch !

Best Regards,
Peter A

Thank you Peter for your comments, yeah, I like the little guy too
Regards
Alan
alanoes
QUOTE (bjrangi @ 27 Nov 2017, 03:37) *
Hi,

Looking very nice..!
One question who is your photo hosting site.
I normally use photobucket!
But they now require a sum of money to be able to use there services so as i can post here.
Hence my non activity in posting on my forum "Palin Bay.
Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
BJ

Thanks BJ
I am using photo bucket. I have used the free version for several years and as far as I'm aware you still can, but it became very slow waiting for all the adds to upload, so I purchased the add free subscription
and its very fast and easy to use now, but there are other free ones out there
Regards
Alan
bjrangi
Hi guys,

Thanks for all responses..and Allan sorry for using your forum to gain info.
So no more, i have decided to use my Flickr account.
A new post from Palin Bay to follow.
Again Allan keep up the great modelling.

Cheers
BJ
alanoes
Another little update.
As mentioned in the last post, I have started fitting the magnetic switches for train detection. I found some really small ones, here's one next to a 5p piece

They were small enough to fit in between the sleepers witch I thought would be a great idea.

Once re-ballasted you would hardly know they were there, but in practise they didn't work out too well, being low down I has to put 2 or three magnets under the loco to activate the switch and even then it
wasn't always a positive switching action. Probably sitting at right angles to the direction of travel didn't help. cool.gif
When you are using these for the most part to prevent locos running in to each other, you need to know that they will work every time, so I abandoned that idea and went for the next size up.

Certainly a lot easier to work with thumbsup.gif After bending the tags, soldering on a couple of cables and drilling holes down between the tracks, these switches run across the top of two sleepers.

A little bit of camouflage and it doesn't look too bad.

Even with one small magnet under the loco, I get a good positive action every time , even at high speeds.
I am still waiting on delivery of the sensor modules so haven't tested them with the software yet, but I'm confident they will be ok, so I'll carry on fitting the other fifty or so wacko.gif
Regards
Alan

dwb
That's interesting. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

David
alanoes
Well, nothing is simple is it smile.gif The track occupancy feedback modules that I was going to use (Roco 10787 at approx. £70 per unit) have been replaced by the Roco 10808 Z21 Detector at over £90 per unit.
The 10808 has many more features than the 10787 but not required if using simple magnetic reed switches. Both the Roco units only have 8 inputs each which works out mighty expensive when you need
50 odd inputs. I probably would have stuck with the 10787's if they had still been available.
I decided to use the digikeijs DR4088RB (opto) units, they are compatible with the Roco 10787 and give you 16 inputs each at around £55 per unit thumbsup.gif
They arrive factory set up as 2 X 10787's, that is, feedbacks 1:1 to 1:8 and 2:1 to 2:8, each additional unit has to be reconfigured in sequence. After a few false starts, I managed to configure all units and test
them on Z21 and Train Controller by connecting the one reed switch I have wired up at present to varying input terminals on the modules, all great.
Next issue, now that I have committed to fitting reed switches in the track work, I need to access the high level back part of the layout to fit the switches, easy before I built the main station area in the foreground,
but now very difficult without risking damage to something. I remembered seeing a frame work specifically for this while browsing the Micro Mart website model railway section a while back. It was called the
"Topside Creeper" Googling this gave no results in the UK (only US) and also showed it was actually a car mechanics aid that Micro Mart had found an extra use for. Micro Mart, luckily, did not ship to UK, as I
found it cheaper in the mechanic/engineering sites. It's not cheap at around £300 and being so heavy, the shipping from US was about £100, but its a great idea and has allowed me to reach the back of
the layout without having to clamber over anything.

It does fold down, but still takes up a fair bit of space, so once the back reed switches have been fitted, wired and tested, I will probably disassemble it and store the pieces round the back of the loft, ready for
when it is needed again.
Regards
Alan

Allegheny1600
Hi Alan,
Congratulations on getting a Topside Creeper!
I looked into getting one of these a few years ago but I found it impossible like you say, MicroMark doesn't offer UK shipping on it. I never knew where else you could get such a thing.
My plans changed and subsequently, I always plan to have slimmer layouts but it's good to know they can be obtained.
Good luck with those reed switches and detectors.
John.
alanoes
Thanks John,
I plan to dismantle it when I've finished using it as it takes up too much room even when folded down.

Here is a little video overview of my layout, I found it lurking on the iPad. It was taken at the end of 2016. I've had to overdub the sound track with music, as there is a lot of audio interference when the iPad
got down at low track level. You may want to lower the volume level rolleyes.gif

Regards
Alan
alanoes
Hi All,
Its been a while since my last update.
I have now installed and tested all the feedback module reed switches and done some messing around with Train Controller Gold setting up routes schedules etc.
I have decided to add some physical signals to the layout that will mimic the inbuilt control signals in TCG. I have purchased some nice Viessmann semaphore signals to fit on the lower level, but up on the top level station it was too difficult to fit those due to the drive unit needing to be below the signal mast. Up on that level there are 2 or 3 layers of timber with not much space between them, and solid in parts.
I found a couple of old Fleischmann signals that I've had for years and was surprised to find that not only did they still work but could be controlled via the Z21 and TCG.
These signals have a surface drive unit, and although it still wasn't easy, I managed to use a long drill bit and fishing wire to make a hole and feed the wires through all the layers.
Where the line stops at the end of the shuttle line station I've used a single arm signal that can show Hp0 (stop) and Hp1 (proceed at permitted speed). As this is the end of the line, it will always show Hp0, but if for some reason it gets switched to Hp1, as the loco enters the "block" before the station, TCG will switch it to Hp0. At the other end of the platform in the direction the trains depart, I've used a 2 arm signal that shows Hp0 and Hp2 (proceed at reduced speed) . When the train approaches, this signal also switches to Hp0, and when the train is ready to depart, switched to Hp2.

These signals don't have the same slow, smooth action as the Viessmann ones but will have to do.

Btw I doubt if any of this is prototypical and that's not a concern for me (there's plenty on my layout that isn't rolleyes.gif
Regards
Alan

alanoes
Hi all,
As mentioned in the last post, I had purchased some Viessmann semaphore signals (mostly 4501's and a couple of 4500's)
Have now finished installing them all.

Also decided to replace these old Fleischmann Shunting/stop signals with Viessmann 4517's

They were mechanically connected to electric uncouplers and would never return to the complete horizontal position. I will keep the uncouplers and just remove the mast.
Unlike the semaphore signals, where you just had to drill a 13mm hole to mount them (I say "just", but its not that easy in reality with other scenery in close proximity and lots of wiring beneath the baseboard).
With the 4517's , you need to cut a 15mm square down through the baseboard, which in my case is 6mm of fibre board on top of 18mm of chipboard yikes.gif
But I slowly and carefully got there

and am very happy with the result

Regards
Alan

Stay Safe x

alanoes
BTW
In case you didn't see this on my post in the "HO latest purchases" section , this video shows the slow smooth action of the Viessmann signals compared to the old Fleischmann ones.

Regards
Alan
Norman Byrne
Hello Alan,
Have just had a very enjoyable read through your loft layout thread, it being one that had not come across before, and it makes a very pleasurable and interesting read, including the videos. So good you rediscovered your interest and enthusiasm again, well done the little controller.
It’s a really nice layout, and am interested that you bit the bullet in terms of moving from DC to DCC; but have to say being still very much in DC mode in my loft, which has also had a pause in activity for a good few years, until recently, but also am impressed that you managed to get any electrical contracting work done in your loft office, with such a distraction being beside you.
Your pictures of your now defunct DC control panel and track diagram, was also very impressive, but the now use of the extended front baseboard area and new scenery looks great. Also well done on the recent challenging baseboard cut outs, in finished areas !
Good luck with the ongoing / future development of the layout, including all the more recently added new signals / etc. Look forward to seeing things progress.
Thanks, Cheers Norm
alanoes
Hi Norm,
Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my efforts.
Yes , there were some days when not much office work got done biggrin.gif
I am so glad I did "bite the bullet" as you say, I have only ever purchased DCC sound locos and included or added smoke generators where possible, and have achieved a level of realism (with the sound mostly) that I could only dream of when running DC.
I remember having some units called "Chuff Boxes" I think, That generated a chuffing sound that speeded up as you increased the voltage on the track, it was pretty good for its day, but the sound was still localised and didn't fade off into the distance as the train moved farther away as it now does with DCC, the smoke is a personal thing, some people don't like it as it is not that realistic, but my grandchildren love it ! , and as I think I've said before, you can turn it off.
I have followed your build on and off over the years , you have a very nice layout, and its good to see you are back in the mix again.
Looking forward to some more recent pics.
Regards
Alan
Babz
Alan Good Afternoon Hope you are well, Can i ask what is the longest ( Trainsafe ) Case that you have as i have some long Trix trains 6 car Grey Mouse SBB and i do not want to keep taking them Apart all the time , also once you have the train in the case do they slide around or are they stable for a better word. Thank You
Babs
alanoes
Hi Babs
I am fine thank you, hope you and yours are well too.
The longest case I have is 210cm, that houses my Orient Express + 7 coaches that is approx. 190cm long.
That one has wall bracket support centres at 120cm apart.
They make cases from 30cm to 300cm
Most of the ones I have are in what they call the short range, that have support centres at 30cm apart , the longest in that range is 180cm
Regarding the stability, I can only comment on the "vision" system that has brass tracks embedded in the base that allows you do drive your trains in and out of the storage boxes. They are reasonably stable, obviously it is best to hold them as level as possible, and I think from experience that it depends on the loco etc inside them as to how much they roll when tilted in the horizontal plane. As for tilting or leaning them back and forth, again the trains stay pretty stable. I'm pretty sure I answered this question for someone else, but cant seem to find it, but we're talking about 25 / 30 degrees before the train starts to tilt.
If you have looked into it, you will know that this system is pretty expensive , they do a couple of other ranges that are a bit less expensive, one with flat base purely for display and one with "tracks" grooved into the base where you need to push the trains in and out onto your layout.
Hope this is of help to you
Regards
Alan

Stay Safe All
Babz
Alan Good Afternoon Thank You for all the info Sorry for the delay in replying, It is going to need more thought i am torn between the see through version or the carry version to protect the train you can still load the train onto the tracks in the same method.Thank you and stay safe.
Babs
alanoes
English translation of the Viessmann Catenary Book

Hi all, hope you are all safe and well.

Well, I've invested quite a bit of time and effort into this, but I have finally created my own English version of the Viessmann catenary book (for my own personal use of course)

I used a "Scanmarker" text scanner, that can recognise many languages and translate between any two, I started off using the translation mode to scan text direct to my desk top publishing software, but as you probably know, a direct translation of most
languages does not appear exactly as we would say it in English. So I found it quicker and easier to scan the German text direct into Google Translate, where I could then proof read and edit as required before copying and pasting into my DTP document.
In conjunction with this, I used a "iScan" A4 hand held photo scanner to scan the images off the pages. I then, cropped and edited them as required in Faststone Image Viewer, (which despite the "Viewer" in its title, is a very capable piece of photo editing software), before, again, pasting them into my DTP document.

I'm very pleased with the results and although some of the translation may not have come out exactly as written, I have already learned a great deal more about the installation of the Viessmann catenary system, and its components, than I did before starting this project, and as a bonus, I've also learnt a few German words and phrases too, although I doubt they'd get me very far asking for the nearest pizza restaurant biggrin.gif

The photo above shows the Viessmann book, (top), and my copy below it.

Why Viessmann doesn't produce an English version has always puzzled me, as I'm sure they would sell many copies.

Regards
Alan
Richard Holloway
Very well done! thumbsup.gif
Greyvoices
Hats off to you Alan, that is a fantastic piece of work with the translation. Any chance of a digital copy becoming available?

That was rather selfish of me.

I really enjoyed installing Viessmann overheads and catenary on a previous layout and am actively planning to add it to the latest. I have all the Viessmanm literature including their ring binder which is a mine of information but, yes, this too is only produced in German.

I have also been looking at Sommerfeldt and have bought their bilingual booklet which is referenced here on their website. I believe that Scalology in the UK are now importing Sommerfeldt.

I know that some modellers experiment with using a combination of Viessmann and Sommerfeldt and there is some logic to it as the mast system of Viessmann is superb whist the knitting of Sommerfeldt takes some beating.

Anyway ........ keep up the good work Alan and ............... well I admire your skill with scanning, way better than I could ever achieve.

Best regards ................. Greyvoices (alias John)
Babz
Good Afternoon Alan You really have a very large on your hands i admire you. I have found a lot of German companies do not make the effort to translate to English Uhlenbrock which is the system of DCC i use were forced too by British Agents so they could sell more , but they are lazy IMHO. Babs
alanoes
QUOTE (Greyvoices @ 6 Jul 2020, 09:40) *
Hats off to you Alan, that is a fantastic piece of work with the translation. Any chance of a digital copy becoming available?

That was rather selfish of me.

I really enjoyed installing Viessmann overheads and catenary on a previous layout and am actively planning to add it to the latest. I have all the Viessmanm literature including their ring binder which is a mine of information but, yes, this too is only produced in German.

Best regards ................. Greyvoices (alias John)

Hi John,
I would love to be able to pass this on, but fear I would definitely be in breach of Viessmann's copyright sad.gif
I too have the Sommerfeldt manual, which was of a general use, but I still needed more specific instruction on the Viessmann products as that is what I have already purchased.
The Sommerfeldt catenary looks really nice, and would seem to be more accurate, but more work required to put it together, whereas the Viessmann product is a bit more "plug and play" as they say nowadays.

Regards
Alan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.